Corona Virus

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Old phart phred, Mar 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Apparently he did

2. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    You can tell I'm bored should be 2500cc - I hate this phone.....:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Barack Obama followed the same path, as does the main character in The Fly!

When I first heard this, I thought what a good idea it was so only ever wear a black suit and a white shirt for work.

DS

• Like Like x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Feckin hell I must be a genius as well :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    The few countries that have been successful are going to face a dilemma as the rest of the world has failed to contain the virus. It looks like becoming endemic to humans. So do these countries remain isolated or accept that they too will have to gain herd immunity?

6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Aaah yes! But to select from the right or the left of the closet , that’s the dilemma!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hi, Angus. Thank you for the update on your mom. It seems that at least the medical professionals now know what things are causing her health problems so hopefully they can address them effectively. While I'm glad that you can speak to the doctor, I'm sure it's very difficult to not be able to see you mom. I'll continue keeping her in my prayers.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agreed.....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi Sandi, yes it’s quite difficult especially for her not being able to see us. But its in her best interest and she understands. Thank you for the kind words, it means a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    There are idiots everywhere......

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I have had a couple of drinks so that might explain the departure from my normal amiable self, but I'd quite like to kick that twat in the bollocks with my bike boots on. Is it just me? :D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    96721770_278477389984021_6266330419843563520_n.jpg

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    BMJ now recommend taking Vit D as a preventative treatment for Covid-19 especially for those with dark skin, but really we all should.

You'll need to skip to 12:00

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    I read this week that government advisers are still talking about the possibility of 'shielding' the over-70s for months after the lockdown is eased for the rest. Apparently we should be kept at home with no contact 'apart from carers and close family members'. Carers indeed!!! May be just kite-flying to gauge reaction, in which case my reaction is a short phrase ending in 'off'. When eyeryone else is allowed out on their bikes again, I fully intend to be out with the rest. I'll still be very careful about social distancing, but I'm damned if I'm going to stay under house arrest because of my age. Don't they know that 70 is the new 50?

To illustrate my point, last Sunday we were going in after a day's work in the garden when my wife heard a sheep on the edge of the merse (tidal salt-marsh to my English readers) ,calling for a lost lamb. There seemed to be a faint answering bleat, but it was getting too dark to investigate. The next morning, I was woken by the phone. My wife, bless her, is a real animal-lover, and had got up early and gone out looking for the lost lamb. She was out on the merse and had found the lamb, guided by its muffled bleating. It was down a hole and my presence was urgently requested (I'm sure you can fill in the exact words yourself). I put on jeans, jumper and a pair of old motorbike boots, climbed over the fence, scrambled down the bank, and headed off across the merse.

The lamb was down a hole alright. The merse is criss-crossed with tidal creeks and gullies. On really high tides, it can be completely under water. The lamb had fallen down a deep gully about 4 feet deep and no more than 18 inches wide. Its legs had sunk into the soft mud at the bottom and it was stuck fast.

I tried to phone the farmer, but got no answer, so the rescue was down to us. My wife went back to the house and got a spade. I carved out the overhanging sides of the gully, catching the sods of turf so that they didn't fall on the lamb and bury it. There was no way I could lift it from above, so I dug the hole bigger still so that I could get down there myself. With great difficulty, I pulled its front legs free one at a time, but they immediately sank back into the soft mud, so I got the turf sods I had cut, and placed them under its feet as I got them free, to give it a firmer footing. I did the same, one at a time, with its back legs. Then I gripped it around the middle, and, with a mighty heave, got it up on to the grass. It was clarted with mud from head to foot (as was I by now). It tottered for a moment or two, then it spotted its mum, who was watching anxiously from fifty yards away. It bounded over to her and all was well again.

We headed happily home for breakfast, and I rewarded myself with an extra mug of tea. It took me two hours to get my boots clean

So if I hear any more about the over-70s having to stay hidden away at home with our Zimmer frames after everyone else has been let out, I shall say something very rude and ignore it. If I can elude my carers, that is....

• Like Like x 21
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Well done that man...

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well alright then, over 70’s to stay at home, unless rescuing lambs!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
  18. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    True, but don't forget, most people who get the virus, don't know they've got it, and of those that do, most don't need to go to ICU.

I think there is a good chance I've already been exposed to it, possibly had it, but if not, I'm not that bothered about getting it. Knowing that if there is something wrong with me I don't know about and I do need such care, that such care would be available is in fact reassuring.

The vulnerable should take extra care, but anyone on this site that isn't in a high risk group probably has more chance of being taken out by a bad driver than Covid 19!

DS

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    It has put me off eating shepherd's pie a bit...

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    yes, several research studies now indicating that the infection rate is 10-40X more than first thought, up to 21% in New York for example, meaning far more people have had it than realised, making the death rate far lower than first appears.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1