Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hope that check engine light doesn’t indicate anything too terribly troublesome, @Helmut Visor. :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    No pictures I'm afraid, but I went out for a long trip on the Street triple around the North Yorkshire moors yesterday. Thornton Le Dale, Goathland, Guisborough, Great Ayton, Stokesley, Helmsley, Malton. The purple heather on the moors is starting to fade now, but in the warm sunshine it was still nice to see. The bikes ambient temp. thermometer was indicating 22 degrees C on the highest points of Blakey ridge and it was 25 down in valleys. Some of you may recall I smashed my shoulder up pretty badly early in Spring. I was out riding for 4 hours, but it wasn't my shoulder causing problems. After 3 of the 4 hours it was my derriere. ;) Still I don't think 3 hours in the saddle was too bad and a credit to the seat on the Triumph. Its not as plush as my Guzzi, but then the Guzzi has no pretentions to being a sporty bike.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Great to hear your shoulder is not bothering you John. Three hours in the saddle is plenty!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #19584 learningtofly, Sep 6, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    Got the bike booked in with Freddy Trott tomorrow (I know, technically not today ;)), for the full monty pre-winter prep, including:

✅citrus pre-wash
    ✅Snowfoam safe wash (remove any contaminates)
    ✅fully blow dried
    ✅XCP or ACF50 misted over engine, suspension etc
    ✅extra XCP applied to banjo bolts and any other I know needs extra
    ✅2 stage machine polish to remove any imperfections (yes new bikes have many)
    ✅prep all bodywork
    ✅apply either Ultimaxx Signature pro the Signature Quartz ceramic (5 year) ceramic
    ✅optional air brush application of ceramic making sure to get full coverage
    ✅apply titanium gel chain lube
    ✅before/after video supplied

Aside from the fact that Freddy has to be one of the best bike detailers in the business, I've always liked the way the chain is treated (it comes back with a kind of white wax on it, which lasts for ages without picking up a load of road detritus). I may hunt it down and give it a go myself, although I have a fair bit of Maxima Chain Wax to get through yet, and it's one of the most highly rated lubes/waxes out there.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Are you going to post before and after pics? I hope so! :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #19586 learningtofly, Sep 6, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    Well, apparently I get a before and after video so I'll post that. Trouble is, the bike is still pretty new and has only seen dry miles, so it won't be as much of a contrast as it would be with an old & dirty machine!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I had the afternoon off work today, much needed as I worked last weekend and am working this weekend. Went out for about 85 miles on the Street Triple on my definition of a hoon - to @andyc1 it would likely have been very steady, I didn't even destroy the rear tyre in the process :p.

Commuted on the Blade yesterday so it was the Striple's turn....plus the Blade gets HOT :sweat:.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Wowzer, @learningtofly! The first three items on that pre-winter prep list sound like something I'd get at my next hair appointment. ;):joy: Maybe even better! All that and your narrative about Freddy make me wish we had a Freddy here in southern Arizona. But we wouldn't need him for a pre-winter prep, I guess, just a good ol' detailing. I'm with @Dawsy, before and after pics, please! Even if there's not much difference, I like to see photos of that black beauty of yours. :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Su han an early finish from work today, so off to the Fish Inn for a beer n burger :)

375320345_10161506599050625_8157555000820285927_n.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  10. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    LOLZ. I’m sure Freddy would do your hair for you if you asked nicely, @Sandi T :grinning:

Do you even see rust on bikes over there?

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    We don't see a speck of rust on the bikes here in southern Arizona, but I'm sure my nephews in Minnesota have seen plenty of bikes with lots of rust. One of the positives of living in the desert. :):sun::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #19592 Eldon, Sep 7, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    I bought some new boots, well two pair actually, his n hers, for use on my Street Twin. Really comfy and dead easy on/off plus they have a proper tread for walking about unlike my 765 paddock boots (dangerously smooth soles on wet grass).

20230906_232853.jpg

Obviously, one problem solved another one created :rolleyes:

With the new boots being bulkier, the gearchange just didn't feel right, have you gathered yet that I'm a little fussy about the bike fitting and being just right.... OCD :confounded:

The ST gearlever isn't on a linkage and I wanted it to come up 5mm and ideally 5mm further out ummmm :confused:

Old lever end.

20230907_073109.jpg

Now that looks a little chunky and if it had a diet then my 5mm desire could be realised :idea:

A quick mock up for a test ride, fuel pipe and spare bolt, proved dimensions good.

Fired up the lathe, whilst making a friend some model fairground ride parts :blush:, and abracadabra. A nice straight knurl to add finish without scuffing my new boots.

What do you think?

20230906_214708.jpg

20230906_215156.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  13. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Senior Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    I've had my 2010 bonneville se for 3 years August so decided that it was time for new oil, filters, and plugs.
    Now before anyone has a fit I've done less than 2500 in that time.
    Anyway on removing the plugs I found they were quite white, I had to go to the triumph dealer for a new crush washer and mentioned the plugs to them. I was asked if it had after mart exhaust its got Norman Hyde's fitted and the guy said that was the problem so I asked as it's an efi and I can't do it could they adjust it. He said the only option was to put the original exhaust back on as it can't be adjusted.
    Is that right or have I just been fobbed off.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  14. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    I would contact Norman Hyde for advice.

• Like Like x 2
  15. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Well here's the video as promised. Ignore Freddy's reference to "new client" - he knew I wasn't so I suspect it was just artistic licence!

£250 all in, including a VERY generous application of ceramic coating (5 year). Can't complain at that!

• Like Like x 6
  16. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    That looks amazing! I wish my Speedy was gloss instead of the stupid Matt finish

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Yeah, I was offered the matt tank at no extra cost but turned it down. I do prefer this one but it’ll also be far easier to maintain.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    New rear tyre fitted after my recent puncture. Got to say I love the sssa on my Speed Triple as it only took minutes to put the wheel back on without getting covered in chain gunk and no faffing about with wheel alignment and chain tension.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    #19599 Boothman, Sep 8, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
    Lots of cleaning and a bit of rubbing down and spray work on the engine bar from where I lay her down (having forgot I’d put the side stand up :mad:).
    upload_2023-9-8_19-10-22.jpeg

Also, having now decided to keep my Tiger (the plan was to sell after doing the NC500) I've ordered a scottoiler that I’ll fit next weekend :cool:

• Like Like x 5
  20. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Good job!:grinning:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1