Old Guy Shout Out From The Southern States

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by namvet6971, Jan 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Namvet and welcome to the forum :cool: best of luck in your search for occasional ride and pillion carrier. Love the TBirds but ended up with a lighter Speedmaster for the old knees and ankles. Mrs Dartplayer is good for half hour

C6A8144C-B9A0-41DB-A705-5D5E5819CD79.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. namvet6971

namvet6971 New Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Columbia S.C, USA
    Thanks for advice, Joe. Agreed on test rides. Harleys are a dime a dozen, in these parts. Triumph's
    I hear ya. I've owned 16 bikes over the years and up until recently always had 2 in the garage. Had a 75 MGB that I restored. Have always wanted a 32 Ford street rod. Wife said, your not getting any younger. So I sold the 750 Gixxer, Harley flhtci and the B. Bought the 32. Now I'm realizing I need another bike in my life. Something that fits my age. Gonna be another Triumph...
    Beautiful bike, but my wife wouldn't last long on that P-pad...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Namvet: Lots of fun things out there to play with. I buy older Triumphs. I don't pay that much for one. Then I can afford to trick it out as much as I want. Here is a quick look at mine. ...J.D.
    The fleet -2015.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  4. namvet6971

namvet6971 New Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Columbia S.C, USA
    Beautiful stable of bikes. You're a lot more agile than me, to ride in that tucked position on that Red Racer. I got rid of my 750 GSXR real quick. Sore wrists and back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    She is a '95 Sprint. More of a sport tourer than a sport bike. Great long distance bike actually. "Agile" I'm not. I am 74. Once I get my feet up under me, she is pretty comfortabe. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 3
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    namvet6971.
    Then I think you should try the sprint 1050. Great bike for two up. Or the tiger 800
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 4
  7. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    A warm welcome from Atlanta

• Like Like x 1
  8. Grippy

Grippy New Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Ontario.Canada
    Hi I was in the same position last year,not ridden for 20+years,never even considered it.Then out of the blue decided to buy a bike to tour Eastern Canada.Looked on line and bought a 1994 BMW 1100 rs.After much work had it in good shape.I had forgotten how good it feels to ride and love the bike.....But at 75 years old I find on the move the bike is great but a handfull to manouver when stopped.I looked in on some dealers and asked about bikes for shorter riders (any brand).Non to be had with a decent sized engine,no chance of getting on any of the adventure bikes!Then called in on a Triumph dealer,sat on a Street Twin and bought it,no test ride just felt perfect,both feet flat on the ground.Pick it up in spring,can't wait.I have had many bikes in the past,lots of Triumphs in England.Now in your neck of the woods South Carolina waiting for the snow to clear in Canada:cool:.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. offout

offout Member

Jan 14, 2020
    oldham
    Obviously I agree with the 1050gt

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. namvet6971

namvet6971 New Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Columbia S.C, USA
    Hi Grippy, Good to hear from another Senior Northerner. Being from Buffalo, NY and drove truck through Ontario for 25 years, you got a good spell before Winter heads out up that way. I too want a lighter bike, figuring I'm not getting any younger. Especially when my Wife is on back. Being 6'2" I don't have any saddle height problems. Guys on forum, have been great with suggestions. Kinda leaning more towards a more traditional looking Triumph. Looking at low mileage used bikes. Just not a lot in a 4 state area. From what I gather, you live down here in S.C. ? Where about, I'm outside Columbia in Irmo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Grippy

Grippy New Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Ontario.Canada
    Good luck wth the search,don't live here,just in Myrtle Beach for a couple of months 'till the snow clears.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dallenbaugh

Dallenbaugh Active Member

Jan 5, 2019
    Santa Cruz , CA
    I told my wife I sold my last bike THREE times. I'm now 72 and bought a 2018 Triumph Speedmaster last year. But it gets worse, had the itch to do one last long trip so took the SM, with a comfortable Corbin seat, on a 2800 mile trip. Bike ran perfect. The itch is now worse, planning a 4700 mile trip this summer. Where does it all end, probably when I can't get in the saddle without help, in the mean time, we will continue to ride with a smile on our face!

0822190836a_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Brilliant mate :cool:
    Keep on rollin:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I must say, out of all the bikes I have owned/ridden, my old America is the one I want to pack my camera, my laptop and ride off in to the sunset on. Stop every night at a comfortable motel, eat, download my pictures and write about the experience. Trouble is, my wife and kids might never see me again. Just one of those things old men dream about I guess. Ohh...back to reality :) ...J.D.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good man, there is nothing better than a road trip to keep you smiling. The speedmaster is a great companion to take along for the ride.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. namvet6971

namvet6971 New Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Columbia S.C, USA
    Beautifully set up bike. Wife and I logged a few long trips. The furthest was 7500 miles, all on a Harley Electraglide. Don't plan on anymore long trips, just out for a few hours. My Wife always rides on back and couple times bike was leaning a little too far at a stop. Had all I could do to hold it up. That's why I'm going with a lighter day rider. Wishing you the best. in your travels.

• Like Like x 1