Is This The End For Sat Nav's ??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bikerman, Jun 13, 2024.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @FreddyG: This happened to me while using a smartphone for navigation on a bycicle. I lost it while riding and a following car ran over it. My luck, it was a chinese ruggedized phone and had no damage afterwards. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I have seen that happen lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    If my phone gets run over by a truck then I get run over with it cos it's in my pocket o_O

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    Usually, my phone is in my pocket and I only use it if I'm lost. I rarely connect it to my helmet for music.

A few months ago, I visited a friend in a city I'm no longer familiar with, as it had been years since I was last there. I had the audio navigation connected to my helmet, but the darn thing would disconnect right when I arrived at intersections where I needed to make a turn. I ended up getting lost and had to stop multiple times in heavy traffic areas to check the map. During that time, I wished it had been mounted in a visible spot.

I have an old phone that I might just use as a dedicated GPS.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    The new Beeline with the shape of the road replacing the V shape looks like a great solution, neat and good information. I currently use an old phone with downloaded maps (if I need to I can tether to phone wifi for live information), no worries about losing it, vibration damage etc.

There is something very wholesome and enjoyable about a paper map for planning tours and trips, but I can't think of anything enjoyable about the hours I have spent with my head in an A to Z wondering where the hell I was!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Even looking momentarily at the speedo especially on spirited rides can be distracting, personally I don't want to listen to directions, phone calls or music, if planning an unfamiliar route I study the appropriate map and memorise it as best I can, I can always pull over nearer to the destination for a second look at the map. I do have a GoPro but this is activated via the left hand control that switches between modes, I don't have to look at said switch and just press it and up on the TFT screen it appears, I only activate it at the start and finish never on the move. Unfortunately there are far to many idiotic road users to be distracted. So it would not be for me, although I see the attraction in them for people. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Phil-1200

Phil-1200 New Member

May 4, 2024
    South Australia
    Wow, I'm glad I welcome in new technology, I have a Forcite helmet which is damn near soundproof, with integrated video recording and audio. Video is on constant record and audio streams all the music I could wish for at pleasant volumes, easy to adjust volumes or turn off completely, no way is it distracting, no different to having the radio on in a car. The best investment in Helmets I have ever made, and best of all, Aussie made. MK1S Smart Helmet Pack | Configure & Reserve | Forcite Helmet Systems

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. FreddyG

FreddyG New Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Miami, Fl
    Maybe like many of you there was a time when we flew, drove or ride used paper maps...(aeronautical or road) , now technology has taken us to depend on a smart phone or a GPS or any kind of guidance device to "survive" on the road. I remember once back in 1962 (I was 12) at 2am, we got lost for hours in a Sabana near The Amazon (with my parents) then the guide (a local), looked at the stars, found the Casiopea Constellation and headed North to the Camp... impressive, never forgot that episode.. so, the lesson here is.. always know we you are at, look for signs (mountains, rivers, lights, etc.) study the route first. A paper map will never let you down. PS: I do have a Smart Phone and a GPS. Have a nice ride and keep it safe.. tip. hear the bike, not music.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Aaron Brown

Aaron Brown apprentice mad reclusive genius

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    #29 Aaron Brown, Jun 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    I have a garmin above the tft on my tiger. it's there for when i get far enough off the slab and into the dirt that i really need to be able to figure out where the hell i am. Not going to give it up, because it still works even when i'm far enough out in the boondocks that my phone has *zero* signal, as long as i have a clear view of the sky.

And also the garmin is great for getting me un-lost on those days where i just set off down roads that look interesting, one after the other, until i no longer really know where i am. Then i can use the garmin to get me back to a point i recognize.

It's also super-handy that it has a weather overlay for those days when i'm out on a long-haul ride, and am skirting a storm system.

My phone stays in my top box the whole time i'm riding, but i listen to music through the cardo :)

Oh, and I *always* have a paper map and a compass with me for the area i'm riding in, because every piece of tech *can* fail, and when it does, it's usually a very inconvenient time *for* it to fail. Murphy always strikes at the most opportune moments.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Oddly enough, my TomTom has taken me on some interesting routes I would never have found. I'll go in various directions on a whim and it's usually the way back that has me following the blue line through villages and along backroads I've not found before. Not always but it depends if I set if to quickest or thrill.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1