Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Steady there !!!! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. flapinflares

flapinflares Active Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Leiestershire
    Ha ha ...That's thinking!

• Like Like x 1
  3. DaveTheSuperVillain

DaveTheSuperVillain Active Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Takeley, Essex
    Red Thunder:

I wear Daytona Evo-Sports GTX (Gore-Tex) which I think are pretty similar. I bought them owing to the reviews I'd read online etc regarding the protection levels in crashes etc, and people regularly saying they seem to easily last a good 10 years plus (an you can buy separate inner and outer boots directly if you only need to replace part). My previous Alpinestars boots were not a lot cheaper and started to have minor breaks (loosing bolts etc and eventually the lacing mechanism snapped) after about a year and a half, so I thought I'd bite the bullet and go all out boots wise.........to say I love them is un understatement!

I bought them at the NEC bike show, so got a decent deal, having of course tried some on for a fair while. They were (and obviously still are) all day comfortable out of the box and so far perfectly waterproof (almost - if you manage to step in a deep puddle the zipper can let a bit of water through, but even in really heavy rain this has never happened.......so just don't go jumping in puddles)!! :0)

Gloves wise, I swear by Knox (and they are British) :0) For the majority of the time I've got Handroids, which are AMAZING and will only ever be replaced with more Handroids when I need to.....although so far they've served me for almost 3 years and are still in great condition.

For the winter/journeys where I know it's going to be wet, I use Knox Zero's, which have since been updated and replaced with MkII;

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/zero-motorcycle-winter-gloves/

They are not the warmest of gloves for the really cold weather, but I just use glove liners if need be, but they have always proven to be waterproof and are comfortable. They are not the thinnest of gloves out there for a 'feel' point of view (especially compared to the Handroids) but waterproof gloves rarely are.....not sure if the MkII's are any thinner feeling though - yet to try a pair!

Hmmm, starting to sound like a Knox salesman.........

...I'm not I swear! :0)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Cheers Dave, I agree 100% regarding the Handroids, I have a pair myself for the dry weather.
    I will investigate the Zeros'

And the Daytona Evo-Sports GTX will also be looked at, thanks for the recommendations.

5. DaveTheSuperVillain

Jun 19, 2015
    Takeley, Essex
    Glad to be of assistance! If you aren't desperate, it could be worth heading to the NEC Bike show (end of November start).....plenty of offers on usually and almost all varieties of everything is up there to try. Although I'm guessing from your post, sooner is preferred to later for replacements.

If you've not used them before, http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/ is one of the best I've found for browsing......may or may not be the best for the actual purchase, but a lot of stuff on one website......tends to save a lot of messing about whilst narrowing choices down!

6. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Hi Dave, I needed the gloves now, so I have just got back from Metropolis next to Vauxhall in London, I am now £130 poorer, as I now have the Knox Zero 2s'. So glad I went there and tried them on as the 'XL' were way to big on the fingers, but just right on the wrist, and the 'L' were just right on the fingers but a tad tight on the wrist. Baring in mind the leather will slightly stretch to fit, I went for the 'L'
    Also got some boots - Merlin - Aragon which are best for winter and totally waterproof, also scored top marks in a best boots under a £100 on the Visordown website.

Thanks for the recommendations.

7. DaveTheSuperVillain

Jun 19, 2015
    Takeley, Essex
    Expensive day! I'll be interested to know how the Zero 2's perform, especially once it get to colder weather........if they are a lot better then the Zero's it's something else that might have to go on my 'replacement' list! :0(

8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    At Last managed a ride on my thruxton this afternoon. Spent an hour cleaning and polishing then 5 mins admiring then did a 60 mile loop, first time Ive had a proper run seen removing the Air Injection. It now purrs round the country lanes, well it would do if the exhausts would quiten down so you could hear it. Needless to say the lovely sunny afternoon turned into a monsoon so I spent 20mins riding in a swimming pool, at least I had my goggles but no flippers, or budgie smugglers[​IMG] you'll be pleased to hear! When I did get home I noticed something that will be a relevation to all you potential AI removers[​IMG] : previously when getting caught out in the rain, never intentional I may add, and getting home my exhausts would be caked in dirt as the rain didn't "wash off" it was drying on touch so all the crud would get left on my pipes. I noticed when I got home that they were still nice and shiney, although wet so instead of having to wash them, all I had to do was dry them! So obviously its not running so hot!![​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bindie

Bindie New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Fife
    oil and filter, new motobatt battery,gear change rubber and fuel tap knob, all sitting here plus have to drop of seat so it can be recovered. busy afternoon for me.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Today I will mostly be cutting out gaskets. .......And buggering them up. Any more gasket paper ????

11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Keep the blade sharp and the hand steady, and use the Force young wayne taylor

• Like Like x 2
  12. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Yesterday I did an oil change, checked the rear tyre for any leakage from the puncture repair I did on Thursday...all good (new tyre set on order).
    Oil was probably 6.5 to 7k miles old, mix of motorway and London riding so was due.
    Old oil was still slick between the finger and thumb with no grittiness, but I prefer to change earlier than later.

Checked the diagnostics using Tune ECU and the throttle balance is very slightly out, not sure if it is worth adjusting but will keep an eye on it.
    I need to perform a full TPS reset as there have been occasions where the idle has dropped to 1,000 at lights and stalled a couple of times.

Ordered a Tap and Die set to help plug the SAI plates with some bolts, and will plug the outlet from the airbox, having seen on YouTube it being possible to increase the inflow into the air box I wonder if it is possible with the Speed Triple 1050 2010, especially as I have the Arrow cans with baffles out, increasing the outflow. Maybe then change the air filter for a more free breathing kit and then get the bike properly tuned!

13. Bindie

Bindie New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Fife
    well road taxed the trident today,its got fresh oil and filter, new battery, sun is shining (rare occurance in scotland), seats not back yet,...bugger

• Like Like x 1
  14. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Put a towel on it and get out there

15. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Is it that time of the month again

16. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Parked up after my 1hr commute into London, only to find coolant hissing out of the overflow pipe. 10 secs after turning the engine off it was bubbling out from under the seat and steam was everywhere!
    I reckon I have lost about 1/4 a pint at least.

I will check the level before setting off home this afternoon

I will put a Youtube video up this evening, steam is coming out like it is stem powered!

(Could it be related to my oil change at the weekend?)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    did you use coal instead of oil?

18. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    From the smoke you would have thought so :)
    Just checked the tank and it is bone dry, the Triumph service guys say it is likely it will be low in the radiator too, and probably caused by a faulty radiator cap. The ironic thing is I have a new cap at home I intended to fit at the weekend....but didn't grrrr

I have a mobile guy coming over this afternoon, to help top up the coolant (blue) as I need to hold the bike upright and don't have the tools or coolant to do it myself at work.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hope it gets sorted

20. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Best of luck, hope no other damage has been caused