Whining Noise - Fuel Pump 2014 Scrambler

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by malangon, Oct 29, 2019.

1. malangon

malangon New Member

Aug 24, 2019
    Chester, NJ
    Hi all,

I previously posted about my 2014 Scrambler. Stalled out when I was cut off by a car and wouldn't start again. The electrical seems fine, engine turns over, but not start. A nearby mechanic said it "sounded" like a fuel delivery issue.

I just changed out the fuel filter, fuel pump relay, and the fuse looks ok.

When I replaced the tank and tried to start, I am hearing a whining noise from the fuel pump that sounds like a pump that is not primed. Little hard to describe.

I tried a few times and no luck.

I assume at this point that the relay and fuse are fine since the pump is operating. I was told the pump is self priming so I don't need to fill the filter when I replaced it.

At this point I am only guessing but is the pump not getting the intake of fuel? I haven't ridden this bike enough for there to be any junk in the tank. I checked the stainless steel pre-filter and it looked ok but I didn't closely inspect it. Maybe something is clogging that intake?

Any suggestions?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Malangon.
    First thing is check your battery is fit for purpose. When you turn your bike let it prime and go through it's motions. You may have a bit of air in the system and do make sure you have not trapped any of the fuel lines or any lines whilst working at it. A simple way to test is get a funnel and bit of tube and connect direct that way the fuel should get in there directly. See if it fires up.
    Regards
    Joe.

3. malangon

malangon New Member

Aug 24, 2019
    Chester, NJ
    New battery, been on a conditioner. I have seen the recommendation about batter repeatedly but again if the bike is powering up, I can hear the pump operating - it doesn't strike me as an electrical problem but rather a mechanical one.