Tiger Sport Would You Trust The Tiger 660 With A 10k Miles Road Trip?

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Proper, Aug 6, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Proper

Proper New Member

Aug 6, 2023
    Svaltibartfast
    #1 Proper, Aug 6, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
    I'm trying to figure out which is the right Tiger for me and tbh I'm a little biased (read: almost decided) towards the 660. Reasons are several: first of all I come from a 765 R and I loved the agility and overall performances on the street (as in 'the asphalt'). The main use would be commute, so I'm planning to clock in a lot of miles already there using it at least 10 months a year.

That would be an easy choice then (for the 660 that is) if it wasn't for some serious mile munching I'm planning for the next summer. Austria, north of Italy, France, the UK, possibly Norway and Sweden too. No offroad planned but who knows, maybe up north there's not much of a choice. Nothing that really requires a proper adventure bike I hope but at this point in time I have no idea really about where I'll be going exactly.

Do you think the 660 could have troubles handling 10k miles with luggages and whatnot (no pillion) in say 3 to 4 weeks? Where would you draw the line between an year-round commuter and a proper mile muncher?

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #2 Eldon, Aug 9, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
    Yes of course it could do it, why not?

A Honda C90 can be "a proper adventure bike" :yum
    Please explain what your definition of a "proper adventure bike" is?

Some of these behemoths you see touted as such would be pretty useless in true offroad situations to the majority of buyers.

Screenshot_20230809_102013_eBay.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    You need to be clear about how you want to use the bike after the tour. It's a big stretch that you've planned with the tour, but what comes after? If I were you, I'd consider whether a touring variant might suit your needs more. That is, for example: Triumph 660 Sports + luggage set, Tiger 900 or even Tiger 1200.
    But as you may know, there are numerous members in our forum who tour with sporty Triumph variants throughout Europe. The decision ultimately remains to you. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    And of course @Proper your own physical size, fitness and health comes into it and to a lesser degree age.
    You need to assess and analyse that, share if you wish, so that others could advise more appropriately.

To put it in context;
    Isle of Man Manx GP 2017.
    Beginning of the week we got chatting to a group of Dads n Lads who were all on Honda 50/70/90s.
    We were on big road bikes, myself on a Honda CB1000R. We travelled all over the island and saw them numerous times through the week. They even did a bit of trail riding on them and had a right laugh.
    I asked about the lack of knobblies off road.
    They just brushed it off with, it's more fun this way and you can't get stuck anyway as 2 or 3 of us just pick it up and carry it.

Try doing that with your Tiger 1200 or GS?

It's all about fun isn't it, most bikes are capable of adventure it just needs a good pilot with the right attitude and outlook ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    @Eldon good points of view and good story example

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Of course the 660 can do it. @Wessa , tell him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Proper

Proper New Member

Aug 6, 2023
    Svaltibartfast
    #7 Proper, Aug 9, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    Ok you've got me, I haven't specified a lot of stuff so let me see if I can get my facts straight. First of all: I'm young, tall (6'1'' or 185cm), perfectly fit and excruciatingly handsome. I can handle a fast bike too but I'm no track dweller. I consider myself experienced enough having had more than 5 bikes in my repertoire through a couple of decades (more like 10-15 including all the 50cc and 125cc in my teens). Never a proper adventure bike though, that's not really my style but a Tiger GT is as far as I could go if needs be.

I like a bike to be light, agile and to follow them twisties but I want to use it to commute as well, then carry my most valuable self all around Europe in the summer. Personally speaking I think my favorite bike to tour the world with would be the Speed Triple but comfort and luggages start to be a serious concern on that one. And let's be honest, it's a total waste if you're forced to keep the damn 70 day in and day out. I should also admit I have a 'speed problem', I struggle to keep them damn 70 most of the times so something that doesn't have 200 happy ponies would be advisable, at least to bring the driving license back home. Another thing worth mentioning: I can have only one bike so the cheap commuter + the shiny tourer is not an option.

The main thing I'm trying to understand is: what benefit a mighty Tiger 850 or 900 GT can offer over the little one? As I said I wanna tour the far north and I'm pretty sure there are tons of small roads up there through forests and mountains and fjords and shores... you tell me. But those I'm afraid could present some major limitation for the 660. I can handle light gravel on a street bike (I consider the 660 still a street bike having the 17'' to the front) but not if it's 200 miles straight in one go. And then again the day after for a couple of weeks.

Then there are reliability issues. How does it handle with 40kg of luggages for a month? Am I right thinking that custom side panniers (like the GIVI V37) are way better than the OEM ones? Does it have any problems that I should be aware of? Like, when I was touring Corsica and Sardinia on my Aprilia Shiver I had problems to my dash. Basically after being exposed to the merciless sun for hours it would just go blank. If the bike was running, nothing bad happened (except me sh..tting myself) but if it was not running it wouldn't switch the engine on. The solution was simple, just cover it few mins in the shadow and let it cool a bit but trust me the first time it happened I freaked out thinking the bike was dead in the middle of nowhere at 42c lol

I've heard people saying the 660 is a bit 'plasticky' especially around the tank, the foot rests are cheap and slippery, the rear brake pedal is super spongy (not the brake, just the pedal), the side stand may be prone to cracking. Then: does it vibrate a lot? I mean it's a triple, the smoothest engine out there but you never know, there are lots of parts that can vibrate apart from the engine, maybe the plasticky bits gets loose overtime. I'm not too worried about the suspensions because I'm planning to replace them with adjustable ones but how do the stock one behave after 10 or 20k miles? How does it handle some occasional offroad? What's its limit in the dirt? It won't climb on wet rocks nor cross icy fords, but how about sand, weedy bits, roots, gravel...? Can I just mount a tasselated rubber and keep going or do I need a whole different bike for them bits?

TL,DR: I want to put 70k miles on this bike in the course of the next 5 years and travel from Sicily to Norway. That's my definition of 'mile muncher'. Is the 660 a proper mile muncher?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. DamonYVR

DamonYVR Member

Dec 2, 2021
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Hi,
    I have an 850, which is more different than similar, despite the name. I'm thinking of size and riding position (possibly) as well as the character of the motor; the 850/900's are the off-beat firing order rather than the even firing of the 660. I'm 5'11", 206 lbs, and rakishly irresistible, especially with my modular helmet closed.

More relevantly, I did two moderately long rides this year; in June my 14 day trip covered 3600 kms down the US coast and back to the Touratech Rally. 11 of those days were riding; 3 lounging. Then in July I rode from Vancouver to Sturgis, South Dakota, for the Revzilla Rally. 17 days (14 riding) and 6000 kms.

Two 42l hard cases and a 60 l seat/ tail bag. Total weight of gear in the 80 lb range. Riding partner was on an Africa Twin, so bigger all around.

Fascinating stuff, I know!

There was no problem with the bike at all in terms of riding long days at 70 mph/ 115 kph. That is my personal limit in terms of comfort. But the rider and gear and all that stuff went on the bike, and off we went. I never felt the bike wouldn't do more than I was capable of. Not a single hiccup, and no discernible change in oil level.

So my thought is that the 660, may or may not be quite long-legged enough for you, esp if you have gear and you like higher speeds. The 888 cc of the new 900 series is probably a bit better for torque, but that may or may not be true depending on how you ride; thinking of RPM etc. I personally dislike screaming engines, and I have a larger windscreen so I'm both aero challenged and happily, in a quiet place on the bike. KickAss seat cushion as well.

I don't have any doubts about the capability of the 660, but I would expect personal comfort and endurance to be the limiting factors of that bike on that voyage.

IMG_0807.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  9. Proper

Proper New Member

Aug 6, 2023
    Svaltibartfast
    #9 Proper, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    I went to the dealer last saturday and tried em both. The 900 was in the 'rally pro' sauce, but with street tyres. I have to admit, I felt a bit underwhelmed by the 660. It was easy to ride and light enough to still be called agile, but everything seemed like a compromise.

Riding position as well as mere HP available doesn't make it sporty enough to compare with the street triple, power delivery was all different, I felt the lack of a sport map as soon as I opened the throttle. The seat and the forks make it a pretty stiff bike overall. I'm sure with the comfort seat things may vary but still, you're locked into one position and can barely move your bum around. The heat at the ankles is also very noticeable. Bear in mind it's full blown summer here but it was also 9.30 am when I tried it. I'm sure on long miles on the highway the lack of a cruise control would be noticeable as well but there are aftermarket mechanical solution for that. The foot rests are really ugly, cheap and slippery as I heard they were. One more thing that would require an aftermarket solution. The dash is nothing to write home about too so, my personal overall verdict for 10k quids worth of bike was a big MEH!

All in all, a nice ground to build upon. But for the same token, way too expensive if you consider that 2k more quids are basically required to transform it into a proper tourer. And no, I wouldn't do any kind of offroad on it.

Coming to the 900, that felt like a properly refined platform. And surprisingly agile too considering it has a 21'' in the front (and that the last time I rode a 21'' front was about 20 years ago). Of course it was the pro version so that's the least one can expect but that's also what I would call a 'proper mile muncher'.

There is one big thing I was absolutely surprised by in the 900 though, and I mean in a negative way: the unbalanced firing order makes a MASSIVE difference in the way the engine delivers the torque. I did NOT like that at all! It really feels almost like a twin. I mean the sound is beautiful, but boy that is not the triple I was looking for either.

All in all: I see a Tiger 800 XRT in my future :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. DamonYVR

DamonYVR Member

Dec 2, 2021
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Sure, whatever suits you. T'he 800 has the even firing order, and so doesn't 'feel' like a twin. It also doesn't do low-down torque like the T-Plane engines. That is the trade off. If it is not what you want, then off you go to another engine design.

The new Tigers are intended to be ADV bikes, so there is a benefit off-road, and a compromise, possibly, for touring, RE engine feel and behaviour. For me, that is the triple I'm looking for.

But don't lump all twins together. I did an off-road ride in June on the KTM 890 Adventure (not the S) and it is nothing like the Tiger triple. As much as the T-Plane is designed to mimic/replicate some of the typical twin benefits, it is not at all like a KTM twin.

Consider a Guzzi, or a GS if touring is your target. Top of my head, I'd say go for a Yamaha FJ-09/ Tracer 900. That is a speedy bike with a whizzy-turbine triple engine. It might just be the sauce you seek.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1