Featured Had A Look At The New 400s

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Jet City, Nov 4, 2023.

1. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    #1 Jet City, Nov 4, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
    Triumph brought the new Speed 400 and Scram 400 to the Seattle area. I had the chance to sit on them and take a few pics.

The build quality seems crazy good considering the Speed 400 is $5,000 USD and the Scram $5,500. Triumph is getting 40HP out of the motor and the bikes are grownup sized. They are very light although they had no fluids so obviously they are heavier on the road.

The Speed has the “wet look” paint that the Rocket and Street Triple have. So glossy!

IMG_9579.jpeg

IMG_9576.jpeg

IMG_9568.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  2. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    The suspension seemed very soft. I’m not a big guy and it flexed a lot from simply sitting on the bike.

USD forks and radial brakes, though? Nice aluminum castings at the headlight shell instead of stamped metal? The quality level makes it obvious that we’ve never been able to build stuff so well and so cheaply.

My first bike was a 1983 Suzuki 650 that cost the equivalent of $6,100 in 2023 US dollars, so 20% more than the Speed. It was not built as well as the Speed 400, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Yes fully agree the immediate impression of the suspension was it was far too softly damped, bearing in mind it was a simple sit on and bounce in the showroom.
    Salesman tried telling me it had a soft spring rate to allow for off road use o_O
    I carefully pointed out that we weren't discussing spring rates for personal weight preload but damping rates..... I think the salesperson was at the limit of their knowledge.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. blacktiger

blacktiger Member

May 14, 2023
    St. Leonards on sea
    All bikes seem to be undersprung for what has become the normal weight of modern riders. 13 ~16 stone - 180 ~ 210 pounds. That's the problem with getting a racing snake to test ride them.
    And with suspension being a bit of a dark art, most sales people haven't a clue and I have to say nor has Triumph judging by the Scram1200XC I bought recently.
    That tank paint looks lush..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    I saw them a couple of weeks ago. The Scambler did seem a bit soft. I don't know if these are production units or pre-production, or how much adjustment is available. Suspension seems to be one thing that gets sacrificed when keeping prices low. I still look forward to riding them.
    Overall, they are impressive looking. I don't know how much appetite there is in US for smaller bikes, but I'll bet these will sell well in many markets.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Yeah, I hope that they do well in the US. It will be interesting to see what the press thinks of them. If they ride as well as they look they deserve to sell.

The 400s are made in India (but to Triumph specifications).

This is not a criticism; two of my three Triumphs were made in Thailand and the build quality is excellent. I'm not sure that manufacturers can make a people's bike like the 400 and be competitive without manufacturing somewhere like India or Thailand.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Might be good springs for me, then! I have NEVER had a bike which stock suspension that would work because of the focus on the "normal weight of modern riders". FYI, I weigh 115--probably 125 all geared up. On more than one occasion I've had riding buddies suggest I ride around with a backpack full of rocks. :rolleyes::joy: I'll have to see if our local Triumph dealer has either or both of these bikes and check them out!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for sharing the photos and your impressions with us, @Jet City!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Must be losing my eyesight at first i thought it looked like grey coloured duct tape

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tumblingdice54

tumblingdice54 New Member

Dec 8, 2023
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Everything I have seen or heard on-line about these bikes has changed my opinion of my next ride. So I put a deposit down on a Speed 400 in Caspian Blue today for early spring delivery and will be getting the deposit back tomorrow on the new Honda that I had ordered. Now the hard part - waiting 4 months for winter to disappear!

• Like Like x 4
  11. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I’m not usually swayed by new bikes although I’m interested at some point to test one

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I saw the 400's at the show in Birmingham a few weeks ago and was quite smitten with the scrambler.

• Like Like x 2