Featured The Beauty Is Here!

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by learningtofly, Jun 4, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks Paul.

Since my last update things have moved on a little. My back is certainly improving day by day, albeit that the Diazepam will be masking the symptoms a little. In any event, the spasms have become infrequent now, leaving just an overriding dull pain primarily in my back but alo affecting my chest and one shoulder. Given my age and the impact my body suffered this sounds like the least I should expect, and I imagine I now just need to give my body a bit of time to heal.

North London Triumph have now given me a repair estimate for the bike, amount to about £12.5k plus VAT. Given that the list price for the T120 is about £11,750 it's clearly going to be written off, but in any event I've passed the details to Aviva and await their confirmation of next steps.

Last time I checked, lead to time for a T120 Black was the best part of two months. In addition to the normal fulfillment process all my extras/options need to come off my old bike, to be fitted onto the replacement (some of which i can do to save labour charges), albeit that a couple of things - mirrors and dresser bars for starters - will need to be replaced with new. And, of course, none of this can commence until Aviva give me the green light.

I reckon if I'm on the road again by mid-September I'll have done well, all things considered.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 2
  2. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    So so sorry to hear about your accident,
    this thread is such a roller coaster of emotions !
    Wish you get well soon and the bike gets replaced without issues

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I was really happy to read that your back is improving, @learningtofly. I think you're right about age and impact, and that things could have been far worse. I'm so glad that wasn't the case.

What a bummer on your beloved bike, though. I find it amazing that the repairs are quoted as higher than the actual price for a T120 new! :( In this day and age, 2 months doesn't sound horrible for lead time and it will give you time to get off your extras and options so they'll be at the ready when your bike does come in. I'll keep fingers crossed that your insurance company gives you the green light and works hard for you. That's why we pay for insurance in the first place, right?!

In the meantime, hang in there. Your luck is bound to change after all you've been through. You deserve for it to change for the better! But...maybe don't book any flights for a little while just to be safe. :heart::heart::heart:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Unfortunately the thread reflects my life right now!

• Like Like x 1
  5. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #45 learningtofly, Jul 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    Yes, very lucky with regard to my injuries... just a bit sore now but no longer going into spasm. Without going into detail, my inability to move quickly (especially getting out of bed, which was agonising) was causing me a real problem in terms of my colitis symptoms. All in all, I had a pretty undignified few days which didn't do my general spirits much good at all.

I was also surprised by the repair estimate, but once costs reached 60% of value the bike would have been deemed a write-off anyway. I now just need to get confirmation that I can proceed with ordering a replacement and then i can get on to my guy at the dealership and see how quickly we can get our hands on another one. As you say, @Sandi T, plenty of time to remove all the goodies in readiness for refitting.

As for flying... yes, perhaps I’ll put any trips on the back burner for now o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #46 learningtofly, Jul 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    Just a very quick update for anyone interested...

My back is really getting better far more quickly than I could’ve hoped. It’s still a bit sore generally and hurts quite a bit if I actually put pressure on it with the wrong kind of movement or trying to lift something with any weight to it. However, I’m confident that within a couple of weeks I’ll be largely pain-free.

With regard to the bike, I’ve had a couple of recent conversations with Aviva and it looks like an order for a brand new replacement will have been placed by the end of next week. They’re happy to request my dealership to source the bike (the replacement vehicles team will speak to the sales manager direct) and will also advise me on whether they can source one themselves more quickly/easily so that I can make a decision on where I choose to go for the replacement. Apparently, whatever is on the sales invoice is what will be covered under the claim, so at the moment it looks like I can simply order a new bike with all the OEM-fitted options on it, thereby negating the requirement to remove anything other than the Motone and Legend Gear bits from the old new (!) bike prior to it being removed as salvage.

More news, as and when!

• Like Like x 7
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good news mate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I'm very glad you don't seem to have to haggle with insurers on top of all you've had thrown at you already. Good news indeed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    It's good to hear something positive coming in to this thread after all you've been through! I do hope the improvements and the good news just keep coming for you. One day at a time .......... :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks both. Yes, a bit of good news certainly hasn't gone amiss - i feel like I've earned it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #51 sprintdave, Jul 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
    Jesus Christ, just seen this.
    Talk about shit luck, can see you never got hit with the lucky stick. Still, once again you live to fight another day and you got your humour...and another new bike. Stay safe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    At last, some good news:), here's hoping, praying etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thank you, and yeah... it's been a bit of a journey of late. What doesn't kill you, etc etc.
    Thanks mate!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    You have MORE than earned it! :heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  15. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #55 learningtofly, Jul 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2023
    Popped over to North London Triumph earlier today, and saw my poor old bike for the first time since the accident. Spent over an hour taking off the parts that I (rather than Triumph) fitted, prior to the bike being taken away as salvage.

Fortunately, the sales manager at North London Triumph has already sourced a replacement in the Lind East London branch. He’s hoping to have it over at Watford by the middle of next week, and discussions are progressing well with the insurers such that I’m hoping to be on the road again in about three weeks (I’m actually scared to say too much in case I jinx it).

I must admit, my back is a bit sore after crouching down for so long today, but hopefully it’ll be feeling better prior to the new bike’s arrival.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That’s some good news, @learningtofly. I’m sure it was difficult to see that bike that you put so much heart and soul—and money—into in such a sorry state. But it’s great that you will have your new one quite soon! Hopefully when that one arrives and is ready to ride, you’ll be even more healed up than you are currently. I’m sure you are itching to get back out. Were you able to salvage most of the parts that you put on the bike?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks @Sandi T. Yes, luckily everything that I put on as aftermarket was completely undamaged and removable; in fact, to look at the bike there was very little damage from the forks backwards (well, save for the radiator). The front end was completely twisted, but apart from some minor scratches - for example to the engine bars - you would never have known the bike had been in such a bad accident as it largely looked unmarked.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    What a tale of amazingly awful bad luck, with the one exception that the insurance seems to have been problem free, which is equally amazing but in a good way. I know it's an old cliche but the most important thing is you seem to have escaped without serious injury. I hope you get your new bike soon and well done for not giving up on biking!
    You must be roughly in the same neighbourhood as me if you are using Triumph Watford, I'm in Chalfont near Amersham so might see you on a ride out sometime.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks, and let’s make that happen as soon as I’m feeling well enough ( I have a slight health issue at the moment). I’m in Borehamwood, so not too far away.

• Like Like x 1
  20. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #60 learningtofly, Jul 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
    Well, I signed off the insurer's order for the replacement bike a couple of days ago and - true to their word - they're supplying me with a like for like bike including all options and extras included in my original purchase. The bike is presently with North London Triumph awaiting parts fitting and completion of the PDI, so it shouldn't be much more than a week now before it's ready for collection (I'm just waiting for confirmation of the date).

Ironically I received my renewal terms yesterday - luckily I was sitting down as its doubled in cost. I suspect that it's the consequence of both the ridiculous uplifts being applied this year, together with the accident.

PS As the date gets closer, I'm increasingly aware that my confidence has taken a bit of a knock. I'm a pretty defensive rider anyway, but I suspect I'll need to get some mileage under my belt prior to feeling "normal" again.

• Like Like x 5