Engine Rattle

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by P.T., May 4, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    But if its a Triumph thing.....it only effects a minority of these models.

If they all did it.....I think that would make me feel better as its then normal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    That's the procedure I've used on every wet sump engine I've ever serviced. Pre filling the filter is not mentioned in many service manuals but is good form IMO, even on engines where the filter screws on "upside down" like on my car. Brim the filter, then pour out the excess and the drain back valve prevents it emptying completely. Most oil pumps are capable of pushing oil through an engine at 60+ psi so I can't see how an air lock would be a problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    No I thought the same.....but was willing to try in case the Triumph engine had a peculiarity of some sort.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    Hi Fabio.....you made any progress getting that rattle tapping noise fixed.

Nick in the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Well, folks, I now have 500 miles on the Bonne (don't get out much) and the top end has no clatter now; only sound now is the whirrrrrr of, I guess, a balancer (didn't know it had one). Haven't wound it past 4K - only up to it several times. Still runs like a runaway train - hold on or else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    Its after the first oil change if its going to effect you bike......not all but lots.

First oil change is normally around 500mls.

Let us know how your is.....its only on a cold start....first 2 mins.

• Like Like x 2