T120 Pannier Query

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by learningtofly, May 2, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    LTF, have decided to go with the Motechs for my T120; I like the minimalist look of the bags; do you have a model number for them???

2. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #22 learningtofly, Nov 16, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
    Good decision, and you'll find them easily under the Legend Gear moniker through SW-Motec's US distributor network (alternatively, if you don't mind importing them I'd have a look at Motolegends here in the UK, as they seem to be the cheapest). The name is used universally so you should be fine.

Just remember that they do two sizes (9.8l and 13.5l) - I ended up getting both. You also need to order the shoulder straps in addition, assuming you'd want them.

3. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    #23 RickM46, Nov 16, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
    Thanks LTF!! I have the plain Triumph grab bar (no rack) on my T120, was there any problem with mounting the rails on yours??? Do the bags come with the mounting rails?? All I see at their website is a 'glove' that slides over the seat and allows fixings the bags to it with S hooks and straps.

4. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #24 learningtofly, Nov 16, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
    In the UK you have the option of buying as a kit. Notwithstanding that, the pannier rails come with adapters to ensure fitting with or without the grab rail is completely straightforward.

Re your last question, they offer two methods of mounting the bags. You need to go for the "side carrier" rail system (as opposed to straps), which means code LC as opposed to LS. By the way, LC1 is the small bag system, and LC2 is the larger bags.

This is the complete kit as shown on the UK site.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    LTF, thanks for all the good info on the Motechs; however, I instead went with the Viking Incognito XS right and left saddle bags for a total of $250 + shipping. The Motechs came in around $600.

https://www.vikingbags.com/products...le-t120-solo-motorcycle-saddlebag-right-only;

That price included a 22 percent discount I got by merely calling Viking customer service with some questions. Ordered on their website on Thursday; bags showed up on Saturday. Their distribution center is in Illinois and I live in Indiana.

Included were the bags and all mounting rails and bolts and spacing ferrules. Easy installation and detach/attach. Two bolts of 4 bolts were not long enough to accommodate spacing ferrules to my Triumph grab rail; but, there were 2 other bolts and ferrules that worked OK that held the rails solidly. Will maybe make trip to hardware store.

Strange however, Viking sent me two (yes 2) flat black grab rails that I didn't need since I already had the Triumph grab rails. Now, I have 2 very sturdy flat black grab rails to hang on the garage wall. https://shop.triumphcleveland.com/s...-Grab-Rail-and-Rack-Mount-A9758329-p125813536

The bags have more straps than I know what to do with and will have to figure out how to use them. The interior is one fixed plastic bag that waterproofs the contents. Happy Camper.

6. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #26 learningtofly, Nov 18, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
    They look like very decent bags, and the medium size, together with the mounting plate & fixings on the back, suggest that they’re pretty much the same design as the Motech. In fact, I had the same issues with the ferrules provided.

Anyway, the important thing is that you’re happy. Strange about the grab rails, though!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    #27 RickM46, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    Update: Be advised, after installation, the bags are ruggedly mounted in place; their appearance is purely functional; if viewed from either side, they present well; however, from the rear, there is some daylight between them and the frame - not exactly in harmony with the styling of the bike. Viking had to put some space around the rear shocks.

I have been spoiled by the looks of the leather bags that were included on my Harley Road King that I owned some years ago.

However, I will go with Viking and appreciate their rugged functionality; excellent for the money; 1 easily accommodates my 10 inch iPad and mouse for my morning start of day coffee at Starbucks; with the other empty for a thermos of hot coffee for riding in this cold climate; now, what to do with the 2 extra grab rails that are built like ball bats.