Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    That's one of the reasons I kept it on the same side, guessed it would be a shorter run!

2. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Dunno why I chose the right now I come to think of it.....especially as I'm left handed! Doah :confused:

3. Eyore

Eyore Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Ireland
    Just in from the workshop, new back tyre fitted to the Thunderbird Sport.

• Like Like x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I relocated the ignition to the RH side on the Bonnie and didn't need to extend the wires (bit of a fiddle if I remember rightly but they weren't overstretched). Despite being right handed I didn't get on with it at all in the new position and moved it back to where it was originally.

5. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Meeting up with fellow Tiger rider crispey at Loomies.

2016-02-18 12.30.42.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    And what a pleasant meet up it was too! Nice talking to you steve

7. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    And to you mate - lets arrange another meet up soon, possibly closer to your neck of the woods.

8. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    At last we are getting there......got these from pw864, nice job done but they weren't keen to go on without a fight, especially the airbox side. Really tight in there, so tight in fact, I wouldn't wanna overtake me Incase one of the retaining bolts fly's off & pierces your engine block:p:p:eek:

IMAG0431.jpg

10. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Don't think I want to meet up with you thruccy I think you're going to put my Thrux to shame! I'll still love her tho!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    #2451 Thruccyboy, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Once the ecm is back on the old girl with the stage 1 tune in her, she'll go like red bird 2 on lake coniston...I know it should read blue bird, but I don't want another lesson on blue bikes being the best colour :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Felt the back of the Bonnie slipping a bit on a few bends where it ought not to. I did change the tyres only 3 months ago! Finally got around to putting her on the centre stand and checking it out. Blimey!: the back wheel was severely seized. I got the calliper out, and couldn't believe my eyes - the brand new pads I put there only a few months ago are almost half-gone. Tried changing the brake fluid, but that didn't solve the problem. Pulled out the calliper again: I've a "funny" piston - one moves almost freely, using my hands only (with a fair amount of force), whereas the other doesn't bulge. Gave it a really good scrubbing again, polished the retaining pins like there's no tomorrow, used a really good quantity of brake cleaner all around, especially around the piston casings. Still nothing - one flows beautifully, the other is just stuck. Took me hours to get it back inside again just so I could put the calliper back on the bike.

Any ideas? I've ordered a good c-clamp to try and force it in and out a few times to see if it frees it, otherwise I see no choice but to tear the whole calliper apart (or chicken out and take her to the doctor, aka Bikeworld). I've heard of people talking of using "red grease" on the pistons, but grease of any kind around my brake pads sounds like a bad idea.

IMG_0846.JPG

13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Meant to be going for a ride today but running late due to lying in bed drinking coffee and trying to read through all the new posts on this damn forum!!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Mischa, this is how I deal with brake pistons that are stuck:

1. Remove calliper from vehicle, with the pads still in place;

2. Now gently press brake pedal until the brake pads are almost touching;

3. Remove brake pads and thoroughly clean brake pistons;

4. Once they are completely cleaned, replace the brake pads and using a G-cramp or similar, press the pistons fully back into the calliper;

5. Reinstall the calliper onto the vehicle;

6. Brake the brake calliper several times until the pads are fully set;

7. Check brake fluid level and adjust as necessary.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Very good thebiglad. Nicely worded.
    If you find that the pistons are badly corroded then very fine wet & dry 1500+ grade torn into 5mm wide strips & rubbed round the piston may remove the corrosion a bit. If they are badly corroded then it may be game over.

16. Yaya rider

Yaya rider Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Essex
    Took the bike I to the city today, needed to make sure I knew how to get to work on Chancery Lane by bike, easy enough journey now I've done it.

Decided to take a little tour while u was in the city. Ended up checking our The Bike Shed in Shoreditch. Pretty cool place, with some lovely bikes inside!

http://thebikeshed.cc/cafebarshopclub/

The only pictures I could get were outside my office, parked up at the front of St Paul (I asked a copper politely) and in the bike shed.

Got lost lost in tottenham/Walthamstow on the as home, but all in all a very nice Sunday!! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    I really liked the bike shed & I'm not a party pooper......but £23 for 2 coffees & 2 brioche bacon rolls is a bit steep in anyone's book.
    Great atmosphere tho I admit .... Just not £23 worth that's all...sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Don't you have to have a beard, open face helmet and a cardigan to get into the bike shed? ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    No.....maybe a deep wallet tho!

20. Yaya rider

Yaya rider Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Essex
    I've heard it's pricey, but your paying for the Hipster area and to be part of the current fad/club.....I didn't buy anything today, just went for a mooch round the shop. Did seem like a good atmosphere, but I didn't check out the cafe prices. Some lovely looking bikes in the parking area.