Help I’ve Lost The End Of Syphon In Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by timboo, Oct 16, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #21 timboo, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    I didnt find one for my particular bike but i did watch this one from memory as a starting point.

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/t120-tank-removal.797849/

The most difficult part is detaching the fuel line as the clip was really tough. I’ve seen u can buy a tool not sure how effective it is.

There are a few things which i did not see mentioned which I learnt as going along.

In terms of steps I did the following

1. Bike on paddock stand
    2. Remove seat
    3. Disconnect and remove battery
    4. place several towels onto the back end of the bike so can slide the tank backwards.
    5. undo and remove single bolt fixing tank nearest the battery.
    6. slide tank slightly off its fixing at front cant remember if it was backwards or forwards but its only slightly then slide tank back around 4-5 inches onto towels whilst lifting and placing a piece of 3x2 under the front end to raise the tank for access beneath.
    7. Stop breathe for a moment and have a good look around to get an understanding of what needs disconnecting.
    8. Disconnect power cable
    9. disconnect the overflow pipe
    10. Locate fuel line connector on offside of bike not at entry to tank.
    Pull clip back. Press both sides of plug beneath which have been revealed. I think i used 2 alan keys to oress on both sides. Remove plug (this part was fiddly and took many attempts as you need to be gentle)
    11. Place work bench next to bike. Lay further towels on work bench
    12. Place tank onto work bench
    13. I needed access to the bottom of the tank so turned tank over.
    14. Unscrewed fuel pump and lifted it partially out.
    15. Re attached fuel pump but make sure breather outlet has a hise on it or is covered. When re attaching fuel pump it causes fuel to leak out of the breather as the tank is upside down.
    Once fuel pump re attached turn tank over fuel stops coming out.

Think thats about all I did.

Towels and soft wood or some other soft material to support the tank are really important to prevent damage to the underside of the tank.

Note I called triumph who gave me the correct torque for the fuel pump fixings. Think it was 5nm but i’ve slept since. The gasket can be re used.

I’m sure other people may have a different approach but this way worked for me.
    Some of my terminology may also be out re breather hose and overflow as I’m not a mechanic in fact far from it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    TB, thanks for the info; you did a great job on documenting the process in detail; I plan on copying your info to my Triumph notes:grinning:

• Thanks Thanks x 1