New Speed Triple For 2018?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by waynecoluk, Sep 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    But maybe not enough to justify the upgrade for those of us who own the previous model. Not for me at least.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    True, I wouldn't change for just some extra top end power, no matter how much.
    What is maybe more relevant is how much quicker the new motor spins up.
    When they did the sound check, the new RS and S spin up a lot quicker than the 2017 R.
    And the RS's noise with the Arrows is awesome :)
    It's got a lovely sort of harsh sound now.

One thing that swings it for me is the cruise control, which is a big bonus if you do long distances on the Speed at all, rather than using it as a Sunday special.

Well that and the Arrows :p

I wasn't even thinking of changing mine until Saturday evening ! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Mmmmm, is it enough to take sales off the S1000R given that MCN quoted a price of £13,500 for the RS.

4. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Depends how you ride and whether you're chasing power or character IMO.
    I might use all the torque available on the odd occasion but rarely if ever have I used all the power (I haven't done track days on this bike). I've often thought it would be nice if all the fancy electronics we get now would also record max power and torque actually used (I notice the max speed that used to be recorded on the older instruments was dropped a while ago).
    I think a few riders would be surprised at the data.

5. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    When I was drag racing, the guy who does the electronics for half the Super Street class, put a Motec ECU/Logger on his road GSXR1000.
    He only used full throttle something like 2% of the time, and most of the time the bike was in the lower part of the throttle range (and this guy isn't slow !)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    From the Press Release. A bit lengthy.

The most powerful, responsive and best sounding Speed Triple ever
    The new generation Speed Triple S and RS incorporate a major engine development and
    advanced engineering for performance enhancement and a weight saving. All 105 new engine
    components play a role to offer more power and torque throughout the rev range and a smoother,
    more linear power delivery.

Peak power is now 7% higher than the previous generation at 150 PS and peak torque is up 4%
    at 117 Nm.

To enhance performance, engine updates include new lighter crank gear, lighter Nikasil-plated
    aluminium cylinder liners, a smaller starter motor, and lighter battery and alternator. New profile
    pistons and a new cylinder head with optimised exhaust ports improve gas flow and deliver an
    even higher compression ratio to achieve the increased power output.

A new sump lowers the oil level in the engine, reducing drag and improving weight distribution.
    The re-routed oil system now runs the oil internally through the head gasket to the cylinder head,
    allowing for the removal of external oil pipes, improved styling and reduced mass.

Triumph Motorcycles Chief Engineer, Stuart Wood, said: “We have made major changes to
    the new Speed Triple engine. The result is a motor that spins up faster and revs harder for longer
    with a red line now 1,000 rpm higher than the previous generation. This delivers more Triumph
    Triple character, crisp throttle response and the unmistakeable Triple deep, rich roar to match.”
    A new freer-flowing exhaust, larger catalyst and lighter header system improves gas flow and
    performance in both models. The restyled high-level silencers on the Speed Triple S and
    lightweight sports silencers as standard on the RS bring a significant improvement to the roar of
    the Triple engine, making the latest model the best sounding Speed Triple sound ever.
    An improved gearbox and slip assist clutch combine to improve rider comfort and help to deliver
    that perfect Speed Triple ride.

The most technologically advanced Speed Triple ever

Both models now feature angle adjustable full-colour 5-inch TFT instruments to ensure optimum
    visibility. A new dedicated Speed Triple logo animation is integrated into the start-up sequence of
    both models, while the different themes and styles available alter the layout of the information,
    linked to the riding modes. The new ergonomic switchcubes incorporate illuminated buttons to
    enhance rider interaction in all lighting conditions.

The advanced ride-by-wire system enables the configuration of the bike’s character to suit riding
    preferences using variable throttle maps, linked to up to five selectable riding modes. The new
    cruise control feature improves long distance rideability and is now standard on both models,
    while Daytime Running Lights incorporated into the headlights enhance visibility. This is in
    addition to the Speed Triple’s core technology package including switchable ABS, switchable
    traction control, and a USB charging point.

The new Speed Triple RS takes the model’s technology to a whole new level with optimised
    cornering ABS and traction control ensuring the optimum distribution of brake force, slip rate and
    torque control, improving both straight line riding and cornering. This is delivered through its
    advanced inertial measurement unit (IMU), developed in partnership with Continental, which
    takes constant measurements of roll, pitch, yaw, lean angle and acceleration rates, and responds
    with appropriate active safety features.

