They`re At It Again...noooooo!!!!!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Thruccyboy, Mar 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    It all depends what you pay in the end.
    My insurance is due on my Bandit. I can specify that it's kept overnight in my locked garage and pay £90 or I can say I keep it on my drive and pay £118. MCE are coming in nowhere close to £118.

2. Pete Farrell

Pete Farrell Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    MCE! Just think how much it costs to sponsor BSB for the year!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ian650

ian650 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Telford
    I don't think some of these companies realise the power of this sort of forum, where a lot of like minded folk get their heads together and decide to do something. Come on lads and lassies....player power rules! ok?
    Ian

• Like Like x 1
  4. v8dve

v8dve Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Southampton
    It was not a recommendation for MCE for price, but the fact that the small print doesnt say excluded with 500m....

As Ian above said power play rules.

5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Today I started the process to insure my new speedmaster (it should be ready for pick up on Monday 16th April). My insurance renewal is on the 1st June, just six weeks away, so I rang my existing insurer (Bike Sure) for quote to transfer my street twin insurance onto the speedmaster. For the six weeks they came back with a quote of £141; yes £141 and that was reduced from £191 as they removed the admin fee...... So I told them that I would look for another insurer. Rang Carol Nash, the speedmaster with no "no claims" was £542 for the year. I asked them for a quote for both the speedmaster and the t'bird LT using my "no claims", it came back at £532, yep cheaper to insure two bikes than one.
    Not to be deterred I then sorted a few bike insurers. The first on my list was Bennetts, so I gave them a call. They quoted me £263 to insure both my bikes and suggested that I get a cancellation quote from Bike Sure. I did just that and Bike Sure confirmed that as it was so close to my renewal there was no cancellation charge. Pity they could not have recognised this when I asked for quote for just six weeks.

Went back to Bennetts insured my bikes, cancelling with Bike Sure; good result..........

Just goes to show that a little leg work, you can get a good outcome.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. v8dve

v8dve Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Southampton
    Ok, so after getting some quotes for renewal and looking at the small print.

It looks like some, not all, enforce the 500m exclusion, only if you told them its garaged. Soooo, if you leave it on the drive (anytime) with a disc lock etc and it gets nicked, it may not be covered.

I just tell them its on the drive regardless.

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hmmm! Yeah but I’ve nit been able to get my bike covered when i tried that! Funnily enough it was through IAM who said they could get me lower insurance than anywhere I’d been quoted

8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I insured my Bandit with Bennetts a few days ago. It was either £90 kept in a locked garage or £122 kept on the drive. All my bikes are kept in a locked garage overnight but just so I can rest easy and leave the Bandit on the drive I went for the £122 cover. It means I can go for a dump half way through cleaning it if I want to. :D

• Like Like x 5
  9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Bennett's definitely have the 500 metres policy. I will check whether Hastings do as I'm now insured with them.
    Remember to check the compulsory excess when opting for helmet and leathers cover - some put this up by at least £500 to cover this.:mad::mad:

10. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    #50 GaleForceEight, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    I had a chat with my insurer (Hastings)

Their 500m exclusion is normally for keeping the bike outside overnight if you have specified that it is kept OVERNIGHT in a garage since it is reasonable to take the bike out of the garage in order to use it!

That said, given that being insurance is a legal requirement, my view is that given the driver can only drive a single vehicle at a time it is the PERSON who should be insured rather than the vehicle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Back in the day there used to be what they called a rider policy which meant you were covered on any bike you were licenced to ride.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Clean it in the garage ;)

13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:confused: Do you mean his bike or his arsehole:worried:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yeah but it was £4500 last year!!

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    There must be shome mishtake. How much? When you said TRIKE, they do realise it has an engine & not pedals

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Same here my Triton insurance is due and it's £30 LESS than last year I nearly fell over:D

• Like Like x 3
  17. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    I was shocked at mine, speed triple s, 2 yrs no claims, accident claimed a couple of yrs back...... £450 was last years.

£276...£75 of it was brooker fee!
    Chuffed to bits

• Like Like x 2
  18. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    over 10 yrs no claims fully comp 2011 speedy £110 no complaints.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Thruxton R year old £99! Brilliant. Last year over £200. Pattern emerging here. Me thinks perhaps regulators have had a word about extortion!?!?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Well after a bit of Google time for my Street 765RS I have £100.03 Hastings fully comp (£250 excess) via MCN comparison site, go compare and a few others were £2 to £10 more for exactly the same cover, just waiting to see what the renewal from Bennett's comes out at, but would be surprised if less.

• Like Like x 3