Street Twin Brake Disc

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by beerkat, Feb 29, 2024.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I've owned two Gen2 Street Scramblers, which weigh about the same as the ST and the brakes are excellent with enough stopping power to lock the front with two fingers. I never rode a Gen1 but most reviews of the later model remark on the big improvement in braking. The 2nd Gen went to a 4 pot Brembo caliper on the front from a 2 pot Nissin. My ZZR has two four pot Nissins on the front which lack for nothing. It's the extra pots that count, not the name. Long gone are the days when manufacturers could put a sticker on the forks stating the brakes are crap in the wet! :joy:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Hopefully when the bits arrive and I've fitted the Brembo 4-pot + floating disc I will be able to confirm the improvement in braking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Free Spirits adapter bracket has arrived.

IMG_5035.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  4. ST Rat

ST Rat New Member

Sep 26, 2024
    Wilts
    I'm fitting the Honda (Nissen) 3 piston and floating disc (ebc) next week. I'm hoping the standard master cylinder will be appropriate. If not, what are my options based on experience gained here? I have a 14mm from a 955i Sprint in the shed but I'm guessing this maybe less than ideal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ST Rat

ST Rat New Member

Sep 26, 2024
    Wilts
    ......isn't the Gen2 Street Twin (Brembo equiped) a 12.7mm master cylinder?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    You are correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ivenoidea

ivenoidea Member

Feb 25, 2023
    Essex
    Hi, i have fitted a Nissin 3 pot caliper from a Honda cb 1000 plus a 14mm master cylinder also from a Honda.The caliper was a direct fit no bracket needed.Simple work. good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ST Rat

ST Rat New Member

Sep 26, 2024
    Wilts
    Thanks for the encouragement Iven. A couple of questions if I may. Clearly you used the 14mm master cylinder as the stock (11mm from memory?) was not ideal? What is the difference in lever travel? Any other comments regarding feel/performance?

I have a 14mm Triumph master cylinder in the shed and I have a repair kit on the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ivenoidea

ivenoidea Member

Feb 25, 2023
    Essex
    Hi,it was difficult to bleed the Caliper as it was designed for the dual braking system on the Honda,the caliper i purchased on e-bay was brand new and had been converted for use.Now the lever has very little travel,great for my liking. i also fitted HBC brake pads.I am 72 now with a serious back issue but when i can i enjoy the bike immensely, i have also drilled out the baffles in the stock exhaust,now has a deeper rich sound.Hope this is of use.Pete.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ST Rat

ST Rat New Member

Sep 26, 2024
    Wilts
    Thanks for replying Pete and your help is very welcome my friend. I too prefer a lever with little movement so I will prepare my 14mm master cylinder for use.

I have V&H silencers (no baffles) and have removed the catalytic converter and you are right, sounds much better! Removing the airbox 'snorkel' and fitting a DNA air filter have added to the joy in my ears :)

Thanks again Pete, I'll let you know how it all goes.

• Agree Agree x 1