Corona Virus

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Old phart phred, Mar 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    "Money talks principles walk" its now guided by money not the risk factor

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    It would appear that "common sense" is not common at all these days. :(

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    We shouldn’t need it to be made compulsory, people should have the common sense to protect themselves and everyone around them as much as they can. Unfortunately, sense isn’t common. :confused:
    I sometimes feel a bit sorry for Boris and his government. They try to control the virus, and at the same time not control the electorate too much for fear of being berated for being too dictatorial. Whatever they do there’s always those who’ll moan about it.
    I personally think that whatever they impose it’ll be a waste of time because most people seem to have given up abiding by the guidelines and are going about their business as if the virus has been beaten and there’s nothing to worry about anymore. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I will freely admit, I have it pretty easy. Those that must make a living have to struggle with what to do. At the same time many are just suddenly without a job. I know two black women. One is a barista at Starbucks. Her sister is a hairdresser. Both tell me they have problems at work with people just flatly REFUSING to wear a mask. People just have no respect for the lives of others. My sweet wife has to do all the shopping because I have some serious underlying medical problems. She goes when we figure the stores are the least crowded. She wears her mask and brings everything home and wipes it down in the laundy room between the garage and kitchen. We have started up a second refrigerator in the garage so she does not have to go so often and be exposed. We started a vegetable garden this year. It may not produce much this season, but we do not know how long this will last. We are in for the long haul. The only face to face meet up I have had is one of the elders from our congregation. He has come by twice to bring by some necessary paperwork. We meet out on my sidewalk, wearing masks. We have been friends for over 60 years. Be mindful people. Be respectful of the well being of others. PLEASE ! ...J.D.

• Like Like x 8
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Ditto to that....

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    imo it does not matter what the government do some folk will think they are a bunch of wankers.

• Agree Agree x 10
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #1567 Sandi T, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    @half ton
    I'm circling back around to a couple of weeks ago in this thread even though a bit off topic. You'll see why with my next post here after this one. (Actually, I think that sugary and fatty snacks are a necessity during the COVID pandemic.)

@half ton, I liked your description of how to "Scottify" Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Bars. :joy: That's a food prep method common State Fairs here in the U.S. Check out this article for some of the more "unique" fried foods seen at state fairs around the country. Some of the foods include butter, pigs ears, beer, and here in good ol' Arizona--scorpions. :p :eek:

https://kitchenette.jezebel.com/the-most-ridiculous-deep-fried-foods-from-state-fairs-a-1572769682

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 1.40.42 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona

Well, @DCS222, I think that your description of the flavors and mouth feel of Tunnocks was spot on! Thanks to a Forum Good Fairy (maybe better termed Forum Secret Santa on this forum) Mr. Sandi and I received a package of Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Bars in the mail direct from the UK. The good news is--I love them! The bad news is--I love them! :heart: Kit Kats have long been a favorite of mine but I definitely prefer the Tunnocks for their texture and for that gooey yummy caramel. :blush::yum I wonder if any company offers a monthly subscription sort of like a Wine or Beer of the Month Club?

In true @dilligaf fashion, you'll have to guess who the Secret Santa is. ;):cool:

IMG_9022.jpeg

They made the trip all the way across the pond and through the heat very well!
    IMG_9034.jpeg

More than 6 million every week?? Wow! But now I can see why...I could make quite a dent in that weekly number all by myself. :yum
    IMG_9040.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Secret Santa??:confused:
    First name Joe???:rolleyes: Perhaps?

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Nope. ;)

11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Dcs??

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    When it comes to food, I have been thriving during this lock down. instead of buying all the store bought snacks, the wife has reverted back to our days when we were broke and had to do it our selves. She is baking bread. She has some great cookies on the menu. I have started eating less high end cuts of meat [that stuff is getting expensive]. As stated earlier we are doing a garden this year, but haven't got any produce from it just yet. We seem.to be pretty healthy except for the long standing problems I have had for years. My blood pressure is even better. :) ...J.D.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Nope. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Sounds like the sort of thing @Dozers Dad would do, he’s a nice fella really :grinning:

• Like Like x 3
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  15. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    We've also eaten much healthier since the beginning of the lockdown, lots of fresh fruit, veg and fish, every meal cooked from scratch. Being off work made that easy for us and I certainly felt healthier for it but now the cafe's are opening we're slipping into old habits of eating out half the week...and I like me chips...not good! :(

I wish we had room for a veggie patch, when I was a kid Dad had a huge garden and grew a large variety of fruit and veg. Everything except the meat on our Sunday dinner came from our own garden. Sadly it's the kind of thing you don't see much of anymore.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’ve just put up a greenhouse for Mrs Freck as she likes to grow fruit and veg, so we’ll hopefully be having home grown stuff soon, including strawberries :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 4
  17. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    You can't beat the taste of homegrown stuff, my Mum always grew strawberries, even after Dad died and she turned the garden into a flower garden, there was always a corner where she had her strawberries with straw packed under each plant, I think that was to keep the slugs off.

Is she going to do Tomatoes? Can't beat the taste of a Tomato from your own greenhouse. I wish I had my Dad's skills, he was a gardener by profession and tried to pass his knowledge onto me but I was wasn't really interested, something I really regret now :confused:

• Like Like x 8
  18. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yes, there’s tomatoes in there already along with lettuce, courgettes, peas and some herbs. :)
    She tells me that the straw under the strawberry plants is to stop them spoiling as they don’t like to be on wet soil.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    What time do you want us round? :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK