Featured The Other Triumph

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Wire-Wheels, Nov 7, 2023.

1. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Got a new toy to play with today. This one is from the OTHER Triumph. 1973 Triumph TR6. Something to play with. I will be freshen it up this winter. ...J.D.

1973-Tr6-03.jpg

• Like Like x 23
  2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Lovely looking car, enjoy !

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    What a great looking car. Have lots of fun with it!!!;):party:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I was expecting knickers and bras :joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Oooh, that’s bloody lovely!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    What a great new toy, @Wire Wheels! Have a grand time with it and please keep us posted on the freshening up process through the winter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I have wanted one of these since they came out in the late 60's. At 78 yrs. old, I think I am overdue. Needs a little servicing, and some minor cosmetics, but you buy the best one you can afford and you will save money in the long run. Winter project. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    It needs wire wheels, Wire-Wheels

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    I like the TR6. The TR7 was an abomination. One drew up next to me and my dad as we were refueling a few months ago. It was in red. Very nice. I also like the Stag.
    I can only look at them though as I can't get my legs in most of them and have difficulty closing the rag top over my bonce.
    I did have a MGTF replica based on a Herald back in the day (Gentry). I sold it to buy a Spider. Not my best decision.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Ah, the Stag. What a lovely car.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I have been going over this one the last couple of weeks, as time permits. According to what documentation I received with the car, it was only driven about 4000 miles in the last 8 years. I am currently doing a major service on it. Spark plugs, valve adjustment,
    timing, oil and coolant change, etc. I also have some mechanical parts ordered. All of these I have ever seen in person had the steel wheels. I have seen pictures of them with wires, but I think that fashion was beginning to lose popularity in the US after the TR4. I was making my living working on imported cars during that period. This really takes me back to my younger days. Thank you all for your interest. ...J.D.

1973-TR6-04.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  13. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Very nice :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    Lovely car, chap down the road had one and blew the head gasket on it within a month because he drove it like a modern car. Apparently the cause was a partially blocked radiator due to the cooling system being neglected. I saw a program called Wheeler Dealers on the Stag and they changed the rad for a new/re-cored one and after flushing the system through put antifreeze in it (is it a aluminium engine, which causes some of the problems around blocking the radiator because of different metal corrosion?) At least in California the bodywork should be good as the english climate makes them rot. I'll be interested to hear what you do to.it and your experience of ownership.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Fortunately, the TR6 is a steel cast engine. Both the block and cylinder head. I am changing the coolant as soon as I get myself up and running today [coffee, COFFEE]. Sadly, I am getting to the point I do not know how long I am going to be able to ride motorcycles. At 78, I am deteriorating a bit. My balance is not as good as it once was. Sports cars were my first passion. So, back to my first love. This thing is not much more than a 4 wheel motorcycle. I also have a modern sports car, but this era is much more interesting. Old Gearhead's never quit having fun ! ...J.D.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    If I’m still riding at 78 I’ll be over the moon. Kudos to you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    This is an issue that we will all have to face sooner or later. We need a thread on here for the "over the hill" riders. Good sense is telling me I should stop riding soon. It does not help that my once rural community has grown into a large suburb, with crazy traffic. and people that blow through stops signs and traffic lights any time they think they can get away with it. These people are nuts!!! ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Wire-Wheels.
    Well its all been said mate. But once again what a beauty.
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    I’m only a couple of years behind you and two years ago bought a new Street Triple R which I’m loving. I must admit that the riding crouch on the Ducati gets me in the back of the neck after an hour or two.

20. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Baza, I have one word for you. Yoga! :) I just got back on the "yoga horse" a few months ago after not doing it for over three years between my bicycle accident and Covid closures. I can DEFINITELY feel the positive difference it makes in how I feel on my motorcycles--including my neck. Plus I can actually turn around to do a head check again. :joy:

I'm realizing that the physical activities and exercises I've done in the past 300 years--cycling, running, weight lifting, yoga--I did for racing, fitness, vanity, social connections. These reasons for my exercise routines have now paled in comparison to my primary reason--I want to be able to keep riding as long as I possibly can!

That said, @Wire-Wheels, I think it's awesome that you are returning to your first love AND that you are willing to listen to your good sense telling you the time is nearing to stop riding and start driving. :heart: I know my day will come and that I will be as objective and sensible as you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1