Featured Lesson Learned

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Mongoose, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Mongoose

Mongoose Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2023
    Georgia
    Yesterday, we finally got a break from the heat and rain, so I headed up to Suches, Georgia, up in the mountains. There is a facility there called TWO, (Two Wheels Only) a full service resort for motorcyclists. After a Coke, and some in-depth BSing with other riders, a most important facet of the experience, I headed home. I was thinking about the so-called "Lean Indicators " Triumph puts on their bikes, which I scraped several times that day, and thinking what a stupid thing they were. After all, I've been riding for 60 years, and I know how to handle the twisties. As I came into a really tight right hand sweep, I was going too fast, and began to feel the pull. A truck was coming from the opposite direction, close to the center line, and I almost panicked! Thank GOD, I was able to brake, gear down, and almost s--- myself!!!!!

There is a reason they put lean indicators on Triumphs........Lesson learned, or reminded thereof. 60 years experience doesn't mean squat when riding beyond one's skill level.......The Mad Mongoose.....OUT!

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    Thanks for sharing......

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Higerty

Higerty Member

Oct 14, 2022
    Swansea, South Wales
    It's a new one on me. Is that a US Triumph thing or something that needs translating into UK English?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    Glad you are ok and it is another lesson.
    When I scrape the pegs I'm making an effort to slow down and take it easy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mongoose

Feb 19, 2023
    Georgia
    Armando, I think you'd agree that it's a scary feeling when you realize you've ridden beyond your ability. I got off easy this time....The Mad Mongoose.....OUT!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I think you could fit some training wheels. After having "60yrs experience "? There are old riders and there are reckless riders. You are either one or the other. Those are just the laws of nature. ...J.D.

7. Mongoose

Feb 19, 2023
    Georgia
    It's possible to do the same thing wrong for 60 years.....I rode beyond my ability, and was reminded of the laws of nature. I will be getting training wheels next year! The Mad Mongoose.....OUT!

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Traveler

Traveler Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2023
    Helena, Sweet Home Alabama
    That is easy to do on that road. (I'm assuming you were on 60 heading down to US 19 or maybe 180)

TWO hasn't been quite the same since the old man died. JMHO

You ever get over to Sunrise Grocery near Blairsville? The Old Sunrise Grocery|Blairsville, GA

9. Mongoose

Feb 19, 2023
    Georgia
    I've never been to that grocery. What is the draw?

10. Traveler

Traveler Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2023
    Helena, Sweet Home Alabama
    Not sure there's a 'draw' but they have everything from great photography prints Jason takes to every kind of canned food, pickles, & veggies you can imagine to t-shirts, caps ice cream, etc. worth a stop for sure. I rode by it for years before I finally stopped for gas. Just a cool place to browse around. Oh yeah, they have some pretty good boiled peanuts as well!