The Speed Triple RS also features a new keyless steering lock and ignition system, electronically
    activated by the lock button on the switchcube, with an option to disable the keyless function for
    even greater security.

Lighter and the best-handling Speed Triple ever

Both Speed Triple models now deliver the most agile and focussed ride ever, through new
    advanced rider aids and Triumph’s trademark neutral and precise handling. This is further
    enhanced on the RS with a weight saving of 3 kg.

The new RS also comes fitted as standard with an adjustable Brembo brake lever and matching
    clutch lever, plus a new comfort seat.

The new models retain the distinctive single-sided swinging arm and twin spar aluminium frame
    of the previous generation, optimised for stiffness for the perfect blend of rigidity and feel. The
    new models also retain the high level of specification across the bike, with Pirelli Diablo
    Supercorsa tyres and twin front brake discs with Brembo 4-piston 2-pad M4.34 radial Monobloc
    calipers.

Both models feature high specification fully adjustable suspension which can be set up for roadfocussed
    riding and track use.

• Speed Triple RS: 43 mm Öhlins NIX30 upside-down forks and Öhlins TTX36 twin tube rear
    monoshock, both fully adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping.
    • Speed Triple S: 43 mm upside-down Showa forks and Showa monoshock rear suspension
    unit, both fully adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping.

All the iconic Speed Triple attitude with a higher level of specification and finish
    The new models now feature all new high-gloss ten-spoke wheels for a more premium and
    contemporary look, while retaining the instantly recognisable aggressive, nose-down, focussed
    attitude that the Speed Triple is loved for.

The new race-style upswept twin silencers on the Speed Triple S have a larger bore and are
    fitted with aluminium heat shields, a black-painted body and a more slender stainless-steel end
    cap. The high-level Arrow Sports Silencers on the RS have been re-styled to be more angular
    and sporty with a brushed titanium finish, a carbon fibre heat shield and end cap, and reduced
    weight over the base silencers.

The Speed Triple RS also has a higher level of finish and premium detailing with lightweight
    carbon fibre bodywork on the front mudguard and radiator cowls, and new RS decals. A new
    colour-coded belly pan and key-release pillion seat cowl are fitted as standard, in addition to a
    new matt aluminium rear subframe, in keeping with the Street Triple RS theme..

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    "The Speed Triple RS also features a new keyless steering lock and ignition system, electronically
    activated by the lock button on the switchcube, with an option to disable the keyless function for
    even greater security."

........So I think that needs a bit of explaining to me??
    Sounds like if you buy the top model (which is more thief desirable anyway) you get an extra that makes the bike less secure unless you disable it?

The only "advance" in technology I would really wish to be added to my 94R is the cornering ABS, the rest is all very nice..... but I can live without.

(first time I've seen wheels described by the number of spokes on BOTH wheels :laughing:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I can definitely live without all of the improvements...which for some reason makes me want one all the more :confused:

The only tangible issue that's stopping me, is imagining the nightmare of having to work out whether an Evotech tail tidy will cause the indicators to clash with the position of the new cans o_O :weary_face: :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Agreed...there had been rumours of a quickshifter / blipper - they've got to keep something for the options list I suppose.

There's no gloss black though - it's matt jet black or crystal white according to the Triumph website.

10. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    The American web sites mention an up and down quickshifter, but looking at the bikes on Saturday, it just looked like a normal up only one.
    Although I guess it could be an up/down one as the sensor could work both ways without being any different externally?

11. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I hate white bikes and matt colours, so thanks Triumph ! :mad:
    I guess I might be able to put up with the Matt black for a little while....:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I use this product on my matt grey Speed and on my son's matt phantom black Daytona - it's brilliant...no marks, swirls, smudges, smears at all.

Get the dealer to pay for a bottle and buy the bike :p

13. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I tried to on Saturday but they wouldn't let me take it away :p

Common sense would mean getting the S, but for auditory appreciation, it has to be the RS :grinning:

If the rumoured prices are right ( I've heard £11,200 for the S and £13,500 for the RS) the £2,300 difference might mean an S with the Arrows fitted ....

