T120 Temperature Gage

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by RickM46, Dec 14, 2023.

1. IFGD

IFGD New Member

Nov 23, 2023
    Raleigh
    That's correct, the oil splashes up onto the probe. I actually have one on the way. Should be here tomorrow. I like the aesthetics of this particular farkle and even if it isn't all that up-to-the-minute in terms of accuracy, it does help one get accustomed to where the bike should be temperature wise during various situations.

I tested the one I had on my previous bike by placing the probe in boiling water. It was accurate, however it took two business days for the needle to get up to 211 F. So, in the case of some sort of catastrophic coolant loss, that little gauge will be down there happy and cheerful, proudly proclaiming all is well while your engine turns into one solid block of aluminum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    So IFGD, the one on your previous bike is the same as your one on order??

3. IFGD

IFGD New Member

Nov 23, 2023
    Raleigh
    Not quite sure it's the same manufacturer, but they look identical.

• Like Like x 1
  4. IFGD

IFGD New Member

Nov 23, 2023
    Raleigh
    I just got the one I ordered from New Bonneville. It's accurate and looks great, but like my previous oil fill temp gauge, it takes forever to register. Placed in a pot of water at a rolling boil it took over two minutes to go from 60F to 210F. Not sure who makes it, but it's actually branded by New Bonneville.

5. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Update; took a short ride with the new gauge - 1/2 mile - around my subdivision; outside temp was 42F and gauge showed 52F in my garage (my garage is usually 10F greater than outside); at end of ride, the gauge showed 99F; felt right side cover with my hand and that temp felt about right.

6. IFGD

IFGD New Member

Nov 23, 2023
    Raleigh
    Keep in mind oil temp will be different than water temp.

I rode my bike around for about an hour today with outside temps in the low 50s. The fan kicked on on the way home at a stoplight, so I know the water temp was at 217. I looked down at the gauge and it read 170.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    #28 RickM46, Dec 24, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
    Think on my next ride, I will drag along my trusty digital meat thermometer (with long probe to dip into oil under the oil fill cap; hey it works good for beef) and my handheld infrared gun and see what I get; but, raining here, so maybe sometime next week.

8. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Update: alas and alack; had a senior moment some time ago and can't find where I stored my handheld infrared heat gun I bought a few years ago for no good reason; have looked high and low; I think it took the last bus out of Dodge or was abducted by alien creatures.

Bought the bike temp gauge hoping to keep an eye on my oil temp. Did notice the gauge is in sync with my wall temp gauge in the garage.
    Drat, will keep looking.