Tiger is a big bike

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Wolley, Nov 21, 2013.

1. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #21 P19DJG, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    My theory after my experience with the Blackbird i purchased is, if the tyre pressures, which costs nothing havent been maintained then what chance has the rest of the bike got.
    Go through your manual & set the suspension back to the factory settings. If they are not listed in the Haynes manual then google is your friend.
    Give the bike a mini service with fresh fluids & familiarise yourself with the bike. By doing this, not only will it give you peace of mind that the bike is in good order, it will also give you a greater understanding of how things work & greater your knowledge & ability with spanners plus a sense of personal achievement.

Also you could look at doing a bike safe course, probably the best motorcycle related £60 you could ever spend. Seriously, whether you have recently passed your test or have been riding for years, there is always something to learn which will make your motorcycling safer & more enjoyable.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wolley

Wolley Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Sussex
    Yeah you're right there, first thing I did was get a Haynes manual and I am currently looking for tools to familiarize myself with the general condition of the machine beneath its panelling. Its been stored in a lockup, has 59800 on the clock, its a Vee Plate making it 1999. To be fair the previous owner did mention to me that the tyres might need some air as it had been a while since they had been checked. I had to charge the battery when I got back making me think at first that it might need replacing or worse still the alternator had gone, but a couple weeks on and it appears to be keeping its charge. It has wire wheels which means you have to get a special right-angled valve to attach to the innertube so you can use the service station air machines. Which I duly did and now prize like a set of dentures. The bike safety course is something I have been considering since passing my test. I have always wanted bikes like fairingless Goldwings or 700 Motoguzzi California's Pan Euro's and the like that I knew would require a mature understanding to handle properly.

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Woolley where do you live? there may be a more experienced forum member on here that could ride your bike up the road and cost nothing..even help give you advice on servicing....
    With that mileage I bet the tyres are squared off... Christams is coming ask Santa for some hoops... The previous owner used it for touring or work or both so it would have spent a lot of time upright.
    Also at 15 years old it may even have the original battery.. Stick a optimate or similar on your Christmas list as well...

4. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Your default setting, I believe - hence buying a cruiser? Just askin'... x

• Like Like x 1
  5. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #25 P19DJG, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    Err, no, actually i was referring to our friends, mr.h & spanky, who it would appear to have adopted this method of cornering. View attachment 2466

• Like Like x 2
  6. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire

err - BOLLOCKS pig! just sayin' x! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    well, we will see now wont we as you have brand new tyres :wink:

8. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #28 folkbloke, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    The Tiger is indeed a big bike, and repeating what has been said, if the last thing you rode was 50cc bike then it will seem huge :eek:

I had the same sort of issue on slow, tight turns when I first got a GS and I'd been riding for nearly 20 years at that point. I think the 19" wheel takes a bit of getting used to but it's certainly worth making sure tyre pressures, head bearings, wheel bearings and of course the tyre itself are all up to scratch.

Oops, just noticed the 2nd page of comments! It does sound as if something isn't right. My first thought is head bearings as that can make the bike difficult to steer. Also there is a possibility the frame or the forks are bent if it's trying to pull to one side or that the wheels are out of alignment. Have you had it checked out yet? I've also seen your comment about the "Continental" on the tyre and why you think it's OK. Are you saying the logo is on the tread? Have you measured the tread depth.

Best of luck with it.

Dick

9. Wolley

Wolley Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Sussex
    Hiya Folkbloke, thanks for the comments. All of what you've said would make sense going on whats been written in these threads, I do think to a greater extent the issue is a nervous rider. I've had it only a couple of weeks and the points raised about steering whilst on the motor way, I think were down to tyre pressure, weather conditions and driver nerves. Its a funny thing, each time I get on it it does appear that slightest bit more welcoming. But having said that, I left it stood for two days with a cover over it on the road and today there was a small patch of what smells like clean motor oil beneath it! ( hears the sound of tools being rummaged in a bag )

• Like Like x 1
  10. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    You've probably thought about this already but just check to make sure that the oil filter and the drain plug are seated correctly and tight enough. (Since it's clean oil it's probably just been changed?). Simple, relatively common mistakes that can have disastrous results!

11. Wolley

Wolley Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Sussex
    #31 Wolley, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    I have just this second come indoors with my Allen Key's having located the drain plug. I didn't know what that was this morning but that was where the drip seemed to be accumulating.
    There is plenty of crud on all the engine surfaces that makes it look as if it hasn't been touched in while and around the lower crankcase seam one half glistens considerably more than the other, although where its been stood all day there is no sign of the oil that appeared of the last couple of days.

12. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    Hi Wolley....I`ve got a Tiger too, had it for a good few years now and aint got any complaints, except for the low tyre tyre pressures when I first bought it...like yours it handled rather poorly. I take it its got a recent MOT and if so should`nt have any major problems with wheel bearings or head bearings, although the standard rear shock tends to fail with high milage...easily checked tho.
    While it does at first seem to be a big heavy beast they are in fact pussy cats that like a good thrashing...enjoy....

Oh, for more info and help try TigerTriple loads of good stuff there and friendly too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wolley

Wolley Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Sussex
    #33 Wolley, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    MOT is due around the beginning of January Tax at the end of December, I had entertained the idea leaving it a couple of months before putting it in for the MOT so that I can take it apart. Something I want to do, for piece of mind but haven't ever done so before, so rightly a bit reserved about what that will entail.
    My plan B is to acquire a torque wrench and simply change the spark plugs, oil filter, air filter etc and see how it fairs and how comfortable I feel about dismantling it.(I don't have a garage, or a great deal of income ) plus you have to take the bloody fuel tank off just to get to the sparks and anytime anything is taken apart there are various washers or grommets that inevitably have to be replaced before reassembling takes place. Any idea where the best place to get them is?
    Is your Tiger a 1999 as well? Fuel injection?
    What you were saying about the rear shock may need replacing, I have tinkered with the screw at the base of the rear shock and that has a limit as to how many times you can turn it clockwise to stiffen it up and it clicks as you allow more give, six anti clockwise being the factory setting. But the Preload setting under the seat, by contrast, gives no indication when a limit has been reached, in either direction!
    The Haynes manual says to "align the lower edge of the adjuster cover with the setting required"
    I bring this up because I'm presuming that this is one of the first things new owners will come into contact with whilst trying to make the bike more palatable is the preload adjuster, depending on your size, what luggage in intend to transport or if you'll be carrying a pillion. Have you got around to adjusting yours and if so did it have limits in one or both directions so you knew when you were in setting 1 or 5. The cylinder with the hex on top of it that you turn to adjust the settings presses down as well, a bit like a tamper-proof pharmaceuticals container, again, can you say if that has to be depressed to adjust the preload on the rear?
    My bikes done nearly 60000 miles of which I've probably done only 150 of.

14. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    Yeah my Tiger is efi piccie of her in the Tiger section... Shame you dont have a garage cos things do tend to go adrift...but then they do anyway.
    Most bits and bobs can be sourced from yer local dealer or try worldoftriumph and also square deals (triumph online).
    If taking the tank off, dont leave it off for too long as it will go out of shape and probably be a pig to refit, and as for the shock settings there should be some markings on the side of it...and to adjust I just usually put a spanner on the adjuster on turn...just be aware that doing so actually adjusts the chain length too..
    Never bothered with the bottom rebound screw except to see if it worked...anyways like I said earlier...get your ass to over to Tigertriple.com its Tigertastic....ooherrr :wink:

15. big john from leigh

big john from leigh New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Leigh
    Hi Wolley
    as a new owner myself for me the bike feels well balanced and the easiest bike I've ever ridden for going round corners the bike does the work for you once your moving the weight of the bike disappears and it like it becomes one with yourself the more you ride it the easier it becomes you feel what's happening through you butt and the bike responds if you push it it will bite back it is a tiger just take it easy and enjoy all i can say is welcome to the club and enjoy your bike and get out there and ride it WATCH OUT FOR TIN TOPS

16. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Wolley for the jobs you want to do don't bother buying a torque wrench... Just get a decent socket set from halfords....
    You don't need a torque wrench for any basic jobs only when you start stripping the engine...

17. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    (Or the threads?) :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  18. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Really? What about spindle nuts? disc bolts? caliper bolts? sprocket nuts? head bearings? triple tree bolts? (the list is endless, all important & ideally should be tightened to the specified torque).

But having said that, it dont hurt me one fucking bit when your wheels fall off :wink:

19. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Dunc read the post and jobs he wants to do.. He does not mention stripping ANY of those parts.. He has from what I can tell is limited experience so will not be replacing the head bearing,wheel bearings or anything else that requires a torque wrench any time soon.
    He wants to change the oil filter and spark plugs.....to strip the basics you don't need a torque wrench...

I've build bikes, cars and engines so do have a TW but I don't use it to change the spark plugs, oil filter or air filter.... To be fair I don't even use it on the brakes and have had no issues so far.... May be its your spindly arms but me being a big lad can do bolts up tight....

• Like Like x 1