Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    SB how do I get this freakin Back wheel out of the way???

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Place bike on lift...
    Get C spanner out from under seat...
    At rear of swing arm is a 17mm bolt.. Undo this bolt.
    Use C spanner to wind wheel in, u may need tourch to see where to fit C spanner or look in manual.
    I had to turn the wheel to help do the adjustment..
    Wind wheel all the way in , chain become very loose. Pull chain off to the side...
    Once chain off you can then wind the wheel all the way to the rear...
    You will need a very long reach torx screw driver with possibly flexible reach....
    Undo screws as required to remove hugger...

I'll post picture..

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
  4. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Nice one SB, When putting it all back, how much slack should be on the chain???

5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
  6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    There is the bolt... And if you look closely you can see the toothed Adjuster you have to try and get on....

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    #327 Screwball, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
    Pretty sure it'a normally about 20-25mm... As a rule of thumb..
    If your not sure, once done sit on bike and if you can move the chain up and down 20mm it will be fine... Then do everything up and make sure all is tight.....

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    And if you have something like this it may help...
    image.jpg

image.jpg

9. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    LMAO I wish..... When you say tighten everything up, that can only be the 17mm bolt right? Is there a torque setting for that one?

10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Yeah sure there is... Tight.... It should be in the manual, but I did not look...

• Like Like x 2
  11. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Right thats it all off, fag and a can then its all going back on..... Thanks SB:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Good luck....

13. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Who is the lucky fag tonight? :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Jim you get it sorted? Photos......

• Like Like x 1
  15. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Hmmm.... Not good, it was all off & ready 12 hours ago, maybe that "fag" wasnt as quick & Jim thought he would be? Just saying x :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  16. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Hmm can see what the good luck comment was for...
    Finally got it on, then looked and realised a little adjustment is needed to two of the holes, one being the awkward fekker!!
    All off again this morning, now to find me drill.......

17. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Bugger!

18. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Just been out for a wee jaunt this morning, Jeez was it cold! Stopped at the Ponderosa, there was hardly anyone there. However, there were 5 Triumphs + mine which accounted for just over a third of all the bikes. There was a 1200 Explorer, 2 800 Tigers and 2 Street Triples. I spoke to and handed cards to the three blokes I saw. Left cards on the seats of the 2 800s - let's see if they turn up here later. Just got back in and about 2 minutes later it has started to piss down - perfect timing! :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  19. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Ok Finally done the Bugger Hugger!!

It wasn't without trauma though..... So fitted it once, managed to get that pain in the ass bolt back in, all others back in, but it just didnt sit quite right, the lip that meets the swing arm was proud by about 2mm, so off it all come this morning as last night I'd had enough and got stuck into the beer and Ciggies (No FAG's PIG).
    Dug my battery drill out of the cutlery draw (Man Cave as you know is my kitchen), slotted the hole a little on the pain in the ass fixing point, carefully so as not split or break it, Nice!:upyeah:
    Right now fit it back on bike, starting with pain in the ass bolt, gently tighten.. CRACK!! The freakin lug on the hugger where the pain in the ass bolt fixes through in now in three freakin bits!!!:mad: FEK!!!
    Off it comes again, super glue to the rescue and a nylon washer glued into place to reinforce, ciggy break whilst it dries.....
    Ok, back to it, return the Bugger Hugger to the bike for the third time, gently gently tighten the pain in the ass bolt...... done, right now to put the last three bolts back..... Eh, wheres the third gone??? Still in the hole under the hugger where I had put it back when i took the hugger of !!!! FEK Fek FEK!!!:mad::mad:
    Off it comes again, all bolts removed and accounted for, back goes on the Bugger Hugger.... Gently gently the Not so pain in the ass bolt goes on tight (Easy now I have done it so many times), all the other 3 bolts in and tightened and the Bugger Hugger is Hugging nicley!! :upyeah:

Ok so time to clean the sprocket and chain whilst they are separated....

Wind the wheel all the way in with that feking C cshaped spanner shite.... God only the Japs could of come up with that idea... Every freaking knuckle now skinned... chain on, wind the wheel out checking play, 20-25mm looking good, tighten the 17mm bolt back to a torque setting of as I was informed TIGHT!

Job done, ciggy then think, erm need to check play in chain whilst sat on the bike.... so I sit on it backwards (Like one of those trixters that stunt their bikes), take it off side stand, weight on bike tapemeasure in hand, leaning down.... Oh fek.... nearly dropped the bike... lesson learned, leave side stand down just in case.... hmm only about 15mm slack with me on it, probably not full weight either...

Should I slacken it off a bit??

Also having tightened the 17mm bolt there is still a gap between the upper and lower section of the swing arm at the bolt position, Is this normal SB?

Having done all that it looks the danglies.... However, that is if you stick your head right in between the twin arrows... thanks to them you can hardly see it.... Right I am definitely gonna advertise these arrow cans this week (Or the week after..)....

Thanks SB for your help and CC for the Satin fix :upyeah:

Pictures to follow...

• Like Like x 2
  20. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg