Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    After putting on the stock seat for the K and Q seat as in my previous "what you been doing today post" took off to football match (won`t talk about that :() yesterday. I now know why I had the K and Q seat. I thought I was sitting on a plank of wood lol. So today the K and Q has gone back on, my arse will be thanking me. :D

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Stupid question but have you done the tyre pressures :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. GuzziHero

GuzziHero Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Yep, I'm running 34-38, its a massive improvement over the 36-42 it had in when I got it. I usually run 32-35/36 on big bikes. I've also set the suspension up much stiffer than the stock settings it came with, I'm a big bloke so I'm still tweaking it as I go.

The tyres feel OK on short corners, but longer corners you get to a certain lean angle and it feels really knife-edgy. I've use a tread depth gauge on it, both tyres are a little squared, the front worse than the rear.

4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Looks like you have answered your own question then. I has the same prob with my Sprint recently, did the same as you, lowered the pressures slightly and it felt good some of the time, weird other times. My tread was well legal both ends but a little squared off. After a ride out in bad weather when if felt worse than ever I decided to change the tyres, it is like a different bike now. If you intend using the bike over the autumn/winter I suggest you do it now

• Like Like x 1
  5. GuzziHero

GuzziHero Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Stoke-on-Trent
    The first rides I had with the bike a few weeks ago were in the wet and it felt... perilous. I thought the tyres were a bit squared, but now its dry its not as obvious. I've tried to persevere as the front is much worse than the back, thinking that I might be able to get away with just one tyre to change. But now I've tyre gauged the rear, thats pretty bad as well. They're well above minimum, but I'm not confident on them.

I'm a big fan of Battlax, had S21s on the Benelli, and I run T30 on the Guzzi. I'll put S21s on the Triumph too.The Guzzi came with Metzeler Rennsport and they were diabolical, not sure how Roadtecs are, but Metzeler tyres have a reputation of requiring very particular pressures.

---
    By character, I mean... well the engine is almost too good. Its very Honda-like in its power delivery with no particular power band, it just lifts up its skirts and goes. I'm not saying the motor isn't capable, it'll make the front go light in 2nd and 3rd on full throttle. But after having a Benelli Tornado and a revvy Guzzi v-twin, I'm just not feeling it the same. And its so damn quiet! I wouldn't dare ride the Guzzi for 150 miles without ear plugs, all I hear on the Triumph is gear whistle! That said however, the bike is growing on me and it has everything I want in spades - usable power, comfort, and a really good sized fuel tank. I see it more as a gentlemans express rather than a raucous sportsbike, and thats what I want right now. Its also cheaper (and more trustworthy) than the other bikes I was considering - Buell, Laverda, Ducati and KTM.

I'm not the largest guy, but Im 16st 4lbs before gear, just over 18st fully kitted up. I had to look high and low to find a UK size 60 leather one-piece to fit me!

6. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Once you fully get your head around the linear power of Triumph Triple it all makes sense, took me a good bit of time after being used to Jap 4 cylinder sports bikes. If you after a little more punch fitting a rear sprocket with 2/3 more teeth helps :) I always fit new tyres if they look out of shape especially the front

• Like Like x 1
  7. GuzziHero

GuzziHero Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Stoke-on-Trent
    The Benelli was similar, but the motor had a lot more sound and character. That thing rasped at high revs.

Its also taking me a while to get used to the engine braking aka there is very little of it. I let off the throttle on the Guzzi and the thing nearly stops!

• Like Like x 1
  8. toad

toad Active Member

Ah, GuzziHero,

yep, I love that Triumph three cylinder engine for exactly those reasons. I had a Kawasaki Ninja before which also went like shit off a shovel but the 1050 of the Triumph ain't too bad between 6000 and 8500 either. Below that it is quick but not arse wipingly so.

As for the noise or lack thereof - it is something I value greatly not only riding in built up areas but also in the Alps. You just don't sound as though they should take your license ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. GuzziHero

GuzziHero Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Funny thing is, my Daytona sounds nearly the same as the 1992 Daytona 900 I had opportunity to ride last year, with very similar characteristics (except mine is much lighter of course).

Compared to the other bikes I was considering, I wanted a safe bet since I got burned with 2 Benellis, and thats what I got. I don't regret the purchase at all. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Tucked Doris and Tracey up with a good sparky of f365. Attached a solar charger to Tracey and am off to w #*k for the week
    In 29 degrees! Why can't they have a take your bike to w*#k week like they have with pets and kids!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Off to W#*K for the week lol, nearly spat me tea out. Good job i carried on reading the last line :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. GuzziHero

GuzziHero Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Wish it were 29 degrees here...

... unless you mean that old funny money Fahrenfart scale. Bloody hell, does your speedo read in furlongs, too? :p

• Like Like x 2
  13. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    crispey, go easy with the is the w@#k word. Us retirees need to take it easy.:p:D

• Like Like x 2
  14. toad

toad Active Member

Rub it in, will you?

15. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    Yep,,,,,:p:D

• Like Like x 1
  16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The benefit of having a job in Over Wallop is that you can stop for lunch in Middle Wallop at the Apache Cafe.

2016-11-29 14.20.30.jpg
    2016-11-29 14.10.14.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Is there a Bottom Wallop??:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  18. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I sincerely hope not! :eek::eek:

• Like Like x 2
  19. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    Done a fair bit of work for the Army at Middle Wallop in my helicopter days many moons ago,,lol. Are those Rentec bars on your Bonnie steve?

20. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    They were on the bike when I got it, so as far as I know they are standard bars (7/8") for this model.