Just about to retire and claim my life back....

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Chris jones, Aug 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    IMG_0137.JPG

Thought I would update "getting my life back".
    As I bought the bike from David @ Jack Lilley.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Great looking steed, enjoy......

3. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    When I sent the pics of three choices , , you didn't have to pick the excact one I sent :D

4. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    cant get all this to link sorry....

So that was last October.

Mods done so far,
    Cut down and respray black front and rear mudguards.
    Relocate rectifier and ignition switch.
    Bates style rear light and Montone indicators.
    Short number plate.
    Evotech sump guard and oil cooler grill (not in pic).
    Biltwell tracker bars (not in pic).
    Triumph oil filler plug (not in pic).

Now looking to change stock exhaust for something more sporty, apparently Montone are working on a system.....

6. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    Hay Wayne,

Thanks for your advice back at the end of the summer.

7. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    No problem Chris. Looks like you got yourself a lovely bike. Well done .

8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Chris and lovely bike. You're really getting into this aren't you? Modding the bike like a man possessed !!!

Re exhausts can I suggest you look at what is available via TEC bike parts. I had one of their 2 into 1 set-ups and the quality and value were both very high.

http://shop.tecbikeparts.com/t/exhausts

I bought lots of their products for my T100 and found them really good people to do business with.

9. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    Hay Dave,

Thanks for the link.

Have looked at the TEC 2 2 shorty which could be an option although they are out of stock at the mo.
    I would however prefer something that flows in a straight line following along from the front pipes, is short and does not have bulbous cans hanging on the end.
    I could even be persuaded to go for slash cuts similar to the Harley pipes you see around.
    The TEC system is short but flicks up towards the seat.

Have been scouring the net for a system but nothing pops up. I may have to get one made, Mike the pipe was the man over here for that type of stuff but has now sadly passed on to the great pipe bender in the sky.

Will keep searching.

Jonesie

10. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    A very warm welcome to you Chris. I am sure you will find what you are looking for. This a great forum with knowledgeable people with good advice. All the best buddy :)

11. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    Hay Ade,

Well it hasn't changed my life all that much yet I have done of few short 25 miler runs which has certainly opened my eyes to the idiots on four wheels...
    Things were not brilliant back in the late 80's but my god people are just so pushy and thoughtless, round here at any rate.

Remembering the old think once,think twice, think bike it's almost think once, they surely are not going to pull out?
    Think twice not the one behind as well?
    Think thrice they do not even care...

I do love just going out early doors though and letting it all flow out..
    Would love to be wired for sound but think that's a bit dangerous.
    I am chuffed I got the bonnie and look forward to a couple of trips to the coast soon.

Jonesie

12. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Nice looking bike and I like the mods.
    I would fit fork gaiters as well

13. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    Hi Mick I have got a set ready but not sure if I am going to fit them.
    I am not 100% sold on them, I appreciate they protect the stantions but I will keep the bike clean and intend only to ride in good dryish weather.

I am also, when I can sneak them in going to get some Motone headlamp brackets and loose the elephants ears triumph fit.

Will see what it all looks like then and possibly slip the boots on.

14. Chris jones

Chris jones Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ascot
    IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0332.JPG Pics of the Tracker bars and EvoTech sump guard and grill

• Like Like x 2
  15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I fitted the gaiters to my Bonnie as I think the plastic stone guards look hideous.
    Totally agree with you on the elephants ears, practical but no style whatsoever.
    The sump guard looks great.
    Are you going to lose the OEM mirrors and fit bar end ?
    My next job is to fit some tank knee pads, just haven't made my mind up which style to choose yet.

16. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Oh and by the way Chris you may want to change the OEM suspension sooner than later, it is far too hard if you are an average weight solo rider.

17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hmm! I drive a car, more so than a bike, should I be offended here?

18. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Probably not, I have noticed numerous sweeping statements on the forum that are either written tongue in cheek or from a recent bad experience, we are all probably guilty of it.
    As for car drivers, like you I use my car, possibly 50/50 now shared with the bike and I would see myself as courteous and aware of bikers just as all the other car users who make filtering easier and allow you out first at crossroads etc.
    I do believe looking at some of the dark gear some motorcyclists wear that they are not doing themselves any favours of being easily seen.
    Call the Hi-Viz wearers naff or whatever you want but up I would rather be seen 5 miles away than risk being knocked off.

19. odysseyhal9000

Feb 9, 2017
    Earth
    Go for a 900 Thunderbird, or Leg End. You can tinker to your hearts content, and as they are from the earlier modular Hinkley line up a lot of stuff is interchangable from other models (Think Daytona, Trident, Speed Triple T309).
    My brother is currently cafe racering a Leg End. I will try an rustle up some photos ;)

20. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    That does have clean lines, very nice!
    The absence of the pig ugly rectifier makes a real difference to the appearance of the bike, where have you re-located it to Jonesie?
    Doesn't the thing get hot though, isn't that why it's located where it gets full cooling benefits?

Curly