Newbie Thunderbird 1700 Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Willie T, Jul 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Willie T

Willie T Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Bromley, Kent
    Thanks again Guys... Got up early this morning just to take it out for a quick blast...I don't think they should have bothered with a clutch.. Pulls like a train in any gear!!.. And the short exhausts definitely make the best noise!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Hi and a warm welcome...I'm on my third Tbird...my wife wouldn't let me sell even if I wanted to. We tour a lot on ours...we use the triumph long haul dual seat which she finds excellent. Also use the Triumph quick detachable windscreen, backrest/ luggage rack plus a set of factory panniers...it all works well. Ridden carefully the range is just short of 200 UK miles....I ride rather less than carefully and reckon on 160-170 before thinking about fuel.
    Al

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie T

Willie T Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Bromley, Kent
    Al cheers for that... Really helpful, I think I'll forget about the fuel gauge and work on refuelling at 160 miles

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Fantastic bike, I do miss my 2010 Thunderbird (blue with white stripe) a lot when it comes to longer more comfy rides.
    Did a days drive from Kiel (germany) to London in a day and it was a pleasure on this type of bike.

Managed to get hold of a third party solution so I could detach the panniers too.

When it comes to the fuel gauge i vaguely remember having a similar issue.
    Not sure if this was fixed at the first service or if it was a user error, but I do remember having a similar issue.
    I do remember there was some sort of recall (on my 2010 one) but not sure if it was related to the fuel gauge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Willie T

Willie T Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Bromley, Kent
    Superhans Kiel to London in a day is impressive! But I can see how this kind of bike makes that a pleasure.. Your Blue/white one was in fact my first choice colourwise but one didn't come up that ticked all the other boxes.. Did you have the standard seat on Yr one?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Yea, had the standard seat and it was comfy enough.
    But had the same short exhaust you have and it makes the bike sound and look a lot better. Added heated grips, panniers and a luggage rack and the chrome twin t handlebar (very similar driving position as yours have).

Lovely bike, and the dual lights and +100cc on yours just makes it even better.

I continued the trip from London to Dublin, then back again to Hull and a ferry from there to Holland.
    I do love my Speedy I have today but If I had room for one more bike it would be the Storm in matt grey. 1700 version.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Willie T

Willie T Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Bromley, Kent
    When you say yr speedy what bike is that? (sorry for my ignorance but their seems to be so many Truimph models starting with speed!.... When I was looking I did contemplate the new Speedmaster but when I test Rode it I found it just a little too small for me (I'm 6'5") still love the looks thou

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Willie T

Willie T Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Bromley, Kent
    When you say yr speedy what bike is that? (sorry for my ignorance but their seems to be so many Truimph models starting with speed!.... When I was looking I did contemplate the new Speedmaster but when I test Rode it I found it just a little too small for me (I'm 6'5") still love the looks thou

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Sorry, not sure Speedy is even used as a slang for Speed Triple, I have just assumed so.
    I have gone from naked sports (street triple) to a chrome-sled (TB1600) back to naked sports (speed triple x2).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    There was a recall when I had my 2010 but that was on the rear wheel bearings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Willie T

Willie T Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Bromley, Kent
    You really are a friendly bunch :grinning: Thank you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I think that issue is long since sorted for the later bikes. As is the coolant leak...PITA to cure on my '10 1600 tbird but it's done now. Again later bikes have a different filler junction hose set up and use proper pipe clamps rather than the dodgy jubilee clips on my bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Did they ever got the squeeky belt sorted on later models TB models?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    No

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    It's usually incorrect alignment...the belt needs to run dead in the centre of the rear pulley as there's no rail on this such as is on Harley's.
    It's fiddly to achieve but perfectly doable

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Adrian Braithwaite

Adrian Braithwaite Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Kirkhamgate
    Welcome
    I totally agree with the comments already made. Unfortunately due to a back injury, I am having to sell mine but they are wonderful bikes. The fuel gauge will reset after around five miles. One addition that I have found useful is the Truimph 12v auxiliary socket and bracket which is very useful for keeping a battery charged plugged in and for charging sat nav/phone etc. I think that I have a brand-new spare somewhere in the garage if you are interested . Just send me a message . Enjoy your bike, you will not be disappointed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Willie T

Willie T Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Bromley, Kent
    Hi Adrian, what a shame they yr having to get rid of yrs, gutted for you.. You are spot on about the fuel gauge after 5 or 6 miles it reset.. I'd like to have a 12v socket mainly for keeping the battery charged but sadly my Garage is in a block and doesn't have electricity.. Just did a 50 Mile M25 ride and loved every second!... Still find the clutch a bit heavy though but guess I need to man up a bit more!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Hi again
    I see you're Bromley based....there's at least three of my friends are tbird riders here in Tunbridge Wells.
    If you're down our way, let me know.
    Al

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1