Triumph's 'long Haul Screen'

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Strimmer, Oct 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Hi, I think the forum is great place to ask questions and hopefully get helpful answers from members who have experience of the relevant product...as in this case the long haul screen. Even better when some alternatives can be offered such as the flyscreen to help answer the 'technical' questions around wind blast and comfort. Opinions on style are something different and can either be taken with a pinch of salt or actually be quite useful as a bike is essentially a mIx of form and function.

2. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    My experiences perfectly put, its the numbness in your arse and the cramp that sets in around the hour mark that kills me. Feeling 'the breeze' is part of bike riding IMO

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I cured the numbness in the arse problem.

For longer rides I bought an Airhawk seat pad. Expensive for what's a simple idea and it looks hideous but it actually works, you can always remove it when you arrive and shove it in a pocket if you don't like the 'look'. They say that money can't buy happiness but when it comes to the old granite bike seat £130 buy a lot of happiness.

I can now ride all day in complete comfort.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I have a new Street Twin and purchased a touring screen and bags. The Bonneville touring screen works great and makes the ride effortless. No torso or head wind pressure at all !!

IMG_0713.JPG

5. Torba1

Torba1 New Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Darlington uk
    Hi
    I have just rejoined T120 ranks again,
    Am awaiting delivery and am interested in probably fitting Dart Marlin Fly screen, is this the model thought to reasonable for a 5' 8" light weight?
    Thanks for any advice.

6. Torba1

Torba1 New Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Darlington uk
    Big CLM
    What height are you?

7. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I'm 5'-9". The touring screen is well designed for air flow. It deflects the wind over my head as well as past the handle grips. No wind pressure on my torso at freeway speeds.
    upload_2018-3-20_7-43-18.png

8. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Also the 'touring screen' is specific to the 900 Street Twin. I do not know if it can be fitted to a T120, nor if it will work as well on that bike. But it works well on the Twin.

9. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Also the 'touring screen' is specific to the 900 Street Twin. I do not know if it can be fitted to a T120, nor if it will work as well on that bike. But it works well on the Twin.

10. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    #30 Kinjane, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    For some reason the Triumph accessory lists occasionally refer to the summer screen as the long haul screen - which it isn't. The A9708307 long haul screen is half a meter tall, is held in place with a couple of cattle prods, some old gate hinges and also resembles a dustbin lid :laughing:
    Seriously though it doesn't look out of place your Street Twin and it's good that it works for you. There must be some difference between yours and how the T120 version sits in relation to the rider as I found the T120 version to be very noisy and it certainly failed to provide still air behind it for the rider although other owners might have had different results.

with regards to interchangeability I do know that both the 188mm tall A9708303 fly screen and the 249mm tall A9708408 touring screen both cost £72, have the same fixing holes and they are both interchangeable with each other and across the following WC range...
    • Street Twin
    • Street Scrambler
    • Bonneville T120
    • Bonneville T120 Black
    • Thruxton 1200
    • Thruxton 1200 R
    Triumph don't consider the T100 as a suitable bike for touring bike as they don't offer a touring screen for it o_O

The Touring Screen is a little wider than the Fly and in old money its just two & a quarter inches taller. Having just seen one fitted on a T120 I'm ordering mine this week. :cool:

It doesn't IMHO look any more out of place than the slightly smaller fly screen does.
    The one thing the touring screen doesn't have is a colour matched option, the fly screens are available in the following colours - aluminium silver, competition green, cranberry red, diablo red, korosi red, matt black, matt graphite, matt khaki, phantom black, pure white, silver and jet black along with clear, light tint and dark tint. However the coloured option is around twice the price of the clear or tinted screens.

• Useful Useful x 1