Featured The Beauty Is Here!

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by learningtofly, Jun 4, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good luck and hopefully you will be fine as soon as you get back on your new bike.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Update: Just spoke to the sales manager at NLT (yes, he actually called me at 8.20 ;)), and I should have the bike by next Friday/Saturday. Very, very happy with that outcome, to be honest.

• Like Like x 6
  3. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Its great to read of some good progress, especially given all that you've been through. Sounds like the insurers are behaving like we'd all want them to.

That loss of confidence is frustrating, but you can use it to your advantage. You really have nothing to prove in how you make progress and with roads and driving standards like they are in the UK these days, discretion is very much the better part of valour: What's the point of being in a hospital bed knowing that you were in the right.

I'm nowhere near as confident now that I'm over 6 decades as I was when I was just over two decades, but that just gives me more time to enjoy the view from the saddle.

I'm also a great believer that we never stop learning, if we're humble enough. I found the Police Bike Safe Course really helpful and confidence inspiring; it exists for riders of all experience levels and certainly up here in Cheshire the tutors were really friendly and genuinely wanted to help us get the most out of riding our bikes.

Just take it easy and enjoy getting to know your new two wheeled friend, the more you look after her the more she'll look after you.

So here's wishing you a great New Bike Day next Friday / Saturday:cool:.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thank you for both the wishes and the wise words, Paul.

As an aside, I took the Bike Safe course back when I was riding my Thruxton (which all of the instructors raved over despite its slightly antisocial exhaust). I took a lot of learning from it despite being flattered by the feedback, and I’m now thinking of either IAM or ROSPA as the logical next step.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    IAM and/or RoSPA should give you a LOT to think about as far as your riding is concerned and, if taken seriously (realistically, you won't get far if you DON'T take it seriously!) will definitely make you a lot safer and a lot more confident in your riding. The only thing I would advise, though, is that RoSPA expect tri-ennial re-assessment. IAM, once you've got the pass, don't insist on any further follow ups - though you CAN go on to higher levels, should you so wish.

I can wholeheartedly recommend going for an 'advanced' qualification but be prepared, mentally at least, to rethink everything you think you know, and everything which you DON'T think you do!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    That\s very helpful info, Adie, thank you (and likely to point me towards IAM for the obvious reasons). I think I understand the nature of the challenge, which validates your comments completely.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I should have said that I'm not recommending one organisation, or qualification, over the other - in my experience more than a few of the observers/assessors are in both groups so it might come down to something as simple as convenience or closeness, and they both use similar, systematic approaches to riding.

You can usually get "taster" sessions with either or both organisations.

Good luck with your journey - I'll follow (rhetorically!) with interest!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Noted, and thank you.

9. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That is great news, @learningtofly! I'm so glad that there has been some positivity in your life lately in the form of a smooth experience with insurance and deal as well as a NEW BIKE in your immediate future! Can't wait to see some photos (including one of your smiling face perhaps??) :) and more good reports on both the motorcycle and the health fronts.:heart::kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks @Sandi T - photos will definitely follow and I may even consider showing my mug in one of them :blush:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    The eagle has landed...

[​IMG]

Just need to fit my aftermarket bits back on, now.

I did feel a bit weird when I jumped on it to ride home. Must have lasted all of 5 minutes, although I have to admit I was being very careful all the way.

• Like Like x 5
  12. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Oh Yes:)!

You just made my morning, lovely bike and good choice of accessories:cool:.

Happy new bike day, nowt wrong with being careful. Our bikes are about enjoying the ride not the accident.

So enjoy the ride:).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #73 learningtofly, Jul 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    Thanks very much, Paul. I've actually just fitted all the Motone parts, so just the pannier rails now. For that I need a socket set and (having gifted my perfectly good old one to my son's mates, who were desperate for tools) that'll have to wait until I've changed the new set at Halfords in the morning.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Woodtickgreg

Woodtickgreg Senior Member

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    Very good, congratulations again!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks Greg!

16. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Phew, when I saw a new post I thought the lucky stick had failed again. Nice looking bike. Stay safe mate.

• Like Like x 1
  17. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Lol. Thanks mate :)

18. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I’ll do my best :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Congrats, @learningtofly! I’m so happy for you. :) Enjoy this bike..I suspect in some ways you may appreciate it even more than the 1st version. :heart:

I’ll be a bit scarce on the forum the next couple of weeks. We’re onthe road to Sturgis as of this morning. But I’ll try to peek in when I can to see how things with your new bike are coming along!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  20. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thank you so much, @Sandi T. Hope you all have a wonderful time at Sturgis, and (of course) a safe journey!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1