Featured D Day Beaches Must See

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Repooh, Jun 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    By the way, if you do make it to Pegasus Bridge, do not be tempted by the cafe. It may have been the first building to be liberated but possibly serves the worst coffee I have ever tasted! :D

p.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    To be fair, all coffee I tasted in France was shite. And served in tiny cups.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Unfortunately the cafe opposite this one posted by Steve is staffed by possibly the rudest French staff I've met. Don't think they like tourists, well us Brits anyway. Which is strange considering their location.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Yup - funny that given how much money tourism brings to that part of the world. We stayed in a lovely hotel - the owner couldn't be bothered. He closed the bar at 9pm and couldn't be arsed to even open at 8euros a pint!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    4D67DE55-3143-4762-B25E-179B044C3B8F.jpeg Well folks, long weekend in Normandy done. Saw all the places on my list, as you said moving, thought provoking and deeply emotional

In the Bayeux cemetery made me realise each headstone was a complete family line, if my father had fallen my entire family would have never existed

Weather was at times the wettest ever. Thanks for all your suggestions

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Ordered two cafe au laits at a cafe in Josselin a good few years back. They actually came in small bowls, about cereal bowl size. First and only time it happened to us, although in the 70s (with wifey no.1 - I like cake, wedding or otherwise!) coffee was served that way fairly regularly.

7. Cap City Murph

Cap City Murph Active Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Carson city nv.
    Pipers too the end

8. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yes that was always the way a cafe au lait was served in the 80s and early 90s when I’d regularly visit France. Couldn’t stand the regular coffees, far to strong and syrupy o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    My wife and i did a tour a few years ago including some of the Pow camps. The grave sites were so upsetting and sad but also uplifting knowing these men some only in their teen's believed in their countries, freedom and the and the injustice of it all. They were a totally different breed to us, to me i will never see their bravery again under those conditions. I know our fight was to concur the Germans but many millions of their soldiers were conscripted to fight even though they did not agree with their government. We must remember them as well as the other counties that sent in their troops to help us. Youngsters think it was like the films that glorify it the wars on the TV but they were nothing like what really happened. Being ex-army with many tours abroad under my belt, first being the Falklands. I will never know how they kept their courage going under those conditions with limited resources. Even seeing the reality of the first world war these men still volunteered to save us at home. These were and still are the bravest men and women the Commonwealth and America will even know.

The POW camps in Germany and Poland were eerie dead silent places. One thing that amazed us was old people who looked like they were in the 80s-90s were still placing flowers on the fences at some sites regularly. One we went to we never heard a bird tweet whilst we walked around. The area felt stagnant, no buildings were standing. One shock was on this camp was an overgrown mound that was a mass burial site. Not sure if bodies are still there but there were many nameplates placed on it. You just can't imagine the cruelty that went on at these places. Whole families wiped out just because of their religion or coming from the wrong sides of the fence. Innocents just getting on with their lives.
    To us, this was so alien. Our POW camps in England treated the German prisoners as humans feeding them well and looking after them. Many of these when released stayed in the same areas as the camps to marry locals. Many never returned home to Germany again. English immigrants like Italian, Jews and other secs were sent to the Isle of man POW camps. These were Hotels on the seafront. It was not good to be there. We never found any Russian burial sites in Germany or Poland. I do know that the Russians treated the Poles and Jews just like the Germans.

Another site we visited was at Mametz Wood where a Welsh red dragon is erected on a plinth holding a pieces of barbed wire. This is erected for the Welsh soldiers that fought in WW1. The dragon is wonderful and you can't miss it from the road. A lot of my family lost their lives here so this meant more to me. Locals are said not to go near the woods as a bugle and battlements can sometimes be heard. All i heard was the wind and rain. I must admit walking around the woods, you do get the feeling of being watched and not alone.

This wasn't the happiest holiday we've had but i will remember it for the rest of my life.
    Sorry for rambling on so long.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Truely touching mate.....

• Agree Agree x 2