Featured Sturgis Trip On My (non) Triumph

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Aug 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    We just missed each other, Oldrookie! Well, I was looking for Triumphs and think I saw maybe four. Actually, three of them being ridden in a group by three guys. Saw them in front of the Stinger Saloon and they were all brand spankin' new Rocket III's! I think I have a photo of one and I'll include it in my next post. Yes, the area is definitely riding paradise! I could ride Spearfish Canyon every week for the rest of my riding days. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Billy! Glad you are enjoying my posts about our Sturgis adventure. Stayed tuned because the "best" (you'll see what I mean) photos are yet to come.

Hmmm, I guess I hadn't considered the bathroom break thing. Our ride leader for the trip there smokes (vapes) so I guess I was assuming that was part of the reason for our numerous stops.

I think Mr. Sandi and I would go back to Sturgis again some day but aren't in any particular hurry. There are so many places that we'd like to ride that we haven't been yet. If we do go again we'd probably plan a longer trip where we incorporated some of those other places we'd like to see and have the Sturgis rally be relegated to several days in the midst that trip.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #23 Sandi T, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Day #4: Lead, South Dakota to Deadwood (by hotel shuttle) to Sturgis (on Da Bus) (0 riding miles) Total trip miles to date=1300. Well, to be exact, 1301. ;)

Today was our first full day in the Sturgis area. We woke up to a steady rain so had another cup of coffee and figured out how to spend our day. First off wecided to give our arses a rest and use public transit to get the lay of the land and see the sights. Our hotel provided a free shuttle to Deadwood and we learned that an enterprising gentleman had several years back set up a bus system (Da Bus) that runs during the rally only. So we figured out that we could go round trip from Deadwood to Sturgis on Da Bus for a reasonable fee and opted for that.

One of my first thoughts upon waking up to the rain this morning was....."Thank God I'm not camping with our buddies at the White Tail Resort!" :eek: I was grateful to be dry and warm and with a good cup of coffee in hand. Actually, by the time we got to Deadwood on the hotel shuttle the rain had all but stopped and the clouds were breaking up. And shortly after that the sun came out and it was a glorious day to explore Deadwood and Sturgis for the first time ever for Mr. Sandi and me and our friend, Larry.

Here are some photos from our day along with some comments. Enjoy! Oh, and there's one photo that I slid in here for all you forum guys to enjoy. :blush: I thought I'd have to sneak a photo of this woman but she was quite pleased and proud to pose for me! ;)

Day #4: Morning in Deadwood

1 Deadwood.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 9.19.23 PM.png

6 Deadwood.jpeg

Two members of the Buffalo Chip Bikini Team and their Boston Red Sox fan mascot :p

9 Deadwood.jpeg

The next picture is of me with two well-known women in the world of women's motorcycling, Gloria Struck on the left, who is still riding at 93 years of age. She's in a couple of motorcycle halls of fame. In the middle is Betsy Huelskamp who writes blogs and MC magazine columns. I recognized Betsy's bike parked on the street and was looking at it when Mr. Sandi told me to turn around and see the owner! Gloria Struck wrote a book about her 75 years as a motorcyclist so I went inside with her to buy a copy which she graciously autographed for me. I was so glad that we just decided to wander around Deadwood for the morning or we wouldn't have met these two women!

7 Deadwood.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 9.25.54 PM.png

IMG_4124.jpeg

IMG_4125.jpeg

Day #4: Afternoon and Evening in Sturgis

I didn't take all that many photos in Sturgis on this day but we went back a couple of days later and I got more. So here are a few to whet your appetites. If you are tiring of my words and photos, keep scrolling down and you will be amply (yes, AMPLY) rewarded!

Yes, there are bikes other than Harleys at Sturgis! ;)

IMG_3636.jpeg

IMG_3651.jpeg

Looks like I've hit my allowed 10 photos in this post. I'll share several more in another post to follow this one.

• Like Like x 13
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Day #4: Afternoon in Sturgis CONTINUED

IMG_3648.jpeg

This is "Da Bus". They have beers and shots for passengers en route!

IMG_3643.jpeg

The Garage Boys playing at The Knuckle Saloon. We fell in love with this band about 8 years ago at the Laughlin River Run and have seen them there and at Arizona Bike Week and Las Vegas Bike Fest every since then. They started playing Sturgis too just last year.
    1 Knuckle.jpeg

And here's the photo you've been so patiently scrolling for. We'd heard there were women all over like the place like this. But really, she stood out. In many ways. ;) And as I said, she was quite happy to pose for photos!:p

2 Knuckle.jpeg

• Like Like x 14
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I saw Deadwood - I thought Ian McShane was brilliant as Al Swearengen!

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Looks like great fun Sandi:),that was a stroke of luck meeting Gloria & Betsy, and still riding at 93 Gloria is an inspiration to us all:cool: great write up and photos:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Oldrookie

Oldrookie Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Avon, IN
    Stayed in Spearfish Canyon Lodge. The road into the parking lot turns into hundreds of miles of dirt roads and trails. It was killing me not to have my Scrambler.

Really like the pic of you, Gloria and Betsy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Great thread Sandi, have enjoyed reading it and seeing your photos, I have a serious question about the last picture though ... how the hell do those studded nipple caps stay on? :blush::p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T
    Absolutely fantastic. You are my hero again. Love this story all the way keep writing.
    Ride Safe & Regards
    Joe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Bikerman.
    Great sign got to get me one of those. Sandi T also. I can't swim. Saddened now i'm really stuffed.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Great write up Sandy, lookin forward to t'rest of it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Marshmallow creme?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yep, he was our favorite actor--and character! Did you see the movie that came out a couple of months ago or so that wraps up the whole story? I think it's a Netflix movie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Dougie! It was great fun and new adventures every day. Meeting Gloria and Betsy was definitely a highlight and Gloria was both feisty and gracious. Truly an inspiration. Glad you're enjoying the photos and write up. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    My hubby has a long-time friend who has stayed in the Spearfish Canyon Lodge and loved it. I'm not an off-road rider but could well imagine becoming one if I loved in the Black Hills!! Yep, that photo of Gloria, Betsy, and me is one of my faves from the trip and probably the one I shall most treasure.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Billy! Glad you're enjoying the thread. I'm enjoying sharing our adventures with you all! Your question is a serious and puzzling one. Lady Gaga has a song called "Born This Way". Maybe that explains it? Ummm, I don't think so!! :p We did have several discussions trying to come up with an answer to your question but finally gave up and just chalked it up to "Sturgis Stickiness".

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Joe! :kissing_heart: I'm enjoying writing tidbits and posting photos. I sort of get to relive the trip a bit when I'm doing so. Glad you're enjoying the thread. :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hmmm, marshmallow creme could be handy. She can make S'Mores over the campfire when she retires for the evening.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I forgot to add the map of our Day #4 adventures so here it is. This was the day we opted to let our iron horses rest--not to mention our behinds. So we took the hotel shuttle and Da Bus this day.

Shuttle and Da Bus route map.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T
    I want to loves in the black hills aswel. But it has to be with Doris Day. My childhood favourite.
    Regards
    Joe.