Featured A New Addition

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by johne, Jul 1, 2023.

1. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    #1 johne, Jul 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    Since selling my VRF800 to a friend last year I haven't got a bike in the garage that's really suitable for touring on. The Street Triple could be press ganged into that role I suppose and would no doubt perform admirably, but I was on the look out for something reasonably small (easy to handle and move around in the garage and driveway) That was my thinking anyway.

High on the list of candidates was a Guzzi V7. I was loaned one for the day when I took my Tuono in for a service a couple of years ago. I think Guzzi's tend to be Marmite bikes. You love them or you leave them. I've had a few big block Guzzis in my time and I'm in the former camp. I love the laid back attitude and easy mile munching capabilities of Moto Guzzi's large capacity V twins. I hadn't really thought of another big block Guzzi as I'm in my mid 60's now and having ridden a V7, they seemed ideal for the job with the shaft drive, comparatively light weight and all.

Then I spied an advert for the Breva 1100. As the owner didn't live too far from me (about an hours ride). I went to have a look and the bike was as good as the advert said it was. The owner is a smashing bloke who has several other bikes and as he's lived and worked overseas for many years that explained why a 16 year old bike had less than 2500 miles on the odo. Although not shown in the photo, the bike came with the matching hard panniers which are a doddle to fit and remove from the bike itself. The large touring screen also keeps you out of the elements. It was recently serviced with new tyres, so ironically after the search for a smaller and lighter bike than the VFR, I've gone and bought a larger and heavier one! Riding it home yesterday I had a broad grin on my face as these bikes truly are very capable tourers. All I need to do now is to get my a**e into gear and go touring on it.
    20230701_083820.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  2. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Congratulations to your new bike!;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Looking forward to photos and stories of your first touring adventure aboard your new-to-you Breve, @johne! Congratulation on your purchase. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    20230425_140005.jpg Great choice of bike - I'm also in the former camp :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  5. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    +1 for the former camp. I had an 1100i Cali for a few years - absolutely loved that bike !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I was nearly in the former camp, couldn’t decide between a Bonneville and a V7 and just before my birthday several years ago my wife bought me a premium leather jacket which said……

TRIUMPH!

think that swung it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Not one, but two Tuonos slumbering in the garage this week. Junior borrowed the Guzzi a week ago and I'm yet to get it back. :laughing::laughing:. 20230726_112254.jpg :expressionless:

• Like Like x 3