Corona Virus

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Old phart phred, Mar 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Are any of you in the UK going to be in this study?! This was in our Tucson daily newspaper this morning.

IMG_8422.jpeg

2. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

#1322 DCS222, May 25, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2020
    Just thought I’d check back on the Twitter feed from 10 Downing Street to check if it was advice or instruction to not travel to see friends or family... these are from the 2 days before the Dom’s road trip!
    Says it all.. the rules are for plebs only!

01243874-C7BB-4C72-8606-2FA5CE84E8C8.jpeg

7179B111-6318-4899-8031-7C04FD4851F6.jpeg

616804AF-3DBE-4AC4-8A43-6833707B6DFD.jpeg

14F3FA1B-C170-4582-825C-77072FD4A4D9.jpeg

154A3B29-A1D9-486D-9586-EF82E5E8F390.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    #1323 Dave49, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Nevertheless, we have been assured that Mr Cummings acted 'legally, responsibly and with integrity'.

Laughter.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    My view is he may be able to give a poor justification that sounds like he kept within the rules, but we all know he took the piss.

But could I see myself doing the same in the same circumstances?

Did I or others I know stretch the rules in a similar way at any time?

I just don't see this as that important - usual media storm with those contributing taking completely predictable sides.

Not saying DC isn't a wankstain, but this incident doesn't prove it.

DS

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    The media are after his scalp because of Brexit, if the media win then that's not a good thing impo.

Where we the media when Stephen Kinnock broke the lockdown? in that instance the police were criticised for being over zealous.

6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Whilst I think he has been a complete prat, how many can say that they have not bent the rules in the past eight weeks. I'm fed up with the whole story, there are more important things to worry about......

• Agree Agree x 8
  7. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    Obviously some of us on here are left-leaning, some are right-leaning, and some are neither, and our views on this issue will be affected by our own politics. But attacking the press for exposing the wrong-doing doesn't excuse what Cummings has done. Of course other politicians have broken the rules, but they (including Stephen Kinnock) were all well roasted in the press for it. The key difference is that Cummings is at the heart of the government which wrote the rules which the rest of us are expected to obey. Even the very right wing (and very pro-Brexit) Daily Mail can see the difference, and is demanding his resignation, as are growing numbers of Conservative MPs, reflecting the anger of their constituents. Other public officials were forced to resign for lesser breaches. Johnson has done his own standing massive harm by trying to brazen it out.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Cummings should be treated with the same sword he uses on his opponents...
    but just remember that all parties have arrogance near their core!

9. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    widely mooted that cummings was against the lockdown and was behind Prof Whitty's original herd immunity plan, but as he doesn't make his advice public we don't know either way.

All this fuss over one person.

Let's not forget airports stayed open with 15,000 unchecked people entering the country every day!

10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    More UK news in our little ol' Tucson daily newspaper this morning. Looks like Mr. Cummings has even made the news here. :rolleyes:

IMG_8466.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    Letting the airports stay open was indeed a very bad decision by the government. And who was the government's key adviser?

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    do you attack the fool or the person that follows the fool?

We don't know what cummings advised, and he's not the only advisor, he's not even elected, he's just an employee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Well this is taken from governments own website it was put up on 22nd March and remains in place...

"Who this guidance is for
    This guidance is for people planning to visit second homes or holiday premises during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People must remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk.

People with holiday homes and caravans are still not permitted to travel to their second home or to stay overnight. Leaving your home - the place you live - to stay at another home is not allowed."

Should say at the bottom...
    "Who this guidance is not for, Dominic Feckin Cummings"

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    Guidance was so confused we could pass quotes back and forth all day ..

upload_2020-5-25_17-58-46.png

If the media and so many politicians hate him so much, then he must of been doing something right :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Look I’m no Brexit fan, and I think the government’s handling of the Covid-19 crisis has been a shambles. As one of many examples, if quarantining people who come into the country is either necessary or sensible - and by this point it probably isn’t - then FFS why wait ‘til 8th June?.

But I think this has been blown up out of all proportion, and the press should drop it and move on.

He himself hasn’t been “up-front” urging us all to stay at home, but his excuse (and it is probably a bit elaborated and certainly very carefully worked out) is, nonetheless, just about on the limit.

I’m more interested in running this thing better going forwards.

• Like Like x 3
  16. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Must be a slow news day in Tucson Sandi:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    For me that’s the problem an unelected advisor is running things, then doesn’t follow the rules because he thinks he’s a special case, shows no remorse or acceptance that his actions are unacceptable, then makes a pathetically unbelievable excuse for driving another 60 miles - all the time the rest of us were cooped up doing as we were asked to save the NHS - if he had a shred of decency he’d resign and if Boris were at all Churchillian he’d have sacked him on the spot
    This is of course the wrong time for this to come up while there is an unprecedented pandemic to deal with, but that shouldn’t mean this gets swept under the carpet to avoid a scene, it should never have happened in the first place and should have been dealt with quickly and decisively ... if we had a proper leader

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Most days--other than Coronavirus stories and stats--seem to be slow news days lately, @OldNick. :rolleyes: And the news that is in the paper seems to somehow be either directly or indirectly related to or a consequence of the pandemic and shut-downs. In the Sports section, for example, the reporters are pulling out stories from years past to "pad the pages". Interesting articles some of them, but not really news.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Having endured broadcast news over the period of this pandemic lockdown and the numerous reports and interviews done from home and remote locations there is one stand out for me. It has absolutely highlighted the shockingly poor phone and internet infrastructure around the whole of the UK :mad::mad:
    Interviews where you catch one in three words, frozen screens, signal dropping out : unamused:: unamused:
    First world problems maybe but we pay all the different providers a huge amount of money every month, the technology is out there for a trouble free national network and yet we are still suffering shoddy networks and connections :triumph::triumph:
    Really fecks me off :confounded::confounded:
    Possibly should be in Rant of the Day but hey ho :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    That's a very optimistic view given that it is only confirmed cases.
    Given that we're doing low levels of testing compared to some other countries, the true figure could be many times that number. I'm not saying it is but, unless everyone is tested, you can't tell, only guess.