Is This How It Ends.....?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ajc400, Sep 24, 2024.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    @ajc400 He is a smart looking Dude and that is a stern face there. I would love to know just what was he thinking

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    You were wise not to take the hire bike. They charge a fortune for them and unless a free couresy bike is part of the Ts&Cs of your policy if the other insurance company refuse to pay you can end up with the (huge) bill. As others have said don't rush into anything yet and as per the other forum if you do continue to ride think about doing some advanced training as not only will it make you a safer rider your wife will be happier too.
    Good luck

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    Only you will know when its time to pack in.

Re your accident.....always expect people to do stupid things.....we cannot rely on drivers to act well on our roads anymore....overtaking slow or fast is prob one of the most dangerous things we do on the road.

I would never try to pass somebody if the was a place they may turn into with out warning.

I have done it myself on strange roads and thought to myself dick head.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    Sorry to hear about your crash. It's happened to me. Thinking about quitting is natural. I did think about it during recovery. I personally decided to continue. It was a bit challenging at first, but for me, worth it.
    No one can tell you to bow out or continue riding. That's a very personal decision. I will say this, don't make a snap decision. Take some time, heal up, think. Winter's coming, see how you feel in the spring.
    Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. aht_six

aht_six New Member

Sep 24, 2024
    Minnesota
    I had my first motorcycle accident in May, I’m 66 now and have been lucky for a long time. I was following a small group on a rural road in Wisconsin when all of a sudden realized I was rolling down the pavement. When I landed I could see a dead Whitetail Deer also laying in the road. I never saw it coming, peeled me right off the bike at 60 mph. I was air lifted to St Paul, 7 fractured ribs, punctured lung and some road rash. This was the first time I ever spent a night in the hospital, left me thinking about many things.

As I was recovering I had thoughts of giving up motorcycles. Also, lots of non-riders and a child advising me to stop riding. However, after a couple months of healing and my bike being repaired. I purchased a new helmet and some replacement riding gear and rode my Goldwing home from the shop. I was a little apprehensive before the ride, but it felt great being back in the saddle. I still have thoughts of the dangers of riding at times, but usually not when I’m actually on the bike. I’m slowly returning to normal and even recently purchased second bike, a 2012 Tiger Explorer. I’m not ready to give up something I enjoy over an accident with wild animal.

IMG_3003.jpeg

IMG_3002.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pedro1340

Pedro1340 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2018
    .Glasgow
    Could have done without the pic of the Deer ,but glad your doing ok.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. ajc400

ajc400 Senior Member

Jun 4, 2024
    Glasgow
    Fractured ribs, punctured lung and road rash would have definitely seen me off bikes for good!! As it is, I had no real injuries, but need to decide if it is a warning about reducing vigilance and reaction time as I head for 72 years.

The deer pic doesn't affect me as my NZ grandchildren hunt, shoot and fish like all true Kiwi's!!

• Like Like x 2