Which Suspension Of The Two?

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by Luciano Martinelli, May 9, 2024.

1. Luciano Martinelli

Luciano Martinelli New Member

Dec 8, 2023
    Bergamo
    Can you help me decide which of the two for my Speed Twin 900 (2022)?
    After having searched, compared and discarded a few suspensions (from Maxton, YSS, Olhins, Wielbers, Nitron, and others), some due to cost, some due to import taxes, some due to non-compatibility with my bike, I have narrowed down the choice to these two:
    - Bitubo T0031WME02V2, around €450
    - Shock Factory - 2WIN, about €100 more
    I really like both, preload and rebound adjustment, 341 wheelbase...opinions on this?
    Here are the links to the products:
    https://speciallabmotorcycle.com/am...tile_guida-stradale/18140-peso_pilota-70_80kg

https://shock-factory.fr/en/content/10-2win-twin-shock-absorbers

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Both good shocks. I myself use Hagon who build the shock to you and the bike in question and type of riding. But i suppose again you would be hammered in postage. Joe

• Like Like x 2
  3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Personally I chose and have the YSS on my 900 for the separate compression and rebound adjustment.
    I'm not sure cheaper options have both functions, so it depends how important that is to you?

You might want to factor into your budget a front end upgrade?
    I have YSS springs, emulators and 10w oil in mine.
    Handles well with a significant gain in the suspension department, not perfect, but then only a thousand quid and definitely worthwhile.
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luciano Martinelli

Dec 8, 2023
    Bergamo
    On the front I already have progressive TEC springs with preload adjustment... now, having fixed the front, I realized how much need there is to intervene at the rear too...
    On the rear I'm undecided: both models have separate compression and rebound adjustment. I just have to decide whether that extra €120 is justified or not. Aesthetically I like the Shock Factory more, they seem better made, but that's a judgment based exclusively on photographs...

5. Luciano Martinelli

Dec 8, 2023
    Bergamo
    What model of YSS suspension did you fit?

6. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    It's a bit mad that you buy a (new? newish?) bike then have to spend 'only' £1000 to improve the suspension, which even then isn't perfect. But then we all know that most manufacturers build down to a price and upgrading is almost taken for granted. Imagine if it was the same when you bought a car, I somehow don't think they'd get away with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #7 Eldon, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
    Agree but who says you " then HAVE to spend xyz"?

Surely it's all about personal choice isn't it, nobody is forcing you to upgrade anything!

See my comment elsewhere on here, we are now the victims of accountants designing motorcycles rather than engineers :rolleyes::confused:

It's actually funny @beerkat that you brought cars into this;
    When we bought our last small runabout, I said to the sales guy on test drive, this car won't do as it is too underdamped on the suspension :joy:

Next option is?
    :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    I do wish people would stop blaming us bean counters for all the ills of the world! Accountants determine how much it costs but it's MARKETING that decide how much price the local market will bear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. struv

struv Member

Jun 4, 2023
    Teesside
    i went for hagon and it rides lovely i have in the past spent a fortune on ohlins white power ect only to ruin the ride with my fiddling so now and especialy as my speed twin and myself could never really utilize the adjust ability i go basic but good quality

• Like Like x 1
  10. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    No, of course you don't have to spend another bean on your bike once you've bought it. Your choice. But if you're are a reasonably experienced rider, and know how a motorcycle should or could handle, then it can be frustrating to buy a bike which doesn't do what you know it should.
    I had never ridden a (modern) Triumph twin before I bought mine, but knew within a few days that it shouldn't be bouncing me out of the seat because the shock damping was poor. Similarly, the original Pirelli Phantom tyres do not allow the bike to handle as well as it could. Changing both of those things made a big difference. My choice, but I doubt if I would have kept the bike had I not been prepared to spend the extra.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    20231003_185915.jpg

20231003_174640.jpg

12. ivenoidea

ivenoidea Member

Feb 25, 2023
    Essex
    How about Hyperpro,they do springs to rebuild the OE shocks as i recall ?

13. Luciano Martinelli

Dec 8, 2023
    Bergamo
    I finally decided...Shock Factory! :party:
    Thank you all for the valuable information.

• Like Like x 1