Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Neither had I and she was a real peach.

• Like Like x 1
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    cleaned the shed out. Now I know where they got the idea for Dr Who's Tardis from. Good grief do I collect a lot of Junk

• Like Like x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Finally got round to replacing the air filter on the Trident, having put the job off for a week or so. As many on this forum will know, this entails replacing the whole airbox assembly which is in effect a sealed unit. I know you can split them and fit a K&N filter but I went for a complete replacement.
    It is a bugger - there's no way round that - tank off, hoses disconnected, throttle and choke cables disconnected at the bars, carbs off (slide out on LH side) and old airbox out. (and very little room to do it in).I fitted new rubbers to the carbs and the box as the old were a bit brittle and cleaned out the two "witches hat" fuel filters in the inlet hoses.
    Tips for puttting it all back.
    1. Fit the crankcase breather pipe to the front of the airbox BEFORE you put the carbs back! (or you will be taking them off again).
    2. Fit the carbs to the head first and tighten the clamps and then try (haha!) to fit the airbox onto the carbs. Warming the rubbers with a hairdryer finally did it for me and the use of a little washing up liquid.
    3. When refitting the two halves of the throttle control and trying to keep the cable in place - note that the forward most half has a stud on it and the bars have a corresponding hole in them so it only goes on in one position.
    4. Route your inlet and breather hoses properly when fitting the tank back on - make sure they are not trapped or twisted.
    5. Best to label these when taking them off (masking tape works) see pics. You have two inlet, two breather and one vacuum pipe.

Good luck to anyone else trying this! Have cold beer ready! IMG_20150716_174549267.jpg IMG_20150716_174554146.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Thanks for sharing I'm sure it will save some people a lot of hassle, maybe copy it into tech help with its own title

• Like Like x 1
  5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Not a job that you would want to do on a regular basis. This I know!!:(:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  6. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
  7. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    Ha ended up posting your photo ...but I know your pain as I did this a while back. Carbs to head easy peasy....Airbox to carbs Hmmmm......Air box pipes at the side of the battery...a pig! Just when you think its all lined up & sealed the bloody bolt holes didn't line up lol....so slacken the airbox off again! Arrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just to add...I id all his on my Daytona 1000...inc full service & balanced the carbs...ran beautifully! TODAY.....well today the the bugga wont start!!!!!!!! Back to the man cave for a long evening me thinks!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lancstony

Lancstony Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Rossendale, Lancshire
    Today I have mostly been riding my new Thunderbird and enjoying every grin inducing minute of it!

• Like Like x 2
  9. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Nightmare! Feel your pain mate. Mine started and ran beautifully - choke operation smooth, tick over perfect, got kitted up and ready to ride and then found the throttle stuck with the bike revving at 5000! Back to the drawing board as they say.

• Like Like x 1
  10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Lucky bugger !!!!!

11. Johnny

Johnny Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Ireland
    got oil & filter changed and a set of pilot road 4 fitted, then had to ride in the worst rain I've been in for years, not the best way to scrub in new tyres, but was still great to be out on the bike.

12. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    Nightmare! Feel your pain mate. Mine started and ran beautifully - choke operation smooth, tick over perfect, got kitted up and ready to ride and then found the throttle stuck with the bike revving at 5000! Back to the drawing board as they say.

Oh Jayzus Steve!!!!! Well today my little bugga fired up.....about to take it on the road & praying it behaves!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Had a great weekend all round.
    Saturday I went to the air tattoo at Fairford and got my yearly fix of fast jets.
    There was some British stuff there,including a flypast of 15 Hurricanes and Spitfires(and a Messerschmitt)
    Sunday I went for a ride round the Cotswolds with the wife,she'd lost her mojo lately but she certainly found it again yesterday.
    Happy days

11745346_10153006074102215_4080721072790292334_n.jpg

14. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Sounds like a lovely week-end there RR and a beautiful picture. An ex RAF pal of mine told me that back in the day, those V bombers were on the start line, engines running for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - just in cases!!!

15. motad_uk

motad_uk New Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Walsall
    thanks for the kind comments- we have decided not to chase the cheapie/graze your knuckles end of the market so glad you found the fitting easy

16. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    That Vulcan bomber was one of my favourite planes when I was a lad. Used to go to school on the Isle of wight near Bembridge Airfield and they had an airshow and one of these turned up. Me and a friend sneaked up to the top of a church tower to get a good view of the show and the Vulcan decided to do a steep climb right above us. I thought the tower was going to fall apart, we almost pooped ourselves!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi mate - did the little bugga behave itself? I hope so.
    I have to say, sfter sorting out the throttle cable routing problem, today was the first chance I've had to take the bike out. My God! what a difference - all is forgiven - do this job if you need to it is so worth it - like a new bike. The horrible rough spot at 2700 to 3000 revs has gone, which made the bike a pig to ride in town. It pulls all the way now instead of just from 3000 revs - almost pulled a wheelie in second it went so welll (too old for that nonsense though).
    Work has got in the way for the moment but a trip is planned for this evening.
    IMG_20150721_135728590.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Steven, pulling a wheelie - tut tut tut ;);):D:D:):)

The bike looks cracking btw!

• Like Like x 1
  19. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Over at Thruxton today for some bike racing prior to Superbikes next weekend. Not many triumphs but the Jack Lilley team was there. IMG_20150725_164122428_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Opened the shed looked at her , sighed , closed the shed door, then went off to wor... Wo.....wor......! Again ! Won't get out for another week too! I stand at work and ride my air bike, letting out phantom clutch and twisting phantom throttle. I think I've actually got her into a rear wheel slide on a phantom corner! Men in white coats and vans with square wheels are on the way!!!