Last film you watched.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by OnlySon, Sep 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    A couple of films watched recently - the Mrs. has been on late shifts!

"LIFE" - a modern version of the original sci-fi killer/thriller "Alien". Ryan Reynolds; Jake Gyllenhall; Rebecca Ferguson et al,. are astronaut/scientists aboard the International Space Station when they take the bold and, ultimately, fatally stupid decision to attempt to get a single cell organism retrieved from Mars to show signs of life. They succeed, of course, and some predictable mayhem ensues! I won't give away any further plot details but will say that the film is quite a thriller, if predictable; has some very clever effects and stunts (particularly liked the zero-G sequences) and rather dubious ending. I watched it on Netflix. Trailer here :-

"SICARIO 2, Day of the Soldado" - the sequel to the original SICARIO but this time without the very pleasant eye candy provided by Emily Blunt. In this follow-up we see the two central protagonists played by Josh Brolin and Benicio del Torocontinue to fight the Mexican drug cartels but with the added moral complexity of people/terrorist smuggling across the US-Mexican border. The film is big on action and the plot does have some very odd twists and complications - not least the ending - and the tension is ratcheted smartly by the repeated and deeply foreboding sub-bass sequences in the soundtrack. If you like a LOT of guns and action sequences, this one won't disappoint. It's a really well made film with excellent acting from the whole cast, great plotline with twists and turns that weave through the moral dynamics and an ending that leaves an opening for future development. Definitely recommended. Available on Netflix. Trailer here :-

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

The Highwaymen, A movie that doesn't glorify Bonnie and Clyde but pictures them for what they were : criminals. And with Woody Harrelson and Kevin Costner who are two of my favourite actors.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Currently on series 2. Thoroughly enjoying it and thought series 1 was great too. Thanks for the tip.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Just watched Hotel Artemis, with Jodie Foster.
    In short... Don't waste your time.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Oh.. The Highwaymen .. Really enjoyed that. Very good film.

Only its shocking to see your favourite actors aging....Kevin Costner! Same with Jodie Foster in that Hotel Artemis.... Not sure how much of her apparent age in that was makeup If any....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON

This was a GREAT shout - thank you. Watched this last night on Netflix and thought it was outstanding - great performances from two "elder statesmen" of acting; well made and seemed much more 'honest' and nuanced in its approach to the true history ... especially if you watch through the ending where some contemperaneous photo's are shown.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Avengers:Endgame

Big fan of the Marvel films, this does not disappoint. 3 hours flies by. This is how to make a blockbuster.
    Action packed, even the old time travel plot (which I normally hate) was used to good effect.
    Definitely worth a watch if you like your hero /sci-fi, but you definitely need to have seen the previous - Infinity War.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Saw Endgame tonight, gotta agree... great film but need to have watched Infinity War

9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Not a film but a 6 part series worth recommending - "The Sinner" with Bill Pullman.

Intriguing tale well written and acted with great filming and direction.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Scrambled head

Scrambled head Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    Lala land, got to earn brownie points when you can :p
    did enjoy the film, think I am going soft :confused:

11. bulldogbobby

bulldogbobby Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2017
    norfolk
    Anyone ever seen Stone? So bad it's good and worth a watch just for the Zeds

Stone_Film-1974-cover.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. David Cooper

Subscriber

Not a film but a TV docu series, The Repair Shop on the BBC,although I'm not a big fan of the BBC,I found this program about restoring family heirlooms both fascinating and emotional, the skill of the master craftsmen and craftswomen is astounding, and when the owners are reunited with there heirlooms it can bring tears to your eyes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Wasn't prepared emotionally for what happened. :mad::joy:

14. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Just watched Antman & The Wasp which was pretty good.
    Marvel don’t half make some great movies :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  15. David Cooper

Subscriber

17047.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Took my good lady to see Shazam last weekend, hmm, yes, good effects etc but bit of a tired storyline and not as many chuckles as I thought there'd be.

17. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Mary Queen of Scots, great history lesson of two strong women being manipulated by men. Was well done

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Have to disagree, of all the Marvel films this has to be near the bottom, with Ironman 2.:(
    Storyline predicable, humour of first film missing. I loved the first one, made a nice change from all seriousness, but this one was just a bit lame:confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Just finished watching this and it's brilliant. 2014 film "The Equaliser" with Denzel Washington.

Really worth searching out imo !!!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Just back from the cinema to see "Long Shot," better than anticipated with a few laugh out load moments.

• Like Like x 1