Last film you watched.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by OnlySon, Sep 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Hereditary

Don't believe the hype. I was so looking forward to this, as so pleased when I saw it was free on Amazon prime. Then I spent two hours waiting to be scared. One little jump, and that was it. The use of the thumping base track to ramp up the tension was almost continual,so lost its effect soon.
    Really wanted to enjoy this film after all the hype and excellent trailer. But that's all it was - hype. Not sure how it got such a good rating on IMDB, but guess you can buy these things (isn't IMDb owned by Amazon now ???)
    Avoid. Want scary, watch hill house haunted on Netflix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    "BLACK MASS"

I watched this on a (used) DVD I picked up some months ago then promptly forgot all about (it's me age, dearie .....) until a couple of nights ago. It's a movie released in 2016 though not one I recall as making any serious headlines.

Johnny DEPP plays the lead character in this factually based story about an American-Irish gangster in Boston ("BOHR-STUHN") Massachusetts, named James "Whitey" Bulger who headed the Winter Hill gang through the 70's, 80's and early 90's. The story is not a particularly pleasant one and casts a dark, subliminal shadow over both sides of the law as Bulger enjoyed a level of freedom and immunity afforded by his 'co-operation' with the FBI.

The film is a long one at about 2 hours and, though engaging throughout, isn't exactly a fast-paced romp through the life story of a man, his family, his gang, its acitivities and his lifestyle. DEPP has clearly worked very hard to immerse himself in the character he portrays - not just in the prosthetics and appearance - and his performance is as far away from the whimsy of his "Jack Sparrow" personna as it might be possible to get, but the production's timeline shifts, and character "interviews" seem, at times, more disruptive than instructive to the overall plot and product. Benedict Cumberbach also puts in a good performance as the good sibling foil to Whitey's 'dark side' character.

A good film, not a great film, and definitely worth a watch if you've got a couple of hours on an otherwise quiet evening in. I think it may be available on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Nae pasaran

The story of how a bunch of Scottish workers at Rolls Royce pissed off General Pinochet when he had that wee coup down in Chile.

The Chilean military had hawker hunter jets used to bomb and kill the Chilean government. So when the engines came to Scotland for servicing, the trades unions ''blacked' them because of the abuse of fellow brothers in Chile.

Very interesting. General Pinochet was not impressed. :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    Top Gun, introduced my young fiancée to the film that made me love jets, motorbikes and power ballads

• Like Like x 1
  5. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

The Favourite, how this film won Oscars is beyond me, It' just arty farty upper class shite.

6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You were not keen, were you David ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Ready player one, not a great but very watchable

8. David Cooper

Subscriber

Stan and Ollie, brilliant acting and a very good film.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Just watched Polar. A good watch, quite bloody, lots of shooting and stuff but the best bit for Lagertha fans (Vikings) is that Katheryn Winnick plays a substantial role and is her usual stunning self.

10. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Just watched "What happened to Monday" on Netflix. Noomi Rapace plays seven siblings (septuplets) hiding in a society that only allows one child per family.

Won't tell y'all too much, but good plot, lots of violence, and a bit of a twisty bit at the end. I'll give it 8/10.

11. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    The Mrs and I watched Winchester the other night. Good flick, if you enjoy the paranormal type of film!

12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I live in Winchester, what have I missed? :D

13. David Cooper

Subscriber

I think he means this one.

14. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Trailer looks good - though I don't have much time for Purefoy (too much 'method' and not enough acting!) - I take it it's on cinema release?

15. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

If you love off the wall, intriguing thrillers... if you loved the film Fargo... then watch the Netflix Fargo series they are really good! I’m on the third in the series and it’s brilliant... well filmed, great story with twists, fantastic acting... slow but purposeful, to be enjoyed like a fine scotch (or Irish if your preferred initials are DD), not necked like cheap larger! If you only watch one, watch series 3

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #556 sprintdave, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Sorry to post this here as not a film but just watched on catch up a programme on itv about fraud and how do they steal from your bank account.
    A couple of the guys they caught have been done before, why don't we just tattoo on their face that they are thieves, perhaps they wouldn't find it so easy to scam us then. Oh they are all either b.... b....... too or foreign nationals, ie Moldovian. The sooner we close our borders the better. Grrrrrr
    Guess this post will be deleted but feel the need to vent....

• Like Like x 4
  17. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    #557 GaleForceEight, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    What did the Romans do for us?

Punishment for theft was to be branded on the forehead with the letters "FUR", from the Latin word for thief which was "fure". I remember reading a book called “With the Eagles” when I was 8 or 9 years old about a Gaul who served with the Legions - it was what we these days would term as a ‘historical novel’ but it was very well researched and had footnotes explaining the terminology as it went along. For example when some roman soldiers were gambling with dice it explained the different types of dice and games they played, and one cheater was called a ‘Three letter man’ (or ’Furcifer’ - someone who had been branded with FUR, and the whole branding thing was explained).

You’d be damned careful in any dealings with someone with that on their forehead.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Watched The Mule yesterday another by Clint Eastwood similar vein as Gran Torino...quite good though has the usual quiet mature toughness that Eastwood likes to portray now hes in his twilight.

• Like Like x 4
  19. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Another rainy day, good time for a movie. I watched Hacksaw Ridge, World War II flick. It was rated 4 Stars, but I would have to score it a 5! Amazing story and it even has interviews with some of the survivors at the end. I'm a student of history and a s
    ucker for this time period and the war!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    If I had to choose one of the three it'd be the first - both Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton are brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I just hung off David Thewlis’s performance... he seemed to lift everyone else too. But they are all good

• Agree Agree x 1