Bike intercoms

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Richard H, Jan 26, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    The scarla one doesn't look like it will com with other types....
    Or am I missing something???

2. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    My mate had one of the very cheap sets off ebay. They are supposed to do bike to bike and pillion to rider. They worked well stood on the pavement but as soon as I started the bike all I could hear was the exhaust on my bike through the headset with a 2 second delay! D'oh!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Hi Richard
    Thinking of one of these myself but one thing thats not clear from the brochure is whether the 2nd unit of a 'set' is the same as the main unit or rather a simpler unit for the pillion that just slaves off the main unit
    Did you buy a 'set' or 2 individual units?
    Cheers
    BB

4. Been looking at these for a while now and about to take the plunge...,
    Was thinking an Interphone F5 until Bill Smiths told me they'd stopped selling them due to poor back up...
    Cash was limited anyway so kept looking.... and just read that the SENA units will now communicate with other manufacturers kit!
    There's an all singing and dancing Sena SMH10 and a lesser version called an SMH05 in basic or FM (radio) versions. The 05 does most of what the 10 does at almost half the size so it looks like the 05. Anyone tried them?
    Excellent reviews on all bike stuff on the US site webbikeworld.com

5. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hear the Sena are a good unit and would have been my next choice.

Since I started this thread Jan 13 the Interphone's have performed faultlessly, used them everyday on a big Euro trip and they still kept going even through a couple of almighty downpours.

Our riding friends also have now bought the same units and all of us can chat together (if we want) handy when you are on a route and get split up by traffic.

6. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    I have fitted an Autocom system, ok its not wireless and you have to plug into it but recently went to north Yorkshire through all weathers on the motorways it was brilliant didn't let us down and its not expensive the company went bust but you still can get bits and pieces for it

All in all a 4 out of 5 in my opinion

7. Having spent best part of a year thinking about it I can confirm there's plenty of choice out there, and for a while the interphone was my lead choice, especially as my local dealer sold them. Their comment re poor after sales for the dealers didn't necessarily rule it out, just pushed me toward having another look at everything else.
    Lots of reviews on webbikeworld, although they could do with including a date with their reviews so you can be sure you're comparing like with like as things constantly changing.
    Clincher at the moment is the news that the SENA units will now communicate with other brands - although no doubt the other brands will now follow suit...
    Holiday in US coming up so plan to purchase while there at a considerable saving - then I'll just need to meet up and test it with Richards!

8. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Never saw the use in one of these as I ride bikes so I can get away from the missus talking at me :rolleyes:

Sorry guys, I just couldn't resist. :biggrin:

9. Certainly hard to justify without a pillion - in this case my 9yr old...

10. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I did resist for a while Steve, like you I could not see the point but am now a total convert.

My Mrs saved my neck using the Interphone; I was riding through a village and decided to adjust the satnav, in that moment the car in front braked to turn right into a drive. The sound of "RICHARD" being yelled through the headset from Carol behind on her bike bought me to my senses and I just managed to jump on the brakes an anchor up!

Lesson learnt ....... do not adjust satnav on the move.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    I can see what you mean, but in my case my wife is not the greatest of pillions and the conversation with her saying something like 'Your going too fast, SLOW DOWN!!!' followed by an argument that would last the rest of the ride :rolleyes:

I would seriously consider it if when my kids get older and want to go on the back but my oldest is only 7 and my father in law would kill me if he found out that his granddaughter had been on the back of my bike.

I'm going to wait a bit longer before we cross that bridge :wink:

12. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    I guess I quite lucky my Mrs is a great pillion ,she knows and trusts me so only says something if she is worried , in fact we probably have more of a conversation on the bike than we do at home LOL

13. SENA SMH5 FM Intercom

Just back from Florida and mouse-land with the intercom I ordered from Revzilla for delivery over there in the States.
    First day back home therefore spent fitting out helmets!
    The intercoms come with either the boom mic or the wired mic so I ordered with the wired for the kid's, and wife's full face helmets plus an extra boom mic / headphone kit for my Schuberth C3 flip up.
    The full face units were actually easier to fit that the Schuberth, I guess the Schuberth is probably better put together although it did mean I had to use the adhesive mount rather than the clamp as there was no access for the clamp mount on the Schuberth.
    Here's the mount on the full face:
    IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

Here's the adhesive on the Schuberth:
    IMG_1801.jpg
    And mounted: IMG_1800.jpg

Should have taken a pic of the clamp mount before fitting but it's basically just a flat plate attached to the outer part that you can see by 2 allen bolts. Just squeeze the plate up the inside of the shell until fully home and then tighten the 2 bolts.

The intercom unit just slides over the mount with a friction fit - fairly tight so being really careful getting on and off so far.

Haven't had too much use from it yet but it's obviously so much better to be able to talk to the kids instead of relying on nudges and hand signals! And stopping to find out 'what is it?' when necessary!
    The kids think it's really cool being able to listen to the radio - even tried it myself during a very relaxed ride back from my track day at Oulton last week.
    Haven't had chance to try out the bike to bike facility yet but Sena claim their units will now communicate with those from other manufacturers, and the range is claimed to be up to around 700yards.
    The SMH 5 and SMH 5 FM are pretty much Sena's basic models so don't have the full range of facilities offered by the more expensive models - facilities I imagine most of us would rarely use.
    A major feature of the Sena units is the large control dial - yes it's the volume knob but it also has other functions which make the Senas some of the easiest to control.
    Full review here>Sena SMH5-FM Review - webBikeWorld

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

• Like Like x 1