Hi new and looking for some advice :)

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Adam8890, Aug 21, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DaveTheSuperVillain

DaveTheSuperVillain Active Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Takeley, Essex
    From an insurance point of view, quite a few will also give discounts for club memberships and things like MAG, BMF etc etc. Always worth asking what each company honour as it could add up to a fir old saving.

I LOVE IOW and spend loads of time out there with the fam. Earlier this year I even did a charity walk which was 106km lap of the island. Just have never managed to get over on my own, or with mates, on the bike...... :0(

• Like Like x 1
  2. Clarkey

Clarkey Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Not much I can add to the advice you have already been given just enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Adam8890

Adam8890 New Member

Aug 21, 2015
    isle of wight
    i will look into it dates comfirmed with my instructor to start are 17 18 sept thanks
    if you time it right for the weather its really nice just avoid august bank holiday its the scooter rally and theyre like ants lol

4. Adam8890

Adam8890 New Member

Aug 21, 2015
    isle of wight
    haha lets hope i dont make the same error

5. Hollom84

Hollom84 New Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Hertfordshire
    Adam welcome to the club, you're about 6months behind my own riding story; although mines a 14 plate. Loving the bike and I agree with all the 'old sweats' advising getting to know it gradually. It's a lovely ride and very exciting but when you get cocky it'll remind you just how powerful it is...

So my question is about riding position. I'm enjoying all the twisties out there but unfortunately can't always avoid the A/M roads. There's nowhere to hide on the street but am curious if a more aggressive riding position would be better. Can any roughly describe their own position, do you sit more or less upright depending on roads? I'm 6ft dead so not a giant by any means.

Thanks.

6. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    A/M Roads
    80mph or less - upright, straight back head held high (Proud Triumph owner style)
    80mph - 125mph - Arched back slightly dipped helmet
    125mph+ - Tucked in behind the screen with chin on tank

B Roads
    body position constantly changing, could be hanging off tucked in or upright all within 10 seconds, depending on braking, accelerating, cornering :)

7. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    In other words jay jay , boys will be boys ha ha ha , you didn't give a position for when you have blue lights behind you . Mine used to be two fingers and flat out. Now days it's just plodding not running from them

8. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    Blue lights - The two finger salute with the front wheel in the air (to hide the No. Plate)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I remember doing about a ton on the M25 playing with a granada comming back from the NCT bike show I had a ZZR1100 at the time. I looked in the mirror and saw the blue lights and thought it's either me or the Granada so I opened her up I got to around 160 mph before comming of the motorway braking hard to take (just about) the roundabout of the A127 and fly down the Halfway house and hide up to see what was following. All this time I was being thumped in the back by my then girlfriend who was holding on for dear life between punches. I was trying to shout to her it's the cops but at that speed I was wasting my time. I did suffer when we stopped though. I got away with speeding but not the roasting she gave me. No points but I say the granny was not as lucky.

10. Bob Woolley

Bob Woolley Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Doncaster
    You ARE a naughty boy aren't you Wayne! Still you're probably young and fearless :cool::rolleyes::p

• Like Like x 1
  11. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #31 Havit, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Young and foolish Bob. As we all were /are lol

12. Clarkey

Clarkey Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I remember I had a gsxr 750 way back and had sold it so took it out for a final blast coming back from
    Worthing and blasting down a dual carriageway I pasted a copper sitting on the hard shoulder my immediate reaction was f##k and slammed on my brakes then I thought sod that time he gets the car started I'm off
    Took the gsxr flat out to the next junction took all the back roads home and got away with it

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    I can't tell you my story as I think they're still looking for me :oops:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    You can tell us what happened "to the bloke you met down the pub" .....?

15. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    W
    What caught running or just caught

16. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #36 Havit, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Very lucky , nearly a ban ah, not nice when you get caught, me and a friend got caught doing over 120 avarage. Copper on a BMW bike caught up with us as we were saying good bye to each other at my turn off. Like your guy he was sound. His first words were , why did you stop your caught now. He told us after their was a cop car at the next roundabout waiting for us, ( well my friend anyway, I was turning off) anyway, we both drove for a living at the same place so we knew we could lose our job. We both went into work the next day To tell our boss that we could have a ban. He was not impressed and told us to contact him after the court case, when we went to court, the BMW biker cop did not turn up lucky for us , they read out his statement then asked us if we had anything to say I stood up and told them that our job was on the line if we get a ban.that I was sorry and just got carried away on a quite road and it wouldn't happen again. My friend stood up and said the same as him really and sat down ...... The three old cronies behind the bench chatted for a while and then asked if we had any holiday days at work. I told them yes a week. They chatted amongst the self again and the we were told to stand up. We excepted the worse. One of the cronies then said that as we were doing well over the speed limit and over 100 mph that they had no option but to give us a ban. He then said however as we both need our licence for work that they have decided to give us both a one weeks ban and a 120 pound fine. And just to add that if we are ever brought in front of them again they will not be as leaneant next time. When we got out of court we both gave a big sigh of relief. I phoned our boss and told him we would not be in next week as we got a week ban, he told us . Yes you will, I will get you both collected, your not getting away with a holiday. He had us in doing cleaning and making tea for everyone. We were made up. We kept our holidays still had our job and this was the best bit... When we phoned the insurance company to tell them of our ban they told us that it don't count as it has to be for at lease 2 weeks to effect our policy. Talk about luck!!!! No points too!!!

• Like Like x 1