After A 15year Break...

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Notso, Dec 18, 2018.

1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Bs1948
    Woh did he hurt himself. Can't write as I am still laughing.
    Ride Free
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Pricless Ron.
    I have laughed so much today I have a headache. Well festive season.
    Ride Free
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Welcome to the Asylum you should fit right in. Don't forget the photos as it will keep the inmates happy. Ride safe _20180907_064133.jpg _20180225_065949.jpg Tucker

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    What a great welcome. I am going to like it here, don't think my boss is though! Picture of my bike to follow later on, it will be blurry, starting to bounce!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I too returned to bikes after a 30 year lay off and, as others have said, you don’t forget. However, memory and practice are not the same thing so you need to ease yourself back in and consciously do everything at 60% before creeping up to 75% and determinedly not going above 90%. Respect ageing eyesight and reactions! Don’t let ambition exceed talent.
    You have also chosen a dodgy time of year to return with greasy road surfaces, vehicles with shi**y glass obscuring views and heightened hazards. Never forget the limitedcadhesion of wet road markings and manhole covers. Even a crossing stud can give you a shimmy.
    Beyond that? Read, study and digest http://www.roadcraft.co.uk/motorcycle-roadcraft/
    Anticipation and preparation are your best friends. Lowering tyre pressures? Not for me. Take the car. Our bones heal more slowly and rather less well! We just don’t bounce the same any more.....

My key advice is to remember if you cannot see the other driver’s eyes is to reckon they cannot see you.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome aboard Notso. Enjoy the ride buddy.

Advice? Get out and ride.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi and welcome to the forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    [​IMG]

There ya go!

Would have posted sooner, but I've been riding in all my spare time, which is a tiny bit longer than the time I have spent cleaning road muck off it! Muc Off (5l £15 from TK Max believe it or not), leaf blower, micropore cloths, Waxoyl, ACF50, car wax, Muc Off dry chain lube, Oxford cover, can't wait for summer! TEC centre stand (£75 bargain) waiting for the ground to be dry before I fit it, that's if I can stop myself from riding it instead!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    And even then they are likely to be looking at their phones...and even if they do look at you don't bank on their brains being still connected to their eyes!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Umm a three course meal I could enjoy them all but I've always been a pudding person :p

• Like Like x 2
  12. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    were you pi55ed by 8.00?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome Notso just take it steady and keep away from chasing others and getting drawn in. Once you get a few miles under your belt the confidence will come back and you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  14. John Armond

John Armond New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    Spulsby
    Same as you mate . I picked up a mint 2006 Daytona 955i just before the cold weather started and rode it 200 miles to home . After 15 years i need to get my " motorcycling muscles " back but absolutely loved it . So good to be back in the saddle again . I have to upsize on the old leathers as i have put some weight on so it was a hell of a squeeze to get into them . I am lucky in that i have Clive Wood just up the road to look after it for me and he has already given me loads of good advice . Come March i will be looking around for an earlier t595 aswell as i like them so much . It's my first Triumph after years of riding Jap sporys bikes and then a 15 year gap . Ride safe and have great Christmas . Looking forward to the warmer weather

• Like Like x 1
  15. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Yes! Tried to put my old leather trousers on, but they had shrunk significantly!! Watched Wild Hogs, whenever I have a jerky moment I think of the fella that drives into hedges now!

Thanks for your Christmas wishes, happy Christmas fellow bikers, nod.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    I envy you,after all that time away you are enjoying it again,i am thinking of going the other way,been riding 44yrs BUT for at least the last 20 been riding around on my own and i absolutely hate it,BSB keeps me having a bike in the summer i go to all of them but even that's not enough just fed up of riding on my own,love to go for a ride with like minded people and have a chat about bikes half way round,really miss that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hey mate, I know what you mean, riding is more enjoyable in a group, bit of banter over a cuppa when you stop etc.
    If you like racing and want to come along to some clubman rounds next year, I will be racing in Formula Pro Stocks, Bandit challenge, you are more than welcome to come and have a brew and a chat in the paddock. If you want to see where and when check out NG Racing website or read my thread below, I will update this as the season gets going.

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/clubman-racing-diary-of-a-newbie.16018/

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    There ya go!

Would have posted sooner, but I've been riding in all my spare time, which is a tiny bit longer than the time I have spent cleaning road muck off it! Muc Off (5l £15 from TK Max believe it or not), leaf blower, micropore cloths, Waxoyl, ACF50, car wax, Muc Off dry chain lube, Oxford cover, can't wait for summer! TEC centre stand (£75 bargain) waiting for the ground to be dry before I fit it, that's if I can stop myself from riding it instead![/QUOTE]

I cant see that photo, anyone else?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    [​IMG]

Trying again

20. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull