Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Penelope

Penelope Member

Jan 30, 2017
    Ludlow
    Double 'd', no, not THAT sort.......Just sayin'!

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    :) Fitted the new mudguard and refitted the rack and petrol cap, then the new mirror lens, it took the longest reusing connectors and running wires down the stalk. I did think at one point that I would need to take off the cockpit to access the stalk, only it turns out the clocks have two clips to release and slip out.
    Then tested the suspension and its a big improvement, so a good day well spent. :p

Then wash.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    My Bonnie is well and truly shitted up now from the last 2 days use.
    I want to leave the crap on to see how good the Scottoiler FS 365 really is but I don't know if I can bear seeing the bike like that for too long.
    Giving it a good wash does mean having to totally reapply and it does take a good few hours all in.
    Might leave it for a month and see!

• Like Like x 2
  4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Neither had I and to be honest it's not cheap at ~£9 per litre when most of that litre is water which evaporates leaving an oil film.
    I have 2 litres on the go, one at work and one at home and both are nearly empty after approx 2/3 months
    Cheap in the grand scheme of things, but I never did this on any previous bikes when riding through the winter months.
    Is there more salt on the roads or are the finishes genuinely a lot worse quality ? Probably both!

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Ok heres the reason for my semi naked Doris
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    I decided to put the fork gaitors on that my sons bought me for christmas, havent paid me for them yet!!
    So Elevate front end with enough clearance to remove front wheel.
    remove forks, knock off the stone guards with something that wont mark the forks
    IMG_2414.jpg
    keep the focus soft so you dont see where I marked the forks while removing the stone guards
    .[​IMG]
    place the bottom ends of your gaiters in some warm water to soften them up, not in your cup of tea!!
    IMG_2415.jpg
    then slide them down your forks where you can fit them into the notch
    IMG_2416.jpg
    once you have done that to both forks re-assemble.
    This is where I had the most problems getting these little rubber feckers to stay in place while sliding the forks through the headlight brackets
    IMG_2417.jpg
    The secret is....don't try it till you have the forks up there then you can easily poke 'em in and seat them properly!!save yourself half an hour at least %% [​IMG]
    also discover some broken bits while you're at it
    IMG_2418.jpg
    how that happened god only knows!

once reassembled having done the bouncy bit to settle the line up of the forks before tightening up the lower fork bracket and wheel nuts

suspend the front end once again to get your forks fully extended and secure the top part of the gaiter just under the lower fork bracket

End result

IMG_2421.jpg

I took her out for a test ride, as you do, to an establishment that supplied bacon butties and found that having reassembled the forks she handled 110% better. I was losing a bit of confidence with my cornering lately not knowing what it was and thinking I'd lost my mojo but now realise that the forks must have been twisted or summat as I was now able to really lay her down in the corners without fighting to stop her going wide or any feeling that the front wheel was going from under me. BIG GRINS ALL ROUND [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  6. anthony gothard

anthony gothard Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    94r going to Youles Blackburn tomorrow. clutch cover replacement after tiny scrape.
    And the dreaded Datatool recall. ( for the second time in 12 months ) Not sure i should have bothered purchasing it in the first place.

7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Oh yes you are!!

8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Have you upgraded to progressive springs ?

9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    #4449 crispey, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    No have ricor intiminators in the front and hagon 2810's on the back, the only thing that's changed is removing and putting the forks back on.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    That sounds like a good combination.

11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Sorry should have read ricor!
    They were there when I bought it but I added the hagons which made a great difference

12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    What a difference good weather makes! Last time I was at loomies I was Billy no Mates.

20170218_155054.jpg
    20170218_155045.jpg
    Some bloke even brought a decent car!
    20170218_154925.jpg
    20170218_154841.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    There's the plan for your 20th then. lol
    I've been grandson sitting so no biking for me either today, but I must admit the pleasure I get spending full days with them is the greatest thing and as we know little uns grow up far too quickly.
    'Going on adventures with my Grandpa' is what they tell you everyone.

• Like Like x 3
  14. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    She looks better for it crispey - it's a mod that improves the looks and suits the style of bike. First job I did on both my Bonneville's. Second time just did one fork leg at a time and that seemed to help.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #4455 Rich Bryce, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    From the other day when I took the Bonnie over to Pure Triumph Woburn for a spin and a cuppa. Bloke in the car park had this little beaut he uses as his daily ride-about. He's also got a 1960 Dommie in the garage. This is a 1934 Ariel Red Hunter 350cc OHV Twin Port, and she sounded an absolute classic. He says he can't be doing with restoring his bikes to pristine showroom condition - they're meant to be ridden. And I like the little extra touch of a picnic table on the back, very thoughtful.
    WP_20170218_15_59_07_Pro.jpg WP_20170218_15_58_51_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  16. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Just cos someone's parked some bikes in the same car park as you doesn't mean they want to be your mates! Sorry steve

• Like Like x 1
  17. KONeill

KONeill New Member

IMG_3062.JPG A few hours in the garage with my favourite beer fitting a tail tidy. Cutting and and rewiring brake light and indicators to make it a lot tidier. Bike is coming together well!

• Like Like x 2
  18. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    This is sadly very true - but I can pretend!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agreed we have done the same today, been to lunch with the grand children. Not so bad as I did manage to get out three times in the last few days..... and with luck if the weather holds will get out this coming week as well.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #4460 Rich Bryce, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Did a bit of slow maneuvering practice on the Tiger this morning after dropping it yesterday through poor technique and carelessness then rode over to Pure Triumph Wellingborough with figwold on country lanes via Rushden for a free coffee and to annoy the nice staff there.