GREAT Bikes (not restricted to Triumph)

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sprinter, Aug 27, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Jez, wanna ride round a city with me Sunday mornings??? :D:D:D:D:eek::eek:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    You mean the big lad??? Heh heh

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Well at least the gobshite bought it. A lot of these turn out to be tyre kickers too.

4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    the VT500s were a great bike,super reliable,my mate had one for years. When he first got it he was complaining about the gear shift,he said would I take it out for a ride and see what i thought. I took it for quick 5 mile ride with him on the back and had no probs with the gears at all. I assumed it was coz he hadnt ridden a shaft drive before . I had a cb750 at the time and thought the handling of the VT was pretty good too.
    Yep the brakes were a nightmare as you say.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    No he knew, he told me but all the years of booze had wiped my memory cells
    I guess youre bound to remember if you had to go buy another 2 of em .lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Looks a nice level bit of kit but inboard brakes on that job is as good as a convertable with a roof rack!! And yes yes you hit the nerd status for spark plug sizes!! E

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I'm not sure it's great but it is interesting.

IMG_3642.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I took a picture of that bike in 2008!
    wild west trip 2008 039.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Loved my Speed Triple but there are two bikes that really stand out for me:

1981 Yamaha RD 250 LC; bought it new with everying I had saved from my first year working. After riding an FS1E this LC just blew my away, cloud of blue smoke into the power band and off it shot. Didn't know it at the time but I bought an iconic 80's stroker.

2016 Yamaha MT10. I know the looks of this bike are not to everyone's taste but this bike for me is not special because of how it looks but how it goes. I honestly believe Yamaha have created a future icon here. The reworked R1 crossplane engine is a masterpiece, 160bhp. I've never experienced acceleration like this bike gives. Even with the 'safety' electronics on this thing wheelies 1st, 2nd and 3rd past 90mph. Progressive electronic steering damper keeps things just about inline, handling is sublime.
    This thing looks like a Transformer, drinks fuel, is not very practical but I absolutely love it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Have you got one Richard? the front of the MT10 is growing on me the more i see it,saw a review of it the other night and it seems to be one of the best in it's class,wouldn't mind a go on one

11. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    In 1980 I had an FS1E and passed my test a couple of years later on a Honda C90 and went out and bought a Yamaha FZX 750, think they called them a mini V Max, I'll see if I can dig out a photo. I then moved onto a Zephyr 750. My mates had RD250/400's, GT 250's and one had a Jota, never knew where he got the money from, he was an apprentice tool maker ! I had a few years off then bought a T509 then a succession of Ducati's. This was my favourite , a 2006 Sport 1000, with a few mods ! But it was also the most uncomfortable bike I've ever owned but I loved it. Owned it for 3 years then had to get rid when I lost my job. Now back on my feet the Thruxton R is a keeper..

IMG_0045.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  12. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The bike that I've owned and in the "outstanding" category was my Honda Valkyrie.

CBR 600 front brakes; 6 individual open exhausts, backrests for rider and pillion, air suspension on the back - and the noise it made at 3am on my 50th birthday in the valley where I lived was just completely AWESOME.

DSC00009.jpg

P4210035.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  13. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Yes got it in July and done 2000 miles now. I'm quite tall and found the seating and leg position more comfortable than the 2012 Speed Triple I owned. Careful about taking a test ride, I never intended to buy one and just fancied a test ride!
    For a bike under 10K (just) its a remarkable machine.
    So far perfectly reliable.
    I'm only getting 120 miles to empty on a 17L tank 90 sees the fuel light :eek: Its the bikes only downside.

• Like Like x 2
  14. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The best bike I ever had was a Laverda RGS 1000 bought it in 1983 , sold it in 87/88. Did 70,000 klms or so, lost very few points as it was sooo fast police couldn't catch it, there was no radar speed detectors in Australia back then!! Speedo only went up to 220klm then had a marking that would have been 240klm but had no figures there! Bike did 245klms out of the crate before it was run in. Top gear was a true overdrive, it was faster in 4th gear than 5th by a good 20klmhr, I soon sorted that out, geared it down (added 2 teeth rear sprocket) threw the airbox away, jetted carbies to suit open megaphone mufflers, top speed attained a bit over 300kph !!! And it stopped on a sixpence and gave change back and loved corners . the loudest part of the engine was the three Carby bell mouths @6200rpm+ the induction noise was freaking awesome !!! It out accelerated my mates Z1000J and did it two up as against solo ! Was supposedly only 94/96hp @ rear wheel but it must have been closer to 110/120 HP and the torque was off the charts. I put my RGS up against several Laverdas in the QLD laverda club , one was a worked Corsa ! Mine won every time in every way, standing start , roll on from set speed and gear or out right top speed ! I Bought it for $6,900 plus $1300 insurance (I was only 19 almost 20yrs) I could have bought two cars for that money. But I'm glad I didn't.... Heh heh.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Suzuki X7, mildly ported, bigger carbs and expansion pipes made it quicker than RD 400's
    Suzuki 650 Katana, sold it for the deposit on me first house, questionable styling some might say.
    1988 VFR 750 FJ, is there a better sound than a vee four with a race can?
    2005 Vtec, track it, tour it, reliable as the sunrise.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Yes, it's in the Treasure Island hotel.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GuzziHero

GuzziHero Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Best bike I ever owned? I still have it, a 2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100. Id like a 1200 but it didnt come in Orange. Does everything I want it to, comfy and carries luggage, still sets a good intermediate time round Cadwell Park.

Fastest? 1989 Yamaha FZR1000R-W. Its punch for counterpunch a match for the 955i Im picking up today but I think I'd give the win to the FZR... just.

Best handling? 2003 Yamaha YZF-R6 5SL... after I crashed it and turned it into a trackbike.

Worst? 1982 Suzuki GSX400FX. In fairness to the poor thing, it was bought for £150 as a non-runner, but it wasn't worth making it roadworthy. Ended up pushing it to a scrapyard only to get £14 for it. Honorable mention goes to my first Benelli Tornado which didn't make it home from the place I bought it from before it dropped a big end.

Griso: 15-10s.jpg
    FZR: FZR1000.jpg
    R6: EGC70220_low_res.jpg
    Benelli (x2): 2nellis.jpg

15-10s.jpg

FZR1000.jpg

EGC70220_low_res.jpg

2nellis.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  18. om15

om15 Active Member

Sep 5, 2016
    dorset
    All five Triumphs special, had several Jap bikes as commuter or run arounds, two of these were also special,
    Yamaha DT175 two stroke, stationed in Cyprus 1973-75 and this was ideal light weight to whizz about on, easy to go off road and explore, later had an XT500 thumper for several years when I lived in Devon, that was good fun round the lanes.
    Also had two BSA C15s, which are great if you enjoy playing with meccano.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Honorable mention goes to my first Benelli Tornado which didn't make it home from the place I bought it from before it dropped a big end.

ouch!

20. GuzziHero

GuzziHero Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Stoke-on-Trent
    That first Benelli was from Superbike Factory in Macclesfield.

Since then I've heard horror story after horror story from there.