Featured Tyres (again)

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Sam Wells, Sep 5, 2023.

1. Sam Wells

Sam Wells Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2022
    Bristol
    So, I have my Street Twin with me on holiday in Devon, UK, and I picked up a slow puncture 3 days ago. What a pain in the a**e I thought, but a trip to ProTyre in Plymouth ( outstanding service) and I am now shod with a pair of Bridgestone BT023’s. I’ve read a lot about just how shocking the standard Pirelli Phantom’s are, but until today I just didn’t get it. Wow, she is like a different bike - no twitching over white lines, grooves in the road surface, no problem. To say I’m over the moon is putting it mildly!

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    The Street Twin was never intended to be a sports bike but as you've discovered the handling can be massively improved with a decent set of tyres. Most ST owners have by now realised what a mistake Triumph made with those terrible Phantoms and swopping to just about any other tyre is an improvement. I lived with them for a few weeks, thinking the twitching and inability to cope with our crap roads was somehow down to me getting used to a new bike. But it wasn't me. The Continentals on mine have made a significant difference. I'm glad to hear you've seen the light :sun:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #3 Eldon, Sep 9, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
    Avon Storms on my ST and any handling issues don't seem to be down to the tyres.

Rear shockers are another story. Previous owner had fitted what looks like TEC units and I couldn't recommend them. At an advertised price under £200 I think that says it all, two up they are rubbish with minimal damping i.e. bottoming out, on certain shape road defects.

20230909_112826.jpg

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Yup, TEC shocks are pretty basic and twiddling with the damping adjuster does bugger-all. I still think they're an improvement over the OE shocks but Hagons have got to be better, or YSS.

Went on the bike to the 'Wings and Wheels' show at the old Woodfield airfield in Cheshire today. My wife came with me, her first time as pillion in over 30 years. Being two-up really showed how poor the TEC shocks are. I think it's about time I upgraded :grinning:

Also bumped into Paul AKA RevPaul, on his Street Cup. Nice to meet you Paul and put a face to a name.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Good to meet you too @beerkat, good show wasn't it:grinning:? Hopefully we'll meet again (did you see what I did there?:joy:) somewhere.

Following a puncture my Street Cup's rubbish Pirelli Phantoms were binned for a pair of Avon Road Rider Mk2s, night and day improvement in handling no more white-lining or drifting out in corners:cool:. I have Triumph's accessory Fox shocks on my SC; very happy with them as fitted straight out of the box on standard settings. They work well with TEC's progressive springs in the front forks which give a much better ride than Triumph's standard springs. One day I'll experiment with properly setting up the rear shocks but as I say at present I'm very happy with them as they are.

Enjoy your rides:cool:.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
  7. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
  8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #8 Eldon, Sep 9, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
    The YSS is fully rebuildable plus they have rebound AND compression adjustments.
    A lot of the shocks in that range have one OR the other not both.

So YSS has;
    Compression adjustment
    Rebound adjustment
    Length can be +/_ 5mm
    Preload is infintely variable by ring collar.

Even the Ohlins at this budget doesn't possess both damping adjustments.

@beerkat to answer the Hagon query;
    There seems three price points for this application.
    £400 ish
    £700 ish
    And
    £1300 ish.

I speculated that the £400 area whilst an improvement over OE may still be lacking for two up use. They may be perfectly fine for solo use so I wouldn't dismiss them entirely but that is not my criteria.

The £700 area is a significant investment, without being silly, in my opinion for what I am after. The wife has really taken to this bike as pillion (she has a full licence) and enjoys it's foibles, but not the suspension ramming the seat up her 4rse :eek: so something needed to happen.

At this bikes performance level and intended use frankly £1300 shocks would be a waste in my opinion. Yes great on something more sporty but I want plush rough road handling not race track performance from a 60 hp twin :rolleyes:

Hope that helps but your mileage may vary etc. just my opinions for what they are worth.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    For £700 you could do far worse than the Fox. Made with and for Triumph, great reputation, etc etc (I'm certainly happy with mine).

10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I'm certainly not knocking Fox as they are a company with an excellent reputation.

For me the adjustability of the YSS won it.

11. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    The Fox units do have both preload and compression adjustment, FWIW.

12. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    You didn't read my post correctly;
    The YSS have both adjustable rebound and compression damping. At this price point I'm not aware of anyone else offering this are you?

They all offer preload adjustment.

13. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I understood your post. I was just sharing the adjustment capabilities of the Fox, so readers understand the options available.

14. cyclelife

cyclelife New Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Oakham, Rutland. UK
    Not having rebound adjustment is poor, as you can't adjust how quickly the shocks extend after a hit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    or restore themselves such as after a mid corner pothole etc.
    Rebound makes a big difference if multiple ripples are encountered as if excessive this can lead to a stacking effect thus reducing ground clearance; If insufficient then it will be like a ride on a pogo stick.