(when Buying), How Many Miles Should A Used Bike Have?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Dispatch, Nov 11, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Please don't misunderstand, this isn't about once you have already bought a bike, by all means, put as many miles on your bike as you like, enjoy it, this is about 'the view sight from the perspective new buyer', it's about buying one used that has high miles but with the fear of how it was treated by it's current owner...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #42 Pegscraper, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    Unless you know the seller and the bike personally there will always be some "fear" of how the bike has been treated, especially in the first 1k miles from new. The only way to eliminate such doubt is to buy new, otherwise you've just got to weigh up all the pro's and cons of every potential purchase and take a chance.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    Motorcycles are not investments. They are toys, luxury items, that are potentially expensive.
    The "average" US rider rides ~3000 miles per year. At least that's what was used as a figure when I worked in a shop. Some have many more, but it's easy to find bikes with ridiculously low mileage. I have a couple of under utilized bikes myself.
    Buying used can be a chore, particularly in the current market. Everyone thinks their bike is worth retail + 40%.
    Service records, mileage, condition, etc, all common sense items, are key. Wading through the BS is the hard part.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Wouldn't call my primary form of transport and sheer joy since 1977 a toy, EVER ! Zero points for that comment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    I should clarify. My comments are based on US observations. Many, many driveway queens in the US.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    I know, I've seen them trailering their bikes 1000 miles to unload in a motel yard 50 miles from sturgis and ride in like they've crossed the country 20150614_121035.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Graeme_D

Graeme_D Active Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edinburgh
    Neither is mine, however from the people I know around me that have motorbikes, most have done less than 1000 miles in the past year. For a lot of folks, they are indeed toys to be brought out when the sun is shining.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    my stuff is all 50 years old or older. theyre all a bit worn, but probably none does more than 2000 miles a year. but i have 12 or 13 of em so the mileage gets spread out.

i dont worry about resale. im still riding the triumph i bought used 44 years ago. my kids can decide what to do with em when i croak

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Dec 14, 2020

Oh no... it's coming with yeah when the time comes!
    [​IMG]
    -(Psychomania 1973) [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. sikatri

sikatri Member

May 23, 2019
    Houston
    Mileage wouldn’t be my primary concern. Not too high is a good goal. Primarily I’d look at general condition. There’s pitfalls in all scenarios. Buying old used, be prepared to do repairs and maintenance regardless. That’s not necessarily a negative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    The first bike I bought as a "Born Again Biker" in 2013 was a 1995 CBR600F with 50,000 miles. It ran as sweet as a nut and apart from petrol, road tax and insurance, I didn't spend a penny on it in the eight months I owned it. You just have to make sure there's no smoke, no funny noises, no duff bearings and it looks well kept. Then with a bit of luck, all will be well. But, even a new bike can have catastrophic problems.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Dec 14, 2020
    #52 Dispatch, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    Here's a separate issue aside from the topic at hand, I could use some advice on...

I'm considering buying a used bike that's out of state, four states north and 701 miles away from me, one way.

The problem is the rental trailer.

U haul charges about $30 a day to rent one of their open 5' X 8' 'utility trailers' AND based on the distance, they require that you rent it for at least 4 days straight, like it or not.

The only catch is you must return the trailer to the location you picked it up at (round trip).

If it's a one way drop off (pick up the trailer at the bikes location and drop it off at your home U Haul location), they charge you hundreds more on top of the $10 a day for doing so, for some reason.

The dilemma is if I'm going to lug it around from home, in and out of the motels the entire trip, then back home again, is it worth the risk in case the deal falls through, if that happens I'm stuck with it the entire time.

Or would it be more beneficial to get one up north and pay the hundreds more if I actually did buy it? [​IMG]

13. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    My 2018 Speedmaster has 31,000km
    If you are comfortable relying on a professional opinion, I find having a local mechanic do an assessment and then having the bike shipped has worked for a daily rider. :cool:
    If it is to be the love of your life, then take a uhaul with you for the check/deal :p. You will familiarise yourself with towing it, before sticking your baby in to bring home.
    May even be worth doing both based on price range : unamused:

14. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Get in a hire car and go look?
    If happy, come back on the bike and leave the car at the rental place?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Dec 14, 2020
    It's 701 miles away, one way (1,402 miles round trip)!!! [​IMG]

I'm in Florida, it's in NE Virginia.

After careful thought and inquiry, I think the least risk route is by picking up the U Haul trailer in VA and driving it one way, dropping it off here in FL. [​IMG]

16. sikatri

sikatri Member

May 23, 2019
    Houston
    I actually bought my Triumph from California and the dealer I bought it from had it shipped to Houston. Admittedly, I never even physically saw it before buying it, photos and a video. Take the most inexpensive shipping and let them take care of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Not possible being it's many states north of me, it would cost a small fortune in compensating the mechanic to come with me.
    No, it's alright, its an accidental coincidence that I'll be traveling up close to that way for Thanksgiving in a few days.

• Like Like x 1
  18. sikatri

sikatri Member

May 23, 2019
    Houston
    In that case, enjoy the experience and safe travels!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'm with @sikatri. I'd at least check into a motorcycle shipping company such as the one below. With the U-haul prices you quoted and the issues about one-way vs. round trip plus hotels, gas, meals, etc., you may wind up better off just having it shipped. My brother in Minnesota found a boat he wanted to buy that was in Arizona. He figured he could drive out here, have Mr. Sandi and me pick it up from the seller than then hubby and brother would drive it back. Yikes! After adding it all up it was a much better deal--and WAY easier--to have it shipped. And they dropped it off right on his doorstep (so to speak).

https://haulbikes.com/zonemap/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIufLcqdmj9AIVlR6tBh2nzwDqEAAYASABEgJhCfD_BwE

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 10.32.08 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
  20. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Get a good video walk round of the bike both static and running and if you are still happy then shipping as per Sandi's post. If it's coming from a dealer then a written understanding that if it is not as described then deal off and returned at their expense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1