• Like Like x 2
  14. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Some more details

• 'The most powerful and responsive Speed Triple ever, and the best sounding
      • A major development to the 1050 cc Triple engine, with 105 new engine parts
      • More power (150 PS) and more torque (117 Nm)
      • More Triumph Triple character by revving harder and spinning up faster
      • New freer-flowing silencer for improved exhaust sound
      • Arrow sports silencers fitted as standard on the Speed Triple RS

• The smartest and most technologically advanced Speed Triple ever
      • 5" full-colour TFT instruments with up to five rider modes
      • Innovative LED illuminated switchcubes
      • New optimised cornering ABS and traction control on the Speed Triple RS supported by a new inertial measurement unit
      • High level of specification including cruise control and DRL headlights, plus on the Speed Triple RS only, keyless ignition as standard

• Lighter and the best-handling Speed Triple ever
      • Sharper, more focussed and more agile
      • Distinctive twin spar aluminium frame and single-sided swing-arm
      • High specification suspension, Brembo brakes and Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa tyres
      • Improved rider comfort

• All the iconic Speed Triple attitude with a high level of specification and finish
      • Higher quality finish and detailing: new high-gloss wheels and restyled silencers
      • Contemporary new colours and decals
      • Lightweight carbon fibre bodywork and matt aluminium rear subframe on the Speed Triple RS

Standard Equipment

Full Colour Adjustable TFT Instruments

The Speed Triple S and RS feature all-new, angle-adjustable full colour 5" TFT instruments for riders to access the new on-board computer. There are three different screen display styles to choose from, pre-set to the riding modes and easily changeable on the move. To ensure that the screen is readable in all weather and riding conditions, each of the three styles can be selected with ‘High’ or ’Auto’ contrast. The Speed Triple RS comes with an additional set of three more screen display styles and a lap timer.

New On-Board Computer

Presents speedometer, rev counter, riding mode symbol, gear position display, fuel level, clock and ambient temperature on permanent display. Additional information is available via the selectable ‘tray’ at the bottom of the screen, including two trip displays, average and instantaneous fuel consumption, range to empty, riding mode selection, display style, contrast settings, service information, coolant temperature, and warning symbol information, plus lap timer (Speed Triple RS only).

New Switchcubes with Illuminated Buttons

To navigate the new instruments there are all-new switchcubes with an intuitive 5-way joystick control to improve ease of use. Innovative new back-lit buttons enhance rider interaction and improve control in all riding conditions.

Ride-by-Wire

For a crisper and more precise throttle response,
    with improved on/off throttle transition. Enabling different throttle maps, which, combined with the ABS and traction control settings, give up to five riding modes.

Riding Modes

Linked to the ride-by-wire system – Road, Rain, Sport and Rider configurable riding modes are selectable on both new models via the new switch gear, for maximum control and safety in different riding conditions. The Speed Triple RS also has an extra Track mode, offering advanced ABS and traction control settings.

Optimised Cornering ABS and Traction Control

(Speed Triple RS)

Optimised cornering ABS and traction control ensure the optimum distribution of brake force, slip rate and torque control, improving both straight line riding and cornering.

Inertial Measurement Unit

(Speed Triple RS)

The new inertial measurement unit (IMU), developed with Continental, takes constant measurements of roll, pitch, yaw, lean angle and acceleration rates, and responds with appropriate active safety features.

Switchable ABS and Traction Control

(Speed Triple S)

Maximising rider safety and control, the riding modes feature the appropriate ABS and traction control settings, which can be turned off completely via the Rider configurable mode.

Keyless Ignition and Steering Lock

(Speed Triple RS)

The new keyless ignition system recognises the proximity of the key fob, enabling a push button start. The steering lock is also keyless and electronically activated by the lock button on the switchcube, with an option to disable the keyless function for even greater security.

Cruise Control

An easy-to-use cruise control function is now fitted as standard to both new models for the first time ever on a Speed Triple, improving long distance rideability by reducing rider fatigue.

DRL Headlight*

Daytime Running Lights (DRL)* incorporated into the headlight bring excellent visibility and a distinctive light profile.

Specifications

SPEED TRIPLE S

SPEED TRIPLE RS

Engine Type

Liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder

Liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder

Capacity

1050 cc

1050 cc

Bore/Stroke

79 x 71.4 mm

79 x 71.4 mm

Compression Ratio

12.92:1

12.92:1

Maximum Power

150 PS / 148 Bhp (110 kW) @ 10,500 rpm

150 PS / 148 Bhp (110 kW) @ 10,500 rpm

Maximum Torque

117 Nm @ 7,150 rpm

117 Nm @ 7,150 rpm

Fuel system

Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with SAI

Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with SAI

Exhaust

Stainless steel 3 into 1 into 2, twin high level stainless steel silencers

Stainless steel 3 into 1 into 2, twin high level stainless steel silencers

Final drive

X ring chain

X ring chain

Clutch

Wet, multi-plate slip assist cltuch

Wet, multi-plate slip assist cltuch

Gearbox

6-speed

6-speed

Frame

Aluminium twin-spar

Aluminium twin-spar

Swingarm

Single-sided, aluminium alloy with eccentric chain adjuster

Single-sided, aluminium alloy with eccentric chain adjuster

Front Wheel

Cast aluminium alloy multi-spoke 17 x 3.5 in

Cast aluminium alloy multi-spoke 17 x 3.5 in

Rear Wheel

Cast aluminium alloy multi-spoke 17 x 6.0 in

Cast aluminium alloy multi-spoke 17 x 6.0 in

Front Tyre

120/70 ZR17

120/70 ZR17

Rear Tyre

190/55 ZR17

190/55 ZR17

Front Suspension

Showa 43 mm upside-down forks with adjustable preload, rebound and compression damping. 120 mm travel

Öhlins 43 mm NIX30 upside-down forks with adjustable preload, rebound and compression damping. 120 mm travel

Rear Suspension

Showa Monoshock with preload, rebound and compression damping, 130 mm rear wheel travel

Öhlins TTX36 twin tube Monoshock with preload, rebound and compression damping, 130 mm rear wheel travel

Front Brake

Twin 320 mm floating discs, Brembo 4-piston 2-pad radial monobloc calipers. Switchable ABS.

Twin 320 mm floating discs, Brembo 4-piston, 2-pad monobloc radial calipers. Switchable ABS

Rear Brake

Single 255 mm disc, Nissin single 2-piston sliding caliper. Switchable ABS.

Single 255 mm disc, Nissin single 2-piston sliding caliper. Switchable ABS

Length

2,075 mm

2,075 mm

Width (Handlebars)

775 mm

775 mm

Height Without Mirrors

1,070 mm

1,070 mm

Seat Height

825 mm

825 mm

Wheelbase

1,445 mm

1,445 mm

Rake

22.9 º

22.9 º

Trail

91.3 mm

91.3 mm

Dry Weight

192 Kg

189 Kg

Fuel Tank Capacity

15.5 L

15.5 L

Fuel Consumption

5.2 l/100km (54.3 MPG)

5.2 l/100km (54.3 MPG)

CO2 Emissions

119.0 g/km

119.0 g/km

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    I guess you’ve all seen this by now, but here goes the official launch video:-

Gled.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I must be pshycic physic Pissic know ferkin future things !

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Matthew Upshall

Matthew Upshall Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Reading
    I still like the look of my R with the gold Öhlins better........resist, resist.

Okay I willl have one. Where do I sign oh and how much?

Tony was good in the vid too!

Matt

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    You may find they fit the new model. It doesn’t look massively different at the tail end.
    Worth checking the parts numbers when they’re published.

19. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Has anyone heard any more about pricing yet?

20. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    After making snide remarks about hooliganism and the raiding of the Triumph parts bin, I've gone and ordered one o_O

Matt black RS - estimated to arrive around the end of March :laughing:

• Like Like x 6
  21. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    How much are they OTR?

22. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #60 MrTriple, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Well...no one knows exactly - but the RS is estimated at £13,500.

The deposit is fully refundable if I change my mind for any reason (like price or just not liking it), so basically, I have my name stamped on a bike in the factory and there's nothing to lose. If I cancel, I'll spend the money on servicing my existing bike (which is effectively for sale if anyone reads this shameless plug).

I'm going to the London MCN show at ExCeL next Friday and both versions should be on the stand - I'll be taking a toolkit to see if the baffles come out of the cans ;)

• Like Like x 1
  23. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #60 MrTriple, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Stuff that's bothering me...

It's not clear whether the Arrow cans are titanium or stainless (it states both on the Triumph website) and I've seen photos of some ugly exhaust clamps securing each can to the Y pipe (hidden behind the carbon twill weave shrouds that don't match the Triumph plain weave).

The baffles might be fixed.

It looks like they've switched the carbon tank side trims for plastic.