Corona Virus

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Old phart phred, Mar 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    A full face helmet with the shield down will work better than the way a lot of folks seem to be wearing their masks!

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 3.26.28 PM.png

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Actually, chari1, the recommendations from medical and public health experts and scientists are pretty simple. Wear a mask in public (some add "when not able to socially distance"), socially distance, wash your hands. It's no secret and it's not rocket science. I think the "vague and ridiculous" part comes in when it's the politicians making the recommendations. :mad::sob:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, it's certainly happening in Arizona and in the U.S. unfortunately. And evidently we're still in the first wave as we never quelled the first one.

4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    The same thing happened in Arizona, DCS. Our "uptick" (nice way to phrase INCREASE) started nearly two weeks to the day when our governor lifted his stay-at-home order.

• Like Like x 2
  5. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    As today is mask day in England, how about a little survey?

No research allowed. :)

How many COVID sufferers do you think
    - there currently are in England?
    - were admitted to hospital (daily number)?
    - are currently in hospital?
    - are currently on ventilation?
    -

6. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I can tell you without looking there are 5 covid patients in my local hospital and 1 on a community ward...

And?

7. garethr

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    And nothing.

What's your guess for the whole country?

8. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I don’t care... I’m just aware that there is still active Covid in my local area and that warrants continued proactive protective measures.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    20,000?!?! That's more than NASCAR had before Covid. :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    None of us knows the truth. The government and health services are recording in their own way, differently in each country. The media is feeding off the sales of their bullshit stories. The figures are exceedingly dodgy at the very best. Joe public is supposed to be kept in the dark and in fear, in order to keep us in control.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    Just to add some perspective.

In France the average age at death from C19 was 81.3 years old. Life expectancy in France is 82.9

Dunno about you, but if I was in my 80s, I'd happily take the risk of losing a few months to enable my grandchildren to have an economic future.

yes, some younger people succumb to it, but they are outliers, you get outliers with all infectious diseases.

If you didn't know, life expectancy for Men in UK is 79.9 years

12. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Another perspective.
    There's people younger than 81.3 at risk with diabetes COPD etc, shall we cull them as well?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Avinarant

Avinarant Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Leeds
    116428056_10157666230993337_5401355660621856100_n.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 6
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #1654 Sandi T, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    What's the point of guessing, @garethr? :( That seems like caring what people's opinions are related to wearing masks, for example. I don't really care what their opinions are anymore. I care about the effectiveness of the practice based on research. I live in a country currently filled with guessers, sound bite regurgitaters, and opinion spouters--from across the political spectrum. As you can probably surmise, I'm sick and tired of it. :mad:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. garethr

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    #1655 garethr, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020

I can't speak for the US, but there is no need to guess here in the UK, the numbers are on the gov.uk website.

Firstly, I suspect that, after the relentless barrage of propaganda over the last 4 months, many, possibly most, people in England would vastly overestimate the numbers, and the risks that they face.

Secondly, I think we might have ended up with the worst of all possible options. We spent an unimaginable amount of money trying to protect those who are at least risk, while deliberately putting the elderly in harm's way and not doing enough to shield some of those who were vulnerable because of culture and/or race.

Now we have to wear "face coverings" in shops when the chances of even encountering an infected person are minimal, primarily, it seems to me, so that the government can tell any future inquiry that "We did the same as Nicola Sturgeon.".

Instead of the propaganda, just give us the facts, explain the true extent of the risks and exactly who needs to be protected, and let us make up our own minds.

Incidentally
    The Office of National Statistics (ONS) estimates that 1 in 2300 people in England has the virus.
    (Of course, on the day before face covering day, the ONS also said that the "proportion of adults wearing a face covering when leaving the home increased from 61% to 71%", which was so far from reality that it's beyond satire.)

According to the gov.uk website
    Friday 24 July 2020
    Number of COVID-19 patients admitted to hospital, reported on Wednesday, 22 July 2020 - 40
    Number of COVID-19 patients currently in hospital, reported on Friday, 24 July 2020 - 928
    Number of COVID-19 patients currently in mechanical ventilation beds, reported on Friday, 24 July 2020 - 92
    The population of England is 56 million(ish).

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/cases

This is a motorcycle forum. We ride motorcycles. Which do you think represents the greater risk to your continued existence, your Triumph or COVID-19?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  16. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    On the 24th July your right the odds are death by bike, unfortunately the Covid 19 statistic is variable depending on adherence to prevention procedures

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    The stats are encouraging, but that can change very quickly if we do not continue to practice social distancing ....... We need to get through this winter before we can start to feel safe from this virus.....

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  18. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

you quote these figures with gay abandonment, but you are the otherside of a peak that was happening during some extraordinary proactive action. We cannot speculate just how bad it might have been if ventator capacity hadn’t been increased, if social distancing and shielding hadn’t been enforced... the only Speculative bollox I’ll listen to is what might have happened if we’d been more proactive earlier... then we might not of had to borrow so much money to pull the country through... but saying there’s “a few outliers”... Jesus Christ, we still don’t know the long term health issues with this beast... there are health care workers who suffered this disease and some died... because they were trying to cope with a global health crisis... tell me that Simon Guest was just collateral fucking damage.

• Agree Agree x 8
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber