Noisy Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tiglet, May 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    I thought it was Lemmy!

DS

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Yep Lemmy :cool:
    I’ve got the T shirt :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    I would love my high level TORS to sound like the standard can, smooth and mellow. I tried to take one of my earlier TORS apart so I could get some more wadding in there but couldn't get the bloody thing apart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Imo loud pipes spoil a good ride. You just end up with a headache after a short while. I do get having loud pipes gets you heard, but agree that if we don’t take responsibility the authorities will...

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    "fast jets" the sound of freedom mate :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Could have had yourself a nice little job there as doorman, payment in kind free play with the goods :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Sorry all but I've pretty much done a deal on this, when I get it i will try and do a before and after video for comparison and to show how quiet and responsible I am :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Not expecting to go get it until the restrictions are a bit more relaxed so don't think it will be much before the end of June :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Couldn't agree more with BMF. Noisy bikes annoy people. We already have a poor image.... why make it worse?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. String

String Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Sunderland
    Hit the nail on the head

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Munchen

Munchen Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    I've never been obsessed with a loud exhaust, I've run a standard system on a VFR for 20 years which makes that awful whine. I could quite understand someone complaining about the sound of that, rather than a loud can!

However, the Street can be enjoyed because of it's music - which it sometimes plays a little louder than most. I don't complain when I'm sat outside in a cafe, drinking a cappucino, enjoying a big slice of raspberry tart and some dude is blowing cigarette smoke across my bow. He has a right to enjoy a smoke and I have a right to ride my motorbike.

All this complaining about each other is what drives divide between us and it serves no purpose other than to justify authority in to making even more laws and to make us in turn more easily controllable.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  12. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #51 MadMrB, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Absolutely.

Everyone can find something to complain about, and some seem to find more to complain about than others. I except that some people take things to an extreme level, and its those people who should be targeted, and not everyone else.

We have lost so much of our freedoms and we have become governed in an increasing authoritarian manner in recent years, because authorities take the lazy and easy option of blanket leglisation, instead of actually dealing with the minority that cause the problems. We are fast heading towards a society where restrictions outweigh freedoms, and if it continues then instead of being told what you can't do, it will be that you are only allowed to do what the state tells you.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  13. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    I agree, excessively loud pipes are a pain, l have a pair of after market silencers on mine but have left the baffles in...they were stupidly loud without them and got on my wick on long motorway runs.
    As they are now it is slightly louder than standard but not loud enough to annoy me or other people.
    Some of the Harleys going round here are ridiculously loud and the fair weather posers just love revving up and pissing people off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MonkeyHanger

MonkeyHanger Active Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Barnstaple, Devon
    Can't remember the track but, if you listen to made in Japan - I think it's at the start of Smoke On The Water - you can hear Ian Gillan say to the Roadies, " Yeah, I want everything louder than everything else".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Haven't listened to that for years, I've still got the original vinyl in the loft...absolute classic and my favourite version of 'Lazy'

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    I live in the grandstand for this event. The noise doesn't bother me, but I do feel for non bikers who don't want to hear it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tim Stich

Tim Stich Well-Known Member

May 25, 2020
    Colorado Springs, CO USA
    At least your country isn't overrun by out of shape, middle-aged dolts with straight pipes on their Harley's, which cost them more than a new Hyundai Sonata, I have one of those gits that visits the bar next door to me at all hours. He tries to be quiet, but no, you really can't do that, son. Just put a muffler back on the bike.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    There’s one like that a few doors down from me. Noisy ‘orrible POS :poop:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    I have aftermarket SC Project slip-on cans on my Speedy. It’s not a performance thing, but I do prefer the look and fruity sound of em over the stock OEM ones.
    That said, they’re not too loud. They come with removable baffles (dB killers) and I prefer to leave them in.
    I took them out to see what they were like and TBH they were too f’in noisy for me.
    Must be an age thing lol

P.S. it passed the MOT recently with them on

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes nothing wrong with a nice sounding pipe. The Arrows on my 675 do really make my hair stand when you start to open it up. But in villages and towns i slow down and let it just creep through. I just don't get the sitting at lights bliping the knackers of a bike just to look like the idiot they are. But as i said earlier school boy racers with there peds ripping around and around are as bad and probably related to the complainers. Come to think of it i laughed my head of today. My boy and i were coming home from the village there was a middle aged man in his smart car in the car park. He started it up god i though it was Sandi T in the mustang with straight through s. He turned on his boom boom box god i though the thing was going to vibrate to pieces. Tell you no joking all the people near him were laughing their heads of. So was i.
    Regards
    Joe

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire