Featured 1980 Shovel

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Iron, Feb 18, 2024.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    #1 Iron, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    This was one of the first 80 cubic inch Wide Glides. These were originally black with flames on the tanks and a wide front end with 21inch spoked wheels up front. There's no way I could have afforded the insurance let alone the bike back then.
    I've had Harleys (and was, honestly, glad to see the back of them) but always wanted a Shovelhead so this one's mine. Plan is to keep this one along with one (or two Bonnies) and when I can't kick them over any more - I'll hang them on the wall.
    A few bits have changed recently. S&S super stock and stroker bottom end. Solid Fatboy front on the rear (or was it a Sportster back wheel), Revtech sprocket, Thunderstar mag front wheel, Paughco wide springer front end, P&M four pot up front, bates mini headlight, T bars, Kustom Tech controls on the way, mucho altered Sportster tank and frame and still loads to muse over.

1a.jpg

Still have to get and alter a metal back mudguard (this one's a plastic one just to see the length I want), sort the seat to fit and work, paint to do (gonna be a black/grey AMF stripey job), rewire the whole thing, new back light and number plate bracket, make a battery box, etc. Fingers crossed for later this summer. It's so loud - don't know about 'Loud pipes saves lives' these will have to get some baffles. :cool: Can you dig it?

• Like Like x 11
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    i like the old shovelheads. i was never into the customary reasons for owning a harley, but awhile back i bought a friends 1997 tube frame buell. has a strong 1200 cc motor and he upgraded the suspension, induction, and exhaust. handling limits are better than i can exceed and it easily does the ton two-up.

i put a bigger front pulley on it and took it to the landspeed races once and it did a very respectable 132 mph.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Yes, very respectable indeed :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    what are you doing for carburation on that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    CV carb from Killer motorcycle products. Bolted straight on and started straight up. Had to replace the black cap with 'Killer' written across it though. LOL. Nice to have a choke instead of tickling.

• Like Like x 2
  6. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Nice looking bike mate :) never been a harley fan but a lot of my mates are, feeling left out i did build one back in 2008 but sadly it just didn't work out for me :-(

833sig-1 (2).jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I can definitely dig it, @Iron! Awesome bike. Have fun with it. :grinning::heart:

I thought you in particular would find this bike interesting, Iron. :) Our buddy (in the pics) rebuilt it for his brother who lives in Alaska. It'll get shipped once the weather improves there. He even did the paint himself. He just finished it up a few days ago and rode it over to our place so we could see it "in the flesh". He always says "this is the last one" after he does a bike. But then, nope. Another one "magically" appears in his shop.

IMG_9695.jpeg

IMG_9689.jpeg

IMG_9683.jpeg

IMG_9684.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  8. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Sorry, been away for a bit - life and all that.
    Nice one for Alaska. I assume it's warmed up a touch there now.

Still loads to do on mine but getting on with the paint.

3a.jpg

Clear and polishing to, hang fire life again bugger, c ya.................laters x.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Yep same here, busy rebuilding my forks for the third time in a week and just thinking I'll have this sorted tonight and .... the workshop door opens :rolleyes:
    "Are you coming in for this tea or NOT?
    Can't believe your messing about :eek: in the garage again!"

SWMBO is a Rottweiler at times :joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Not really my cup of tea @Sandi T as we say over here, but I can appreciate the engineering and paintwork for sure, nice one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Wiring and brakelines to do and should be about there.

1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  12. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Never been into Harleys but there is always an exception. Very nice job.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Love that tank, @Iron! :heart_eyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Just saw the whole shebang after I hit send on my previous post, @Iron. The book looks terrific! Great work. :grinning::heart:

• Like Like x 1