Featured Sturgis 2023: Taking The Long Way ' Round In The American Southwest

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Sandi T, Aug 19, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Thank you @Sandi T , your ride write-ups are fabulous:). As well as travelling vicariously with you, it feels like every day is a school day as you share what you've discovered along the way:cool:.

Stay safe, may your work be positive for you and all you work with, and enjoy your rides:).

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Dawsy! I'm glad you consider my write ups -- slow though they were this time around -- worth the wait. :):kissing_heart: I LMAF at your reference to the old days when we had to wait a week for that next episode. :joy::joy::joy: And now we're back to that with some of the new-fangled Netflix / Amazon Prime / Hulu / etc. etc. etc. series. Steve and I like to find good "old" (relative these days) series that have about eight seasons all complete so we can just binge watch at our leisure and non of this waiting bit. ;)

No big trips planned but a couple of little ones. Next Sunday there are four of us doing an over-nighter to Silver City. I've posted about that town before. I'm going to take my new Harley Low Rider ST. It's not a "cushy" touring bike like my Street Glide Special but should be fun for a shortie trip like this one. And we just set up a trip to see the 33rd Annual Mecum Vintage and Antique Motorcycle Auction in Las Vegas in January. We had a little house party with riding buddies when that auction was televised on Motortrend last January. That should be quite an interesting experience! Here's a link to the event if you're curious. https://www.mecum.com/auctions/las-vegas-motorcycles-2024/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @learningtofly, for understanding. And for the kind comment about my write up. I hope you enjoyed it.

Wow, that's a good question. And it's a relatively easy answer for this 2023 trip. I would choose the road trip itself. We carefully chose the routes both to and from Sturgis very carefully and went to many places we'd never seen before. And some we'd not seen but had hear about all our lives like Yellowstone National Park. And to make my choice even simpler, the weather while we were in the Black Hills for the rally was quite disappointing and kept us from fully enjoying all the cool sights and events. That said, I still really enjoyed hanging out in Deadwood and in Sturgis for the time we were there (especially the chances of time that is wasn't raining!) And it was great to get to see my brother and sister-in-law and nephews.

Now for the trip we did in 2019, my choice is the opposite and for several reasons. First off, we sort of "tagged along" with two riding buddies who had been to Sturgis before and who always took the interstate. I mentioned that back in my Sturgis 2019 ride report which I don't know if you've seen. Anyway, that whole trip to the rally was go, go, go...the focus was the destination and not the journey. Not my cup of tea. But when we did arrive in the Black Hills, we had very good weather for the most part and got to see a lot. Plus it was the first time we'd been there so everything was new.

I don't know that we'll attend the Sturgis Rally again during our riding "careers" as there's so many places to see and so little time. But, that said, it sure would be cool to be able to do it one more time and have the best of both trips--a great road trip and a great time at the rally!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thank you so much for your kind comments about my write-ups, @RevPaul. I'm really glad you enjoy them! I loved what you said about every day being a school day because that's how it feels to me, too, when we do trips like this. My hubby and I in particular (compared to some of our riding buddies) just love to find out of the way places, meet people, and learn more about the towns and areas through which we ride. For us, that's kind of the point! While we do always have a particular destination (or destinations), the journey is always as important or even more important than the destination itself.

Thank you also for your encouraging words about my work and the great reminder to always enjoy my rides!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Sandi T: Thank you for your great reports of your unbelievable journey!!!:heart_eyes::kissing_heart:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Another awesome ride report Sandi and thanks for taking the trouble to photograph and write them up.
    Those black clouds looked very ominous but at least it wasn’t continuous and you had plenty of dry riding. I’m with you on riding in the rain, I detest it and am always worried about falling off.
    Definitely looking forward to your next trip and report. Take care and ride safe.

• Love You Love You x 1
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @BonnieCat

Thanks, Nikki! I'm glad you enjoyed my Sturgis Trip ride report. I enjoy putting my ride reports together and sharing our adventures. You take care and ride safe, too!! :)
    :kissing_heart: