What First Got You Into Motorcycling?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by johne, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    At 16 riding a Honda C100 (the original ohv 49cc step through) sure beat the hell out of riding a push bike. That was 1964 and I've only been without at least one bike for a few years when I first got married.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Absolutely spot on @Havit Are you my brother?
    We never had a car until I was about 10, we went everywhere on the combo.
    Then as I grew up a bit I was mates with a lot of older lads who rode mopeds, FS1E's, SS50's etc then bigger bikes. It was meant to be for me I reckon.

• Like Like x 8
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I think mine must be in my blood both my dad and his brother used to test and race bikes at Brooklands and then at the tender age of 9 my uncle took me out on the back of his Thunderbird which frightened the shit out of me but obviously left an impression.
    Then just before i left school i saw what must have been the first choppers in the UK ride past and that was it ...had a few breaks through the years but have always returned to bikes even if by fate.

• Like Like x 9
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    It’s always the ones you’d never suspect. :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I've liked motorcycles for as long as I can remember. I used to have a few die cast model motorbikes as a young kid, but my parents were adamant that I couldn't have a real one. So I had to wait until I'd left home and was earning money before I could even learn to ride.

Kawasaki_GPZ900R.jpg

It was the GPZ900R that was my final motivation for taking my test, but then I pussied out on having a large bike as my first proper bike, so I brought a brand new GPZ500S and picked it up the day after passing my test.

I still think the 900R is a gorgeous bike and I would love to get one some day. There was speculation in the press that Kawazaki would produce a new GPZ900R for this year, after they released this video:

• Like Like x 14
  6. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    From my elder brother. He had an old bike. She was the village bike and everybody used to ride her. BUT you say, what's the connection with the thread topic? Well, with no dentures, when she screwed up her face it looked like a leather saddle bag I had seen on a Brough Superior once. Couldn't afford one of those so got an ex post office Bantam (without a saddle) for cruising about in the fields. Haven't looked forward since.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #27 MadMrB, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    In about 1988 I think, one of the bike magazines had reviews of both the GPZ900R and the FZR600, with the GPZ in black on the front cover (or the main picture may have been the FZR600 with a small inset picture of the GPZ :confused:). If any one has any idea which magazine it was, I'd be grateful if you let me know, as I would like to find a copy.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Hey Bruv , yeah me too. Everywhere in the side car as a kid, then my dad got a Honda C90 and he used to give me the key to it to pop down the shop to get his tobacco, I was only 14 o_O.
    My biker lifestyle was set. Then a friend of mine brought a Suzuki GP125 and let me have a go on it.
    I couldn't afford the insurance on the 125 so brought a GP100 and that was the real start of my biker days
    20181222_215709.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  9. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Them days are a bit of a blur tbh :D
    All I can remember was losing my keys :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    I suppose my Dad is to blame for my motorcycle obsession. When I was young he never had a car, only bikes. He’s turning 83 next month and that’s still the case.

• Like Like x 10
  11. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #31 Wire-Wheels, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    In the mid1960's in Southern California you could rent bikes by the hour. A friend rented a little 50cc one day and shared it. I loved it from the start. I rode a lot of borrowed bikes for a number of years. I bought the first bike I owned myself in 1974 or 75. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    My interest in bikes is founded on web browsing. I found this here Forum by chance and thought what a cool bunch of guys and girls. I wanna be like them and ride Triumphs, whatever they are. The rest is history...;);)

• Like Like x 9
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    When I was about seven dad bought an old Royal Enfield 2 stroke from a guy in the village,we didn’t have a car.
    I used to sit on the bike when it was parked in the shed,the smell,the noise,in fact the whole shape of the bike and I can still see it now in my minds eye,I loved it.
    As we lived a good mile from the village school and if ever I came home at dinner time when dad was at home I would mess about and dad would end up taking me back to school with me sitting on the rear carrier as the bike only had a single seat.
    That was it I was hooked at that young age and have been ever since.

• Like Like x 11
  14. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Beautiful bikes, I had three of them over the years.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    It was my mates that got me into it, I had never been into bikes as no one in my family had ever had one and a couple of local lads had died on them, so I was almost anti bikes. Then my mates bought a couple of 50cc trail bikes to thrash round the local hills and as soon as i had a go myself that was it, no looking back. It was the smell of the two stroke oil, the sunny days, the dusty forestry tracks and the smell of gorse, I always smile when I think back to those days and the way it started my love affair with bikes.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Watching Street Hawk as a little boy in the 80's! :)

Being a kid of the 80's, I knew I wanted a bike right then! Then as I got older and whilst at Uni, watching Isle of Man TT and MotoGP, the likes of John McGuinness, Carl Fogarty, Max Biaggi and Valentino Rossi were an inspiration, even till now.

• Like Like x 9
  17. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Like you , I have no interest in cars . It's just a box to get you from a to b when theres more than two of you or to pick something up that wont fit on the bike.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Ahhh so that's why you changed from rubber to cow hide :rolleyes::D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    Getting those Spotter books in the late 70's, early 80's for sitting in the back of the car for long journeys. Dreaming of Dunstall Suzukis, GSX1100's , ER185's, XT500's, Pantahs, LeMans and more weird, rare and wonderful bikes. Still have them somewhere.

Just always been obssessed with bikes, cant put an age on it. Never encouraged, despite the old boy being an ex-biker.

Riding a mates MT50 100 yards then into a fence sealed the deal. :heart::cool:

• Like Like x 8
  20. AndyWill68

AndyWill68 Member

Jun 28, 2020
    Warwickshire, England
    All my mates bigger brothers and some sisters in the village I grew up in had bikes. So we all followed suit. I had an AP50 but there was at least one example of all the different mopeds available.
    And after a few little breaks due to kids etc, I'm back in the saddle on bike number 30

• Like Like x 9