Corona Virus

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Old phart phred, Mar 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @DCS222. I appreciate the clarification and edit. Who did this come from, do you know?

• Like Like x 1
  2. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I got it from another health care professional, but I didn’t check her source. But the “virus in the system” part was true and it struck a chord... but I should have checked it out prior to posting.

digging deeper- Amy Wright, of Asheville, North Carolina, was the post’s original author (apparently)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I noticed that bus drivers don’t seem to be wearing masks, on the few I’ve seen in passing. Are they not required to, like the passengers? :confused:

4. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    On the other hand...

VE day parties - second wave! Never happened.

Beaches - second wave! Never happened.

Demonstrations - second wave! Never happened.

Lockdown relaxed - second wave! Doesn't seem to be happening.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Seems clear to me. Go on public transport, wear a mask. Go into a shop from tomorrow, wear a mask. What is there not to understand...... even people with "two grains of sand" between their ears should be able to undderstand this.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  6. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

In this country we have taken a huge defensive strategy that drastically reduced personal interactions... the above events are relatively small scale considering the population and the amount of restrictions still in place (even then we have had peaks on our downward trend) and small scale outbreaks have a chance of being controlled... however, if as a country we become complacent and drop the guard... we are at risk of increasing potential personal interactions that are of a higher risk of transmission.

Second waves are happening, look at Israel

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

An example of the one of the biggest peaks we’ve had is shown below on the graph... the date is the 27th May... it may just be coincidence that restrictive measures were lifted 2 weeks earlier and people were encouraged back to work, who knows?

D635958D-079E-41A3-9F99-60F2907BC249.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    It is encouraging the trend is still downwards, long may it continue :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. garethr

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    The government and the media set out to scare us silly so that we would accept whatever previously unthinkable laws they decided to introduce. I guess it worked.

The official figures
    Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK >>>> https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/#category=regions&map=rate

There's a beta site - https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk that links to this interactive map. Zoom in & click on your area.
    Coronavirus (COVID-19) positive cases by Middle Super Output Area (MSOA) in England
    https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=47574f7a6e454dc6a42c5f6912ed7076

Office for National Statistics (ONS)
    Latest data and analysis on coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK and its effect on the economy and society.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey pilot: England, 17 July 2020
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...covid19infectionsurveypilot/england17july2020

We estimate around 1 in 2,300 individuals within the community population in England had COVID-19 within the most recent week, from 6 July to 12 July 2020.
    During the most recent week (6 July to 12 July), we estimate there were around two new COVID-19 infections for every 10,000 individuals in the community population in England.

10. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #1630 Judd Dredd, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021

• Like Like x 3
  11. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #1631 Wire-Wheels, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Thankfully, my wife and I are members of a worldwide religious organization that sounded the alarm on this quite early. There was rumblings we had a problem in late February. At that time we were advised to avoid embracing one another or shaking hands. By March 13, all our meeting places were closed and we went online. So, for MYSELF...when THEY tell me it is safe again, we will resume our normal activity. Not until. Following the lead of.the.political community is like the scripture.that says "when a blind man leads a blind man, they BOTH fall in to a ditch."All the political leaders are only there for thier own interests. ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #1632 Judd Dredd, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021

13. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Depends how close your focal radius is I guess

14. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
  15. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Is it just me or does anyone else find it strange that you have to wear a mask to enter a bank?

• Funny Funny x 7
  16. garethr

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    #1636 garethr, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  17. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Wife just got.home from the bank [wearing her mask] and found a delivery person unloading groceries in her parking.space. "You don't mind if I leave.these here"? Actually...No I don't mind, but we did not order anything. A 5 digit address is.not.that hard to read. ...J.D.

18. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    A few years back I used to ride my.bike to the corner liquor store on Sunday morning to buy the Sunday newpaper. I started getting "a rash" from the middle-eastern store owner for wearing my helmet for the 15 seconds it took to purchase a paper. Then, half the time all the coupons were taken out of the paper. Next...I quit reading the Sunday paper. Problem solved. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. garethr

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    "A covering of any type which covers a person’s nose and mouth" sounds like a full-face helmet to me!

:)

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yep, lots of businesses and services post or send out an e-mail about all of the safety precautions they are taking but then you see it in person and it's like....WTF?!?! And I always love it (said with sarcasm) when a place brags about "hand sanitizing stations" like that's going to really help. Geez......

Check out this NASCAR "gathering".

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 3.17.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 3.17.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 3.17.03 PM.png