Corona Virus

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Old phart phred, Mar 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 4.38.25 PM.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    How any solution involving kids is going to work Sandi, I don’t have a clue:( I suspect we’ll end up ducking the issue and tell everyone to carry on working from home until this blows over - luckily for us the WFH has worked well and hasn’t harmed our business
    I have heard that a lot of the businesses in Canary Wharf (bank head offices etc) have told their staff they won’t return to the office until next year:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  3. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    I agree with that @Smilinjack im going in again today to see how we could arrange the seating to comply with the 1 metre rule, and to be honest it’s like a huge Chinese puzzle:)
    I just can’t see how it can possibly be done outside of making sure people come in, sit down, and don’t move:p so 2 metres there’d be no chance:confused:
    Kitchen area has to be a no go zone!
    More importantly how can anyone possibly use the toilet? And yes the toilet is the one I’m losing sleep over:mask:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I agree with you completely about current changes related to COVID are not being driven by science or medicine, @Smilinjack. In fact, in our country, the current administration does and says things that are at odds with both. Science and medical advisors are ignored or refuted or replaced. And the most basic scientific and medical recommendations are simple really--physically distance, wear a mask, wash your hand and keep them away from your face.

But...yesterday there was a presidential election rally in Phoenix just up the road from Tucson less than a hundred miles. It was at a mega church (indoors) and about 3,000 were in attendance standing shoulder to shoulder, very few of whom wore masks Trump included. This occurred just two days after the Phoenix City Council put a mask/face covering requirement into place for businesses and citizens because of the surge in cases and a looming hospital bed/ICU shortage. So right on heels of this new mask requirement, neither our Arizona governor (after being tasked with responsibility by the feds) nor the Phoenix mayor (after a handoff of the responsibility by the governor) had the cojones to require masks and social distancing for this event or to cancel it under the current circumstances. I'm afraid that this public health crisis that is crushing both our economy and lives has been turned into a political opportunity for some at the expense of many.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #1485 Wire-Wheels, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    If you are looking to politicians for some intelligent direction on subjects like this you are a fool. Sorry to be so blunt, but you pretty much have to look out for your own well being. In the working world it was my experience that you also had to be your own advocate. Businesses want only what is for thier own benefit. There were times when working as a maintenance engineer I would have to tell an employeer "I am not going to do that". I found the best way was to man up and say no without going to a union. even though I was a union member, I found it better to carry the burden yourself. I was once fired for doing this, only to be reinstated [ with full back pay] when I presented the situaltion to the state disability dept. to get my benefits. As for kids ? If my kids were still of school age they would NOT be going back to school this year. I know my grandkids are not. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    This has to be one of the most useless Corona Virus signs I’ve seen - these stairs are about 2 foot 6 wide!!

A5B83EDC-DC81-4B88-AE9E-412B73BB410A.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    #1487 OldNick, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    We resolved the returning to work puzzle today:)
    Things were going well until commenting how nice it was on a hot day to have air conditioning, AIR CONDITIONING f#ck that just made all the partitioning and segregation planning pointless:confused:
    So we decided to stay at home and review again at the end of July:laughing:
    Any challenge easily overcome by sitting down and do nothing:cool:

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I raised the question of air conditioning when my work were planning the return to work of a small number of essential workers who couldn’t work from home (including me) and was told that a risk assessment of the workplace has been carried out and distancing and hygiene measures had been implemented to adhere to government guidelines. :rolleyes:
    No answer to my question. I was just told that it had all been assessed and ratified by the Unions and Health & Safety dept. for us to return. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  9. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    The HSE view

https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/equipment-and-machinery/air-conditioning-and-ventilation.htm

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
  11. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Did almost 30 years in office building maintenance. The subject of distancing in the workplace gets to be a mute point in an air conditioned space. You ALWAYS share the air you breathe. You always get the office "bone head" that wants HIS OFFICE to have the thermostat. What he fails to realize [ or is talking too loud to hear what the engineer is trying to tell him] is all the air is returned to a central filter bank and recylced, hopefully with some makeup air from the outside to raise the oxygen level. WHAT social distancing ? ;) ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  12. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yes that was my concern. From the work I’d done in the past with HVAC engineers, I was led to believe that Air conditioning systems only draw in approximately 8 to 10% fresh outside air.

13. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #1493 Wire-Wheels, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    The standard here USED to be 10%. They have raised that a bit, but being retired, I am not up on the current air quality standards. It is a catch-22 situation. The more makeup air you take in, the more air that you paid DEARLY to cool has to be wasted to the outside. The building will only hold SO MUCH air volume. This becomes a political football in office buildings. Example is a building I worked for a little over six years [see photo]. You have TWO air handler systems for [if I remember correctly] 1.7 million square feet of office space. You really share your air with everyone. ...J.D.

240px-One_Cal_Plaza.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Streetgirl675

Streetgirl675 ...otherwise known as Streetgirl765

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    Made me want one now! :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    My tax dollars hard at work........ :sob::sob::sob:

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 10.33.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 2.24.53 PM.png

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yep. :mad::mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    The fact is Covid will be with us, and was with us for a long time. How to respond? WHO hasn't a clue